Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Jul 2003, 09:30 (Ref:650569)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FIA Sportscars - Donington Aug 9

Does anybody know the score regarding the "evening race" thats scheduled? e.g. will it actually continue into darkness?
Old 3 Jul 2003, 10:10 (Ref:650601)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Will it, indeed, happen at all?
Old 3 Jul 2003, 10:29 (Ref:650621)   #3
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what makes you say that?
Old 3 Jul 2003, 10:54 (Ref:650658)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
scratch that I just caught up with all the news

Last edited by PaulSands; 3 Jul 2003 at 10:55.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 21:32 (Ref:656258)   #5
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What distance or time limit will the Donnington race be?

Just curious, since the FIA-SCC doesn't have a site, and these pages are my best sources for news on the European front...

Thanks!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 8 Jul 2003, 23:03 (Ref:656346)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Evening? That's news to me, but them I'm only down as a marshal. With a prospect of 12 cars for an endurance race at the end of what sounds like it will be a 14 hour day, I think I'm going to Loton Park instead.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 13:28 (Ref:656860)   #7
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)
Fulvio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The race will be 2h30' as every FIA SCC race, but it will start late (like 19.00 or 20.00, I think), just to oblige the cars to use the lights...

I think it will be a very nice show
Old 9 Jul 2003, 14:03 (Ref:656890)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know from past comments from drivers (such as Fulvio) and fans (Pirenzo for one) that Donnington's accommodations for each seem to be "less than modern," but from what I can tell, the circuit itself looks like it is a good configuration for sportscar racing...

NOTE: Fulvio commented on another thread about the "hangars for garages as a side note, and Pirenzo was less than thrilled with the grandstands, condition of other facilities for the fans...

I hope that the many British sportscar fans do show up for the festivities at Donnington on that date...

Some Random Questions:

1. How many of our Forum members from the UK are planning to attend????

2. I'm interested in your specific thoughts about the race track itself, Fulvio, Batcave, or any other drivers or race team members who have run sportscars at this circuit.... please cover
-- Overall circuit conditions
-- Overall feel for the circuit for a driver
-- your most favorite portions of the track
-- your least favorite portions
-- If you could change one thing in the course layout itslef, what would it be???

Finally, a question for Woolley:

You mentioned 12 cars at Donnington....with the race one month away, do you know of any list of cars that have expressed an interest in running there, or is that an educated guess based on your expreience and your following the sport itself??? Just curious....

Old 9 Jul 2003, 14:49 (Ref:656917)   #9
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)
I've never driven on the track, in reality... Just some videogames

I think it's a very nice track, like pretty every track in England, with low safety and high adrenaline...
Back in 1996 (when I went there to see a BTCC test) the facilities where not very good, I don't know now...

I will post my opinions here after the race, for sure
Old 9 Jul 2003, 14:56 (Ref:656923)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Thanks, Fulvio....we look forward to hearing from you...

BTW...Is Donnington going to be the possible date for the 2nd Durango chassis, or will it be Spa?

In another thread, you indicated that the new chassis would not be ready for Oschersleben...

Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:04 (Ref:656934)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Donningtons supposed to be in line for a major overhall very soon. The proposed plans, if I remember correctly, involve moving the pits.

As for th track now it is very good from a drivers point of view but the facilities for both fans and teams are not up to scratch. Safety is pretty good however.

As for whos going to the race, I wouldn't be suprised if it was the lowest ever crowd for an international sportscar race. FIA SCC has never caught the imagination of the fans as grids have been pretty poor and cars like the Audi have never competed. Plus of course one of the big attractions of the LM/ALMS has been the mixture of both LMP and GTs.

LMES should at last provide this type of racing for European fans.

As I say I think the crowd will be pretty low, FIA GT has totally swamped FIA SCC in terms of support now. FIA GT had some major problems after GT1 was scrapped with bascially a 2 car field with Vipers in GTS and GT3-Rs in GT which did not appeal to fans at all. Now however the series has recovered and is now starting to attract the fans back.

FIA SCC name is too damaged to now becaome a big series, hence the scrapping of the series for the new LMES which should hopefully give the LMP cars the arena to race in that they truely deserve.

Last edited by JAG; 9 Jul 2003 at 15:07.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:18 (Ref:656953)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Thanks for a lot of good info, Jag!

BTW...the FIA-GT ran at Donnington recently, didn't they?

We get zero news over here in the US, and usually don't get to see the tapes of the race on Speed Channel until the NAZ-CAW-WUHR season is over...

How was the crowd for that race???

Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:27 (Ref:656966)   #13
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
BTW...Is Donnington going to be the possible date for the 2nd Durango chassis, or will it be Spa?

In another thread, you indicated that the new chassis would not be ready for Oschersleben...
At the moment I prefer saying nothing... I've already given too many dates for the second car

In theory yes... but I will belive it only when I will see it ready :P

Let's hope

Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
As I say I think the crowd will be pretty low
Sadly, nothing new for us....

Also in Monza there was few people.. but it's pretty normal in Italy for everything non concerning F1

In Estoril the rain kept people away from the circuit... and I think that also a fool wouldn't have left home with a storm like that one...

In Lausitzring there was people, but we were racing during the CART race

We will see in Oschersleben..
Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:32 (Ref:656979)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=346991

Yes FIA GT was a couple of weeks ago. Crowd was around 20,000 which is a big improvement on the post GT1 crowds and should get much better with the new cars coming.

Check the photos from Donnington.

Last edited by JAG; 9 Jul 2003 at 15:35.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:41 (Ref:656991)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I hope it all comes together, one way or another, for the second chassis....because I know you want to turn some laps in it and sort it out in time for the LM Bugatti qualifier race in November...

Old 9 Jul 2003, 16:13 (Ref:657025)   #16
dscwall
Rookie

dscwall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
provisional timetable for Donington is available here: http://www.tgp-f1.com/, look under TGP-F1 News and then the second link for Donington timetable.

Last edited by dscwall; 9 Jul 2003 at 16:23.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 16:25 (Ref:657037)   #17
dscwall
Rookie

sorry link above appears not to work,try this one www.tgp-f1.com

Last edited by dscwall; 9 Jul 2003 at 16:26.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 17:49 (Ref:657115)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
12 cars was a comment from Stephane Ratel in Autosport, following the turn out at Lausitzring. He expressed disappointment in the numbers and said there would probably be 12 cars out by Donington. That's not the exact wording as it was a few weeks ago and I'm going by memory, but I do remember the prediction for a dozen.

As for the circuit - many drivers in this country rate it highly except for the chicane and the two hairpins at the end of the lap. Other than that it's usually talked about as a real drivers circuit with a good flow, and the Craner Curves are often listed among their favourite sections anywhere. They're fast flowing sweepers, downhill into a quick and difficult 90 right, and not a place for the fainthearted.

Spectator facilites are fairly reasonable, with some superb viewing areas. I used to love it before I became a marshal, and I'm told it's improved. Pits seem adequate at least, but I'm not the best judge of that not having had to work other than as a marshal.

From my point of view though, FIA meetings tend to be long and without adequate breaks, and an evening race is going to stop the social aspect of marshalling. Also if it's running on Sunday (I assume it is?) that means I've still to pack the caravan in the dark and then 1½ hours drive home. Sportscars are best when they're in large numbers, and waving a flag in the dark for presumably a maximum of 12 cars doesn't sound like fun to me.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 17:59 (Ref:657121)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
August 9 is a Saturday....

Thanks for the input, one and all...the links and the insight on the course itself...

Old 9 Jul 2003, 18:45 (Ref:657189)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
The meeting is for three days, but I haven't seen a programme, so I wasn't aware of which day the evening would be. That's the Saturday night party done for then! (sometimes there's just no way to please us, is there!)

Has anyone got a full programme for this meeting yet, before I make a decision? It doesn't seem to be on Donington's website, and the Sportscar site says it's "under reconstruction" - a bit like the series, really!

Here's an aerial photo of the circuit. the Craner Curves are on the extreme right. Flat out at 160mph+ and quite a steep downhill.
Attached Thumbnails
donington.jpg  
Old 9 Jul 2003, 18:49 (Ref:657196)   #21
JAG
Veteran

England
Lets hope there is a boost in the entry for Donnington as teams know they have the 2004 LMES to build towards.

Wonder if the Pole will beat the R8 in 2001 which set a 1,21 pole time.

The 2002 R8 and 2003 Bentley would be in the 1.18/19s now. Lets see how quick the RFH Dome is.

As an aside the FIA GT pole was 1.29.2, weras the ELMS GTS pole was 1.28 dead in 2001. The 2003 C5-R and Prodrive 550 are just under 1 and half seconds quicker now than the 2001 Saleen.

Just wished the lead BMS 550M had qualified without the 100kg of ballest. It would have been in the late 1.27s I belive.

Last edited by JAG; 9 Jul 2003 at 18:58.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 19:17 (Ref:657227)   #22
dscwall
Rookie

the TGP website link does give a full rundown on the weekends activities
Old 9 Jul 2003, 21:35 (Ref:657373)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Fightening.

Fri 09:00 - 19:00, 12hrs, no break (10 mins between sessions)
Sat 09:00 - 19:30, 12½hrs, no break (as above)
Sun 09:00 - 18:00 (approx - 13 lapper starting at 17:20)

That's 35½ hours in 3 days with no stand down time at all.

Much as I like sportscars and TGP, forget it, I ain't going to be there. Sorry, folks.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 11:28 (Ref:658677)   #24
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the 12 figure referred to SR1. Add in 6 or so SR2 and the grid isn't so bad , but there again i'm an eternal optimist when it comes to sportscar racing. I would hope that quite a few of the following will be there;

RFH Dome X2
Courage Peugeot
Courage Judd
Lister
Ascari
Taurus Lola
Berridge Loa
DBA-4
Durango X2
R&M
Ferrari Judd ( Lavaggi )
Promec
Goddard Reynard ( there are 2 )
Simpson Engineering R&S Mk 111 ( nice sounding car )
+ 6ish SR2 Luchinni , Pilbeam , Lola Etc
Maybe even the Ex- Philipe Gache Courage , which i understand now has a chevy V8 in it. Chamberlain................

However , like i said , i'm an eternal optimist , but whatever the grid size , they can count on my support on August 9th.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 12:44 (Ref:658750)   #25
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by LC2guy
I think the 12 figure referred to SR1. Add in 6 or so SR2 and the grid isn't so bad , but there again i'm an eternal optimist when it comes to sportscar racing. I would hope that quite a few of the following will be there;

RFH Dome X2
Courage Peugeot
Courage Judd
Lister
Ascari
Taurus Lola
Berridge Loa
DBA-4
Durango X2
R&M
Ferrari Judd ( Lavaggi )
Promec
Goddard Reynard ( there are 2 )
Simpson Engineering R&S Mk 111 ( nice sounding car )
+ 6ish SR2 Luchinni , Pilbeam , Lola Etc
Maybe even the Ex- Philipe Gache Courage , which i understand now has a chevy V8 in it. Chamberlain................

However , like i said , i'm an eternal optimist , but whatever the grid size , they can count on my support on August 9th.
As you said, you're probably being a bit optimistic- there are one or two on that list I'd be surprised to see- the works Courage-Judd hasn't been near an FIA race all year, so I'm guessing they won't be out again until the Le Mans 1000km race in November, Fred Goddard's second Reynard would probably depend on him being able to find funded drivers, and the Simpson R&S was advertised for sale in Autosport a while ago- and from memory tended not to show up even when it was entered alst year.....

The ex-Gache Courage- wasn't that the Spanish project that was talked about on Dailysportscar a while ago?- does anyone know what's happening with that, as I though their original plan was to debut at Monza?