Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 1 Oct 2019, 17:36 (Ref:3931341)   #5001
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Max- Goes back to when I was an acne pimpled apprentice, and many ‘tune ups’ consisted of a mechanic driving the car flat out for many miles!

There is a fairly well known story from back in the day about the Coombs Jaguar garage in Guildford. It was not only well known for racing but many of the local customers were 'stockbrokers' who bought E-types and mostly used them to commute a mile or so the station every day from whence they took a train to London and reversed the process come the evening.

Cue lumpy running engines, etc. Especially V12s I was told.

The Service Workshops benefited from the proximity of the "Hog's Back" dual carriageway. A long and more or less straight road that offered the opportunity to run for several miles at speed in each direction.

There were a few incidents due to many junctions for side roads, most of which also allowed access to the far carriageway so one could turn left or right.

Apparently an oil change and a quick blast both ways on the Hog's Back was enough to return the engines to full health (with user visible signs of work having been carried out due to the oil change) in return of payment of a significantly valued invoice.
Old 1 Oct 2019, 19:24 (Ref:3931352)   #5002
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
God those were the days. I lived near the Hogs Back and drove it pretty regularly. I was also just down the road from Tongham stock car track.

In connection with the latter we were parked next to a coulme of mini racers at Spa. Jeff Smith one of the drivers is married to Jo Polley, daughter of George Polley. Gor to say that him and his co driver were both really nice guys.
Old 2 Oct 2019, 04:35 (Ref:3931396)   #5003
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I do like an RX7 and I do like old IMSA cars, so this was nice to read....

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...Tuesday_Oct_01
Nice to read plus see (and hear) in the video too.(Thanks Mike for the link) Kendall was giving it the beans and using all the road and more in the clip on the link. And a helmet cam always helps build the effect.

If you cant for any reason get the video in Mikes Hagerty link, it is on YT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vB_d9j-oWqY
Old 2 Oct 2019, 06:36 (Ref:3931401)   #5004
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
That car does sound sweet, and seems to have great gear ratios as well. He isn’t hanging about in that vid!

Here’s another link, this time about Morgans. Not sure how accurate their words are, and why the cars are ‘weirdly charming’, but interesting all the same.... https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...rgan-race-cars
Old 2 Oct 2019, 08:24 (Ref:3931411)   #5005
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps I should start a thread on my RX7s seeing there is some interest in them
Old 2 Oct 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3931415)   #5006
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob View Post
Perhaps I should start a thread on my RX7s seeing there is some interest in them
Go ahead Doc, shift them off of here, as far as I am concerned they are just Jap Cars.
Old 2 Oct 2019, 08:38 (Ref:3931416)   #5007
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jap sh--boxes haha
Old 2 Oct 2019, 08:53 (Ref:3931419)   #5008
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very effective Japanese race cars.
Old 2 Oct 2019, 08:55 (Ref:3931420)   #5009
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Go ahead Doc, shift them off of here, as far as I am concerned they are just Jap Cars.
Are Vauxhalls still made in Pakistan, Baub ?
Old 2 Oct 2019, 09:55 (Ref:3931431)   #5010
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:

Here’s another link, this time about Morgans. Not sure how accurate their words are, and why the cars are ‘weirdly charming’, but interesting all the same.... https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...rgan-race-cars
Thanks Mike.... I now know what the SLR stands for in Morgan Plus Four SLR!

Ive never seen pics of the RIP Special before either. First impression is someone has bolted on an cover from a modern formula car. Weird yes, in this instance, charming not so sure ... but Morgan cars generally are simply charming to me. Maybe quirky more than weird.
Old 2 Oct 2019, 10:15 (Ref:3931432)   #5011
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
You can tell me all about them at Paul Ricard.....
Old 2 Oct 2019, 10:17 (Ref:3931433)   #5012
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I suppose so Mike, but what struck me as odd about Butchers BTCC Car is that his Dad owns Knockhill! Rory must know the place like the back of his hand.
General consensus elsewhere is that the map acts a common reference point between team and engineer(s) during the weekend.

A few examples given:

A) - Team radio that their is debris on the outside of T9, or a yellow flag after T4. Rather than trying to work out the corners in their head, and then confirm that what they think is the 9th corner matches the engineer's perspective, they are both referring to the same map.

B) - Driver reports that he is having problems with under-steer in T3. Engineer immediately knows which corner is being referred to.
Old 2 Oct 2019, 10:24 (Ref:3931434)   #5013
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
General consensus elsewhere is that the map acts a common reference point between team and engineer(s) during the weekend.

A few examples given:

A) - Team radio that their is debris on the outside of T9, or a yellow flag after T4. Rather than trying to work out the corners in their head, and then confirm that what they think is the 9th corner matches the engineer's perspective, they are both referring to the same map.

B) - Driver reports that he is having problems with under-steer in T3. Engineer immediately knows which corner is being referred to.
Thanks crm. THAT's something I can understand.
Old 2 Oct 2019, 10:28 (Ref:3931436)   #5014
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

Ive never seen pics of the RIP Special before either. First impression is someone has bolted on an cover from a modern formula car. Weird yes, in this instance, charming not so sure ... but Morgan cars generally are simply charming to me. Maybe quirky more than weird.
RIP SPecial running at Chateau Impney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=s3T4gJAxIsg
Old 2 Oct 2019, 11:23 (Ref:3931442)   #5015
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks CRM, that seems logical
Old 2 Oct 2019, 11:58 (Ref:3931448)   #5016
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

I always think of SLR as the Self Loading Rifle. Fired one a few times in the dim and distant past, although fortunately, not in anger.
Old 2 Oct 2019, 12:02 (Ref:3931451)   #5017
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes please - far better than continual harping on about Voxalls! When the only ones worth talking about are Chevette HS/ HSR or Gerry Marshall’s race cars!!!
Old 2 Oct 2019, 12:08 (Ref:3931454)   #5018
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Yes please - far better than continual harping on about Voxalls! When the only ones worth talking about are Chevette HS/ HSR or Gerry Marshall’s race cars!!!
Ahem! There are other models worthy of mention too...
Old 2 Oct 2019, 12:24 (Ref:3931458)   #5019
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
My first boss brought a new Brabham Viva, and from memory had to stick the stripes on himself as they came unfitted?
Old 2 Oct 2019, 12:48 (Ref:3931465)   #5020
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
My first boss brought a new Brabham Viva, and from memory had to stick the stripes on himself as they came unfitted?
Aha! The ultimate Q-Car, not giving the game away that you had about 8 BHP more than an ordinary one!
Old 2 Oct 2019, 13:23 (Ref:3931485)   #5021
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Aha! The ultimate Q-Car, not giving the game away that you had about 8 BHP more than an ordinary one!

Back in the day that was probably quite a large percentage increase to be smug about.
Old 2 Oct 2019, 14:17 (Ref:3931494)   #5022
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Never forget.
Attached Thumbnails
Cavalier.jpg  
Old 2 Oct 2019, 14:21 (Ref:3931495)   #5023
bauble
Veteran

England
Biffa fined £350,000 for shipping 'household waste' including sanitary towels, nappies and condoms to China
Waste management giant Biffa has been fined £350,000 for trying to ship household rubbish to China labelled as waste paper fit for recycling.

What's wrong with that?
Old 2 Oct 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3931496)   #5024
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Biffa fined £350,000 for shipping 'household waste' including sanitary towels, nappies and condoms to China
Waste management giant Biffa has been fined £350,000 for trying to ship household rubbish to China labelled as waste paper fit for recycling.

What's wrong with that?
Should have burnt it in an energy from waste power station and gained some electricity from it.
Old 2 Oct 2019, 15:32 (Ref:3931502)   #5025
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Never forget.
Vary Cavalier of you baub to show that...