Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 26 May 2003, 17:45 (Ref:610670)   #101
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I appreciate what you say about the Jag 4.2 but two points - 1) where do Jaguar sell the majority of their cars? and 2) can't REALLY be said to be a "drivers car", even in the XK8 guise. I'd argue more of a cruiser (note size of XK8's boot).
Old 26 May 2003, 22:27 (Ref:610916)   #102
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Smaller than that of a Mondeo, which you recently insisted is a drivers car.
How many of you are there Tristans?
Old 26 May 2003, 22:37 (Ref:610922)   #103
Tristan
Veteran

Nononono. The Mondeo is a SALOON, right?? It's PRIMARY function is to be a saloon. It is also a thoroughly reasonable drivers car.

The XK8 is a coupe. It's primary function SHOULD be that it's a driver's car. It's not. I'd wager the boot on an Evo is bigger than that of the XK8. However, the margin is nowhere near as big as it should be. And I know which one is the "driver's car".
Old 26 May 2003, 22:39 (Ref:610927)   #104
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd prefer a DB7 anyway, it's closer to what the XK8 should be. (Actually, an E-Type is closest to what the XK8 should be )
Old 26 May 2003, 22:40 (Ref:610928)   #105
Tristan
Veteran

Me and Bluebottle agree on many things really!! Like... that post above, for example.
Old 26 May 2003, 22:48 (Ref:610933)   #106
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
True
Old 27 May 2003, 12:06 (Ref:611351)   #107
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The primary function of a coupé is NOT to be a driver's car. The primary function of a coupé is to be a stylish status symbol. The purest case of form over function. Why bother spending extra money developing the perfect drivers' chassis when 95% of buyers won't ever be able to tell the difference?

That's why I hate coupés.

Now before you all launch into contradictions, I'm sure there are many examples of driver's cars that also happen to be coupés. But I can't think of a single one I'd like lower down the scale than a Porsche 911. Ok - there was one - I had a 1992 Nissan 200SX and loved it!

Same goes for roadsters. Almost always form over function. Mazda did a good job with the MX-5 I think - never driven one, but been a passenger in a well driven one. And the Boxster is good - inevitably. But I'll leave the rest for the hairstylists, thanks.

The DB7 is desirable (in a coupé sense), but has it ever really been more of a true driver's car than the XK8? I'm pretty sure I'd always choose a 911 over a DB7, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a cheap used XK8. IF I wanted a comfy barge to transport my laptop and golf clubs up and down the M1 for 30odd thousand miles a year - it's a damn fine car for twenty grand.
Old 27 May 2003, 13:34 (Ref:611452)   #108
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Besides,

As everyone who watched Top Gear keeps telling me, the fastest car out there (and therefore the bestest, obviously ) is a 15 year old stripped out Jag XJS with a £500 nitrous kit...
Old 27 May 2003, 21:21 (Ref:611868)   #109
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
It must be true then