Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 7 Mar 2019, 19:52 (Ref:3888970)   #2476
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Crossword .

Whilst traveling from NZ to Oz I bought classic car mag . I am trying to finish crossword puzzle . Can you help “French car company founded in 1897 “. 7 letters 4 th letter G and 6 th letter A. Stand by as I still have 10 answers to find . Thanks in advance .
Old 7 Mar 2019, 19:55 (Ref:3888971)   #2477
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The price of that Bugatti is ridiculous!

That announcement from Volvo is interesting. According to Auto Express today, in 3 years ALL new cars sold in the EU will have to be fitted with speed limiters. The tech, called ISA- Intelligent Speed Assist, will use GPS and traffic sign recognition to automatically limit engine power and vehicle speed..... The ‘European Transport Safety Council’ say that it will be possible to override the system temporarily, but that mandatory data loggers and autonomous braking are also planned.

And don’t think that because by then we won’t be part of the EU we will escape the technology. Appears that manufacturers are unlikely to homologate different spec cars for the UK, and our Type Approval Centre, the VCA, intends to mirror EU rules anyway!

No, it’s not April 1st yet.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 7 Mar 2019 at 20:07.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 20:04 (Ref:3888974)   #2478
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Whilst traveling from NZ to Oz I bought classic car mag . I am trying to finish crossword puzzle . Can you help “French car company founded in 1897 “. 7 letters 4 th letter G and 6 th letter A. Stand by as I still have 10 answers to find . Thanks in advance .
The only one I can think of with 7 letters and 4th ‘G’ is Peugeot. But they are far older and don’t have an ‘A’......
Old 7 Mar 2019, 20:19 (Ref:3888979)   #2479
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
O K that works now Mike . Last one for today as we got to head to track . UK racing driver 1897 1979 held 3 land speed records . 6 letters start with E. 5 th letter O.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 20:24 (Ref:3888981)   #2480
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Eyston. George Eyston.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 7 Mar 2019, 20:28 (Ref:3888983)   #2481
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

That announcement from Volvo is interesting. According to Auto Express today, in 3 years ALL new cars sold in the EU will have to be fitted with speed limiters. The tech, called ISA- Intelligent Speed Assist, will use GPS and traffic sign recognition to automatically limit engine power and vehicle speed..... The ‘European Transport Safety Council’ say that it will be possible to override the system temporarily, but that mandatory data loggers and autonomous braking are also planned.

And don’t think that because by then we won’t be part of the EU we will escape the technology. Appears that manufacturers are unlikely to homologate different spec cars for the UK, and our Type Approval Centre, the VCA, intends to mirror EU rules anyway!

How I wish I was even older than I am! Thankfully I am never likely to own a car built post 2022.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 20:38 (Ref:3888986)   #2482
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting article in our local free paper, of all places, this week concerning a car make I had never heard of.

The story is actually about a car designer called Julien Monborgne, who hails from Vimy, which is on our patch. He left college in 2008, just in time for the recession & thus no jobs, so he followed a friend to China, where he went knocking on doors with his portfolio. He eventually landed a job with a design house called CH-Auto

The company eventually decided to create its own marque, Qiantu Motor, to build their own range of electric cars, with our friend taking on design work. The result is a swoopy sports car called the K50 with similar proportions to the Audi R8. They have also revealed a four-seat luxury saloon (think Porsche Panamera or Tesla), and a the K20, a small two-seater along the lines of the Smart Roadster.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 21:08 (Ref:3888993)   #2483
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The only one I can think of with 7 letters and 4th ‘G’ is Peugeot. But they are far older and don’t have an ‘A’......
Ah! But are the other answers right? Knowing Delta …...
Old 7 Mar 2019, 22:44 (Ref:3889017)   #2484
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Interesting article in our local free paper, of all places, this week concerning a car make I had never heard of.
There are a lot of car makes in China that we have never heard of.

Many of them producing copies of cars that are not from China.

It seems that some of the copies may be designed by people who are not from China either.

You still have local free papers in France? I'm impressed. I think all of the ones that operated around here died about a decade ago.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 22:58 (Ref:3889023)   #2485
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I agree about the price of the Bugatti.

As a one off Prototype study that has been completed to a retail acceptable level of finish they should have charged a lot more than that!

As for the speed limiting - since Volvos will, they tell us, all be 100% electric by then what they should be doing is abandoning all the BS about electric car performance and explaining to people what they plan to do to extend range instead. The masses will be far more interested in that once they realise how much battery weight they will be hauling around all the time just to cater for the odd long trip they might want to make once in a while.

There's not much about the car manufacturing market that makes a lot of sense at the moment in 'real value' terms vs fitness for intended purpose. I suspect that the potential consumers are beginning to realise that.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 07:01 (Ref:3889061)   #2486
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
There are a lot of car makes in China that we have never heard of.

Many of them producing copies of cars that are not from China.

It seems that some of the copies may be designed by people who are not from China either.

You still have local free papers in France? I'm impressed. I think all of the ones that operated around here died about a decade ago.
It's actually a paper produced by the Pas de Calais region & usually has some interesting stuff, not full of advertising.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 07:35 (Ref:3889064)   #2487
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Grant you need to make a journey to the Capital to get your best fix FOC. Metro is a free paper on rail lines heading into London, and IIRC the Evening Standard is now free.

Round here in North Wiltshire there are still a couple.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 8 Mar 2019, 07:40 (Ref:3889065)   #2488
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
The answer might come up in the next post (just sold a new car for 15 million) but they were founded in 1909.

SA des Automobiles Peugeot was 1897.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 08:01 (Ref:3889069)   #2489
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
We’ve moved on since that question, Peter!

Agree about Metro, Max. It gets delivered to Norwich station on the first morning intercity so always grab a copy! We also a get a local weekly freesheet published by Archant, that produce all the E Anglian papers. Lot of ads, obviously, but sometimes some local news that wouldn’t find elsewhere......
Old 8 Mar 2019, 08:09 (Ref:3889072)   #2490
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
There are a lot of car makes in China that we have never heard of. Many of them producing copies of cars that are not from China.
I think that was ‘then’ rather than ‘now’, Grant. There were some really blatant copies (Evoque clone prompting LR to attempt redress- think they lost) but the Chinese car industry is now able to compete without resorting to those tactics. And of course with investment from manufacturers based in other countries, such as Tesla (who’s new factory is under construction as we speak), a lot of people will be driving Chinese built cars in years to come....
Old 8 Mar 2019, 08:16 (Ref:3889074)   #2491
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re NZ crosswords, I bought a mag containing 100+ and recognised Delta's question straight away. The quizmaster has a fixation with certain themes and the same questions crop up in almost every puzzle...I'm now an expert on 1970's Isuzu saloons and forgotten French manufacturers from the 1920's. Not to mention every model that Lancia ever made, and obscure Italian designers. It doesn't help when they mis-spell Datsun or use the answers to questions from another puzzle🤣
Old 8 Mar 2019, 08:23 (Ref:3889076)   #2492
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Crossword

Thanks Max . Just biked back to hotel tonight . Had brilliant day with EB also known as Dave . 😀. Hang on did not that get used in Only Foolsand Horses . Anyway . Chris brought along a fantastic push bike for me to use . Happy days .Back to crossword . Two left . 1 . British car industry company and incidentally one of the best car stylist from 1920 to 1930. 5 letters . Second letter Y 4 th letter N. Then last one . French two seater mini car 57 to 61. Second letter E 4 th letter P. Thank you
Old 8 Mar 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3889077)   #2493
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
I think we've got the title for the 2020 thread already!

'Delta's I'll give you a clue break'
Old 8 Mar 2019, 11:52 (Ref:3889129)   #2494
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Iain, I suspect the French car is a VESPA.

Cannot trace any UK car that fits your criteria.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 13:51 (Ref:3889156)   #2495
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Just watched the most incredible piece of live TV have seen for years- the Dragon capsule re-entering the earth’s atmosphere and successfully splashing down in the Atlantic.

As others would say- AWSUM.......
Old 8 Mar 2019, 13:54 (Ref:3889157)   #2496
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
I think that was ‘then’ rather than ‘now’, Grant. There were some really blatant copies (Evoque clone prompting LR to attempt redress- think they lost) but the Chinese car industry is now able to compete without resorting to those tactics. And of course with investment from manufacturers based in other countries, such as Tesla (who’s new factory is under construction as we speak), a lot of people will be driving Chinese built cars in years to come....
That was my point really Mike.

Yesterday I saw a photo of something with a name completely unknown to me that could only have been inspired by a product made near Goodwood.

Nothing new in that of course. It's been going on for years.

If not Chinese cars then Chinese components.

Can the German car industry survive in Germany? High labour and energy costs must make that questionable.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 13:55 (Ref:3889158)   #2497
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am old enough to remember the Apollo splash downs.
Made a model of a USN Sikorsky SH-3 Sea King on the back of it.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3889168)   #2498
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Nothing new in that of course. It's been going on for years.

Exactly how Japan did it 50/60 years ago; reverse engineer everything going until you have the skills and knowledge to design and sell your own products.

And the same could probably apply to many countries and many companies. For example, Rolls Royce, back in the 80s, bought two Toyota Crowns because they wanted to create their own air-conditioning that was as good as that in the Toyota. This was because, or so I believe, the Toyota was the first production car that had independent air-conditioning/heat for the front seats and the back seats. And, from personal experience, I can tell you that it was good.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 21:16 (Ref:3889227)   #2499
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Had an equally brilliant day with Iain helping him with the bodywork on the Cooper for the paparazzi who wanted to check the car out undressed. Looking forward to today. What a gentleman Iain is. Great cars great company. Happy days!
Old 8 Mar 2019, 22:15 (Ref:3889236)   #2500
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Had an equally brilliant day with Iain helping him with the bodywork on the Cooper for the paparazzi who wanted to check the car out undressed. Looking forward to today. What a gentleman Iain is. Great cars great company. Happy days!
Always fun with Iain. I'm really rather jealous.

Later in the year we have our own version of PI.

Anglesey!

I wonder if we will get PI type weather?

PS. Don't forget to go and see the koalas Iain!
Closed Thread