Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 7 Jul 2019, 13:59 (Ref:3916317)   #4026
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Lucky that football is just a game, so it does not matter that the ladies who represent England are pretty useless.
Oh wow! Contentious to say the least
Old 7 Jul 2019, 14:49 (Ref:3916319)   #4027
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Oh wow! Contentious to say the least
Why? Did they win something then?
I must have missed it!!
Old 7 Jul 2019, 15:05 (Ref:3916322)   #4028
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why? Did they win something then?
I must have missed it!!
Absolutely no idea as I have no interest in people kicking an inflated leather bladder around, it's more the semantics involved. Are the gentlemen footballers also useless or is the playing deficiency restricted to the female class?
Old 7 Jul 2019, 15:50 (Ref:3916327)   #4029
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Is the playing deficiency restricted to the female class?
May be you could ask the question to our nat team!
Old 7 Jul 2019, 16:54 (Ref:3916331)   #4030
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I should place on record that I absolutely hate football in all of it's manifestations; Male, female, kids, LGBT, National, club, International, Olympics, professional, amateur, whatever, it is an abhorrence.

It is a silly game for children to PLAY when they do not have the intelligence to do something useful with their time, the fact that it has replaced religion, and God with some twerp in a coloured shirt is a offence against everything I call civilised.

Of course that is just one man's opinion.
Old 7 Jul 2019, 16:56 (Ref:3916332)   #4031
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Pretty much agree with all of that!
Old 7 Jul 2019, 17:31 (Ref:3916341)   #4032
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Lucky that football is just a game, so it does not matter that the ladies who represent England are pretty useless.

How about cricket Bob?
Old 7 Jul 2019, 20:24 (Ref:3916393)   #4033
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I should place on record that I absolutely hate football in all of it's manifestations; Male, female, kids, LGBT, National, club, International, Olympics, professional, amateur, whatever, it is an abhorrence.

It is a silly game for children to PLAY when they do not have the intelligence to do something useful with their time, the fact that it has replaced religion, and God with some twerp in a coloured shirt is a offence against everything I call civilised.

Of course that is just one man's opinion.
Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion - personally I can’t stand cycling. Why would anyone in their right mind spend 3 weeks cycling up hill and down dale in France just to wear the yellow vest of protest when the internal combustion engine was invented to make travelling a distance much easier many, many years ago. Arhh, yes, without cycling there would be many chemists unemployed!
Oh and it’s more boring to watch hours of a cycling stage than even F1, except in F1 the start might be interesting whereas in cycling the finish might be!
Old 7 Jul 2019, 21:00 (Ref:3916398)   #4034
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes I watch football and go and support Reading when I can.
2,Don't watch Cricket.
3,I love cycling but do not watch it.
4 Rugby, I was good at rugby at school but again do not watch.
5, Motor racing and F1. will sometimes watch the high lights.
Basically what I am saying is I like to do sport but not watch other people.
That was your useless bit of information for a Sunday night.
Old 7 Jul 2019, 21:29 (Ref:3916403)   #4035
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I went to a football match once and was bored witless.

I went to a horse race (Glorious Goodwood I think it was) and fell asleep.

I saw the Tour once, it wasn't that exciting.

I've been bored at motor races just as much as I e been captivated.

Sport is so much more interesting when you're doing it. I also think it's often better on TV where you're given the whole story, some of the back story and intelligent commentary.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 7 Jul 2019, 21:48 (Ref:3916407)   #4036
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
How about cricket Bob?
I forgot to add cricket to the list of pointless pastimes, Grant.
Old 7 Jul 2019, 21:51 (Ref:3916409)   #4037
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion - personally I can’t stand cycling. Why would anyone in their right mind spend 3 weeks cycling up hill and down dale in France just to wear the yellow vest of protest when the internal combustion engine was invented to make travelling a distance much easier many, many years ago. Arhh, yes, without cycling there would be many chemists unemployed!
Oh and it’s more boring to watch hours of a cycling stage than even F1, except in F1 the start might be interesting whereas in cycling the finish might be!
Now, now, you are just trying to upset me>
Old 8 Jul 2019, 06:14 (Ref:3916451)   #4038
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm happy watching most sports. At the end of the day it's always easy to get into most of the time. I myself play tennis every Tuesday and that's always fun to do, trying to make sure you get the ball to the place you need/want it to do.
Old 8 Jul 2019, 10:46 (Ref:3916479)   #4039
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I confess, the interest in cycling, other than gentle rides around the countryside, is beyond me. But then I'm not asthmatic so wouldn't be competitive. Triathlons seem to be the big thing at the moment and I have the utmost respect for those who can do that competitively.

I like playing tennis and I was relatively useful on a rugby pitch. And we have the Rugby World Cup starting in September.

Not keen on football but I think our girls were pretty good; and, failing at the Semi Final is not bad really, they deserve encouragement.
Old 8 Jul 2019, 11:13 (Ref:3916481)   #4040
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Remember you 'play' tennis, you 'play' football', cricket, snooker, rugby, but you don't play cycling, or indeed motor sport.

There in lies the difference, there are games and there are sports'

Sport - requires physical exertion or skill within a defined set of rules where participants compete for results.
Within sports, a sub category exists that can be defined as 'games'. In games, the object of the competition revolves around the movement, location or use of a specific item (typically ball or other object).
Sports that are games can be played. Sports that are not games are done - or in the case of sports that are named with the verb, you 'go'.

Ball/object based sports:
play darts, play golf, play cricket, play tennis, play poker.

Verb based sports:
go boxing, go running, go cycling, go racing.

Non-verb based sports:
do karate, do gymnastics, do weightlifting
Old 8 Jul 2019, 11:16 (Ref:3916482)   #4041
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Now, now, you are just trying to upset me>
Not at all, Baub, just trying to provide some balance lol!
Enjoy Le Tour, is Eddie Merkx favourite?
Old 8 Jul 2019, 12:38 (Ref:3916509)   #4042
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I forgot to add cricket to the list of pointless pastimes, Grant.

I was thinking more in terms of comparing achievement levels of the UK teams all sexes.
Old 8 Jul 2019, 15:35 (Ref:3916539)   #4043
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Woozat, please? More likely, Van Loy, Van Stenbergen or, why not, THE Poulidor aca Poupou! Well Darrigade would do and the concertina player will be Yvette Horner, obviously. No upsetting here, just teasing!!!
Old 8 Jul 2019, 17:30 (Ref:3916557)   #4044
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Woozat, please? More likely, Van Loy, Van Stenbergen or, why not, THE Poulidor aca Poupou! Well Darrigade would do and the concertina player will be Yvette Horner, obviously. No upsetting here, just teasing!!!
You meant Rik Van Looy, the great Belgium cyclist, the first man to win every Classic during his career, amazingly for a road man sprinter he won the KoM in Le Grand Boucle one year.*

*Sports fans may not grasp the immensity of this feat. Eh? Gerrry!

Sorry Grant I can not comment on the virtues of male/female cricketers, but no doubt some Clever Dick here will explain.

PS; Clever Dick is not used as a derogatory term in this context.
Old 8 Jul 2019, 17:33 (Ref:3916560)   #4045
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Not at all, Baub, just trying to provide some balance lol!
Eddy Merkx is to Belgium what Stanley Matthews is to England.
Old 8 Jul 2019, 17:47 (Ref:3916564)   #4046
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This made me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPmuuElyGg4&t=901s

(Go to 11:14 for the particular bit)
Old 8 Jul 2019, 19:33 (Ref:3916579)   #4047
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Eddy Merkx is to Belgium what Stanley Matthews is to England.
What, a Winger?
Old 9 Jul 2019, 06:22 (Ref:3916629)   #4048
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
What, a Winger?
Now we met your jokes seem even better because I can imagine the spark in your eye. In French, "ce je ne sais quoi"
Thanks for correcting Chris van Looy, Bob. What amazes me when walking the Yorkies is to watch the joggers. More likely forty and above, they dont seem to be happy, suffering a lot. Not a good publicity…
Old 9 Jul 2019, 07:15 (Ref:3916636)   #4049
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Female Beach Volleyball is quite interesting !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Jul 2019, 07:39 (Ref:3916641)   #4050
bauble
Veteran

England
An amazing display of feminine pulchritude, indeed.

Where is it?

Who would have suspected Gordon of being a 'dirty old man'???