Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 May 2018, 19:34 (Ref:3821127)   #101
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Ronnie Quintarelli turned up in his Nismo GT-R he would lap the entire DTM field !!
Old 9 May 2018, 20:10 (Ref:3821132)   #102
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Maybe they need to tweak the rules slightly to allow more cars in
Old 10 May 2018, 00:53 (Ref:3821176)   #103
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Gerhard says it’s unbelievable that no other manufacturers are interested, but, realistically, who is there?
Alfa Romeo?

Quote:
Opel? Would be great, but PSA are heavily committed elsewhere, and it comes back to rules stability.
Saldy so.
Old 10 May 2018, 07:22 (Ref:3821210)   #104
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Alfa Romeo?
Alfa Romeo has no interest in DTM.

1. Marchionne don't spend money in motorsport, this year they pour money to Sauber to put two stickers
2. The cost of the championship is high
3. The championship is instable and has no link with the production cars or something relevant in the technology involved on the market. It's a pure motorsport championship.

The Opel is not an option for the immediately next years. The board said that only from 2021 Opel could be back in a series with an official team (if the the financial statement is positive)
Old 10 May 2018, 14:41 (Ref:3821288)   #105
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
If Ronnie Quintarelli turned up in his Nismo GT-R he would lap the entire DTM field !!
It would need to a different car from the Super GT iteration.

It seems to me that the problem with “Class 1” is that the DTM and Super GT are two very different things; the former is a single-driver, sprint series for saloon-based coupés, whereas the latter is a GT series for driver pairings. The potential is there for rule commonality but it’s going to take a lot of work. DTM should freeze its rules till the end of 2021 and try to get someone else in alongside Audi and BMW, while negotiating with the SGTA for convergence in 2022.
Old 10 May 2018, 14:52 (Ref:3821291)   #106
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Alfa in the DTM, where have I heard that before?
Old 10 May 2018, 16:49 (Ref:3821322)   #107
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It would need to a different car from the Super GT iteration.

It seems to me that the problem with “Class 1” is that the DTM and Super GT are two very different things; the former is a single-driver, sprint series for saloon-based coupés, whereas the latter is a GT series for driver pairings. The potential is there for rule commonality but it’s going to take a lot of work. DTM should freeze its rules till the end of 2021 and try to get someone else in alongside Audi and BMW, while negotiating with the SGTA for convergence in 2022.
Super GT is the best racing series in the world and they should wave a friendly goodbye to DTM and let them sort out their own decline
Old 10 May 2018, 17:48 (Ref:3821339)   #108
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
DTM is now becoming what tin tops should be about, close racing. DRS should be scrapped for 2019, but at the moment it’s doing fine
It took only 15 years and Gerhard Berger to realize.

If you look at Australian Supercars and GT Masters DTM has to admit they did a very poor job.
Old 10 May 2018, 17:51 (Ref:3821340)   #109
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The irony is that I think a big manufacturer which showed a sniff of interest in the DTM (Ford, Nissan, Honda) could get the rulemakers to do pretty much whatever they wanted to bring them on board. A NISMO programme with the GT-R would seem to me a no-brainer.
Yep but it shows nobody is interested.

Maybe it's better DTM disappears for a couple of years and than gets a fresh start.
Old 20 May 2018, 09:47 (Ref:3823519)   #110
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Yep but it shows nobody is interested.

Maybe it's better DTM disappears for a couple of years and than gets a fresh start.
Three decent races in a row. Sure makes a change.
Old 20 May 2018, 10:43 (Ref:3823524)   #111
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I watched the race, first DTM race for years, and was a bit baffled tbh. The cars seemed designed to explode in such a way that means cleaning up takes forever. The race timer didn't stop during the red, so the race became 20 minutes but with a mandatory stop? The commentator on the English language YouTube feed had absolutely no idea what was going on. He kept telling us to ignore the cars in the lead as it wasn't the real lead battle because they hadn't stopped. Being a DTM rookie I kinda went along with it, but I was sure they had stopped. Come the end of the race he was confused and it turned out they had and turns out he'd been commentating on the wrong thing all along.

Just...weird. I don't get it. Excitement seemed to come from the race being too short to get any heat into tyres and cars sliding about. Such a weird series.
Old 20 May 2018, 10:46 (Ref:3823527)   #112
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Three decent races in a row. Sure makes a change.
It makes a change indeed but I agree with Ekstrom who claims that DTM cars are still not entertaining and exciting. Instead of monocoque and still too big downforce for touring cars and too big aero dependency, DTM can take an example of Aussie Supercars. Less wings, winglets, less downforce but more bhp instead and bodywork allowing for even more door-to-door racing. I mean, I enjoy DTM but now, as the series is on the crossroads, they need bigger changes than just switching to turbo engines and reducing downforce. On paper DTM has everything to be absolutely the most exciting touring car series in Europe (maybe together with BTCC that has slightly different philosophy) but they were too much F1-oriented. Let F1 be F1, people love Supercars for being loud, aggressive and still touring cars. No one will love DTM for the technology. Fvck the technology, nobody cares, except for F1, LMP1 and maybe FE. DTM should still remain quite high tech but not as much as it is now. Manufacturer involvement should not be as huge as it is (one again look at Supercars for example), less politics, more pure spirit of the racing. This is what DTM needs in order to survive. Maybe I side Supercars too much, but for me DTM should try and make something similar. Europe lacks such a racing.
Old 20 May 2018, 10:59 (Ref:3823529)   #113
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd be a bitter irony if the plug on DTM was pulled, just as the series starts to finally provide some decent racing on the track.

The problem is indeed that the DTM cars are pure race cars that don't provide anything in terms of adaptability of technology to road cars nor are they in any way similar to cars sold in dealerships. I presume if DTM for example went full electric, then there would be a decent amount of manufacturers interest. But Gerhard Berger has already expressed his dislike of electric racing, plus there's the risk that the DTM may alienate the remaining audience they have - TV numbers have fallen drastically compared to last year.

In my opinion, Berger should try to win over more private teams to the series. Obviously the costs of running a full season need to be lowered even more - less requirements on employees, hospitality and so on. At the very least, the cost of a DTM car has to be lowered to the levels of a GT3 car, which in my opinion can be done. To me, GT3 and DTM aren't that far off from each other, at least in terms of technology and looks. Still I'm convinced that there are some GT teams in Germany and Central Europe that want to compete in a more professional enviroment than GT racing. Even though DTM has had some sort of decline over the past years, it is still a well-known marque among racing fans and even some casuals - in Germany at least. So it might be easier to convince sponsors to invest in DTM than in some GT series. Of course the DTM needs to have a safe future, which it hasn't and which was the reason for companies like BWT or Red Bull withdrawing their sponsorship from the series.

So where does that leave BMW and Audi? Berger has already talked to both about the possibility of selling their equipment to private teams, which they were open towards. So BMW and Audi may very well withdraw financial assistance to their current works teams, but may still sell cars, as well as provide some technical assistance as well as works drivers. We've had DTM with only two manufacturers before and it was really boring, but only because we really had only two teams competing against each other. But if every teams stood on their own, it'd make for a more exciting product on the track. IndyCar has gotten along very well for the last couple of years and it's only been Honda vs. Chevy for years. So if DTM wants to survive, it needs to make into an IndyCar-like direction, namely to create an enviroment that stregthens the teams itself.
Old 21 May 2018, 14:26 (Ref:3823762)   #114
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Holy FIA...

https://twitter.com/geinou/status/998182540774182918
Old 21 May 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3823801)   #115
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
It'd be a bitter irony if the plug on DTM was pulled, just as the series starts to finally provide some decent racing on the track.

The problem is indeed that the DTM cars are pure race cars that don't provide anything in terms of adaptability of technology to road cars nor are they in any way similar to cars sold in dealerships. I presume if DTM for example went full electric, then there would be a decent amount of manufacturers interest. But Gerhard Berger has already expressed his dislike of electric racing, plus there's the risk that the DTM may alienate the remaining audience they have - TV numbers have fallen drastically compared to last year.

In my opinion, Berger should try to win over more private teams to the series. Obviously the costs of running a full season need to be lowered even more - less requirements on employees, hospitality and so on. At the very least, the cost of a DTM car has to be lowered to the levels of a GT3 car, which in my opinion can be done. To me, GT3 and DTM aren't that far off from each other, at least in terms of technology and looks. Still I'm convinced that there are some GT teams in Germany and Central Europe that want to compete in a more professional enviroment than GT racing. Even though DTM has had some sort of decline over the past years, it is still a well-known marque among racing fans and even some casuals - in Germany at least. So it might be easier to convince sponsors to invest in DTM than in some GT series. Of course the DTM needs to have a safe future, which it hasn't and which was the reason for companies like BWT or Red Bull withdrawing their sponsorship from the series.

So where does that leave BMW and Audi? Berger has already talked to both about the possibility of selling their equipment to private teams, which they were open towards. So BMW and Audi may very well withdraw financial assistance to their current works teams, but may still sell cars, as well as provide some technical assistance as well as works drivers. We've had DTM with only two manufacturers before and it was really boring, but only because we really had only two teams competing against each other. But if every teams stood on their own, it'd make for a more exciting product on the track. IndyCar has gotten along very well for the last couple of years and it's only been Honda vs. Chevy for years. So if DTM wants to survive, it needs to make into an IndyCar-like direction, namely to create an enviroment that stregthens the teams itself.
I totally agree. DTM cars should be not as expensive and then I'm sure many German (and not only) teams as well as sponsors would be willing to join DTM.
The example you gave with IndyCar is also relevant, the same was with Supercars when only Holden and Ford contested. It was a fierce battle between both manufacturers (an iconic 'tribe vs tribe' battle) but the emphasis was on teams and no one cared if factory Holden Racing Team is winning or losing with customer Holden teams etc. There were no team orders, politics and so on. Such a concept of DTM would be feasible even with two manufacturers.

It's written in such a chaotic manner that I don't understand. So is finally World Class 1 Championship going to happen or not? Will it be 'part' of DTM or not?
Old 23 May 2018, 01:54 (Ref:3824112)   #116
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Really would like to see them run the full T1 of the oval at the Lausitzring instead of that awkward twiddly bit they do.
Old 23 May 2018, 10:21 (Ref:3824169)   #117
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Really would like to see them run the full T1 of the oval at the Lausitzring instead of that awkward twiddly bit they do.
It did result is some very soft penalties on the weekend.
Old 24 May 2018, 14:19 (Ref:3824399)   #118
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
It did result is some very soft penalties on the weekend.

Mortara didn't sound happy.
Old 25 May 2018, 18:31 (Ref:3824610)   #119
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
IMO biggest problem of DTM is the huge involvement of the manufacturers.
Old 26 May 2018, 22:57 (Ref:3824835)   #120
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
IMO biggest problem of DTM is the huge involvement of the manufacturers.
Problem partly solved. They will get one less manufacturer from October.
Old 27 May 2018, 08:18 (Ref:3824872)   #121
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Problem partly solved. They will get one less manufacturer from October.
And yet another may leave at the end of the year as well.
Old 1 Jun 2018, 12:57 (Ref:3826015)   #122
Matt K
Veteran

https://www.motorsport.com/dtm/news/...races-1042586/

It seems that Super GT and DTM will race together next year. One race in Japan and one in Europe. Sadly, it doesn't change anything in regard of DTM's future. I doubt that Japanese manufacturers are willing to participate in DTM because if they have almost the same cars over there, what point is in racing in Europe? It would take much more money if, say, Honda would like to race in DTM and field 6-8 cars as a factory outfit.
Old 1 Jun 2018, 13:07 (Ref:3826018)   #123
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
It seems that Super GT and DTM will race together next year.

How many times have we read that?
Old 1 Jun 2018, 14:09 (Ref:3826029)   #124
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
How many times have we read that?
Numerous times probably. It looks like it's now sorted out yet still it doesn't play any role in securing DTM's future.
Old 1 Jun 2018, 14:20 (Ref:3826034)   #125
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Numerous times probably. It looks like it's now sorted out yet still it doesn't play any role in securing DTM's future.
Well, I'd suggest it does... this is a step closer to a universal class one format. We just have to see what the next step is