Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 11 May 2003, 21:30 (Ref:596349)   #1
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Views on GPL cars

I find it interesting how people like/dislike different cars in GPL.

I don't dislike driving any of the cars really, but they have different characteristics that are better than others.

Here's my 2p. Since everyone is different it'll be interesting to compare.

Lotus:

It's a very fast car, but it must be treated with respect. Get too lary and it'll bite.

Eagle:

Quite a nice car that I find I have to keep it wound up. I find it very quick to react to steering input and can also bite! Get it right and it rewards you. I actually find it not as easy as the Lotus.

Cooper:

I find it will ge me warning when I'm beginning to overstep the mark.

Ferrari:

A very forgiving car that can be slid around a bit and is less likely to bite. Plus I love ramping up the gears with the updated car sounds.

Brabham:

I hadn't really driven this car until the League races have come up on the horizon. What have I been missing! I love this car. I feel I can really grab it by the scruff of the neck and still feel within my limit. Above all it's FUN! Now I have got my Mexico setup sorted I'm really enjoying throwing it around there! (I never thought I'd say that).

BRM and Honda:

Can't really say anything at thid point due to lack of Mileage.

What are you views?
Old 11 May 2003, 21:46 (Ref:596363)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that the Brab is excellent, it really is a joy to drive round Rouen. I really like the Lotus, mainly because of the badge sitting in the middle of the screen when you drive it, but also because its so damned quick. It's a challenge to drive, but if you get it tamed it'll reward you. The sound of the Ferrari is also makes that car something very special and it's a great laugh on that left-right uphill section at the glen.
Old 11 May 2003, 21:51 (Ref:596371)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lotus-Not a fan of it. It's too ungraceful and really needs to be driven aggressively to be quick i find. Aggressive just ain't my style

Eagle-So-so really. very fast, but a bit sluggish when required to change direction all of a sudden, ie Masta at Spa. I prefer it to the Lotus.

Brabham-Far and away my favorite car. Responds well, suits my driving style, and will do almost anything you ask of it. It's just maybe too easy for it's own good though.

Honda-Rubbish under braking. Fast, but a bit skittish sometimes, and tends to understeer in the faster corners.

Ferrari-I like it, but it again gets skittish. I find it slides a lot under braking. Not very fast.

Cooper-Slow. But handles well, to my liking. It's just wallows around, and it doesn't ever bite, and it's very forgiving. But it just lacks a little in every department.

BRM-Not much milage, but more than most i reckon. It likes the medium speed stuff, and it's good on the anchors. It just lacks overall grip, and is way over wieght, which makes it very infriendly when you change direction suddenly. But i love the noise it makes. It's major failing though is out of the corners, it's like it has turbo lag. Put your foot down and nothing at all happens for about 3s.
Old 11 May 2003, 21:52 (Ref:596374)   #4
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
The sound of the Ferrari is also makes that car something very special and it's a great laugh on that left-right uphill section at the glen.
Brings back memories of that scrap at the 'Glen race. Now that was fun.
Old 11 May 2003, 21:53 (Ref:596375)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Missed that one. All being well i won't miss it next time
Old 11 May 2003, 21:54 (Ref:596376)   #6
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
that's still one of the best races I've ever had. Damn good fun .
Old 11 May 2003, 21:55 (Ref:596377)   #7
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
The Glen always guarrentees a cracker. I reckon Mexico will too.
Old 11 May 2003, 21:58 (Ref:596379)   #8
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
yeah, all being well I can see a good 5 way scrap at Mexico with Ayse, Tony, Spud, pirenzo and me. Should be fun...but we move off topic already...

I don't actually think I've driven the BRM or the Honda at all yet, they've both got a bit of a bad reputation from what I've read.
Old 11 May 2003, 22:21 (Ref:596398)   #9
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
I've had a brief go in the Honda, but only on a standard setup. First impressions are great in a straight line, but that's about it.
Old 11 May 2003, 23:33 (Ref:596446)   #10
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Honda is like a BRM with more power.

Very good at Monza. Very good at fast track period. It like fast corners. But under braking it really stinks. The revs just disappear under braking, and then you get a truck loada engine braking, and your wheels lock up and you slide straight on. It's not untill you get some power on that it responds at all. Which is why i don't recommend it for Silverstone, kyalami, or anywhere with heavy braking zones which you arrive at at top speed.
Old 12 May 2003, 00:28 (Ref:596483)   #11
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always thought the Honda handled like magic. Lovely lovely car. But for me it takes a lot to beat the Ferrari. Yes, "that noise" does lend any opinion I have on it a certain degree of bias, but it's so chuckable, so unruly, you have to fight a constant battle with it which, if you win, is massively rewarding and, more often than not, scorchingly fast. For rubbish me, anyway!!
Old 12 May 2003, 02:40 (Ref:596526)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the eagle-it just pulls and zooms away, but it is quite the greasy braker, The Lotus is like has been said- drive fast like mad, trail brake, shift in a corner and you'll do great, but if you do this with another car the rewards are a handful. the ferrari hmm, fast for me, just a little dullard, the sound, it has not put any best time for me, the eagle beats it every time, the BRM really been upset at its lack of direction change powers-but so fun when you get it right-which i haven't. I like the honda it does understeer in the fast ones, but it is overall quite good, reall must keep its momentum up to keep it fast kinda tough when a lotus is breathing down your neck. Haven't played the Cooper much but it looks so cool with the new update, just never inspired me to race it., Now brabham whoosh- so small and quick, it doesn't deal with traffic well though, one bump and off it goes.
Old 12 May 2003, 07:21 (Ref:596625)   #13
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
The ferrari reaches an upper limit eventually, after which it won't go any faster. It's just not as fast as the Lotus or Eagle. Especially on the faster circuits. As for the sound, i can't find one i like, the original was good, but slightly unrealistic, and the updated sounds all sound like moquitoes on steroids.
Old 12 May 2003, 07:22 (Ref:596626)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
it doesn't deal with traffic well though, one bump and off it goes.
You're supposed to drive around the traffic, not punt them off
Old 12 May 2003, 07:27 (Ref:596629)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK. My 5 penneth.

Lotus Very fast. Ultimately the quickest chassis at every Papy circuit, with the one exception of Spa. Not a beginner's car, IMO. On shorter circuits, takes 2-3 laps to warm up. Terrific "chuckability".

Ferrari In my hands, quite a bit slower than the Lotus, but much more forgiving.

Eagle Deceptively fast, especially at Spa. But also a good chassis with which to learn a circuit and it is much easier to handle, particularly from cold, than the Lotus.

Brabham Quicker than it appears at first, but because it is so light, you have to watch your brake balance - all too easy to lock up the wheels under braking. Not a slider, IMO. I have my moments with the Brab, on some circuits I love it, on others I avoid it like the plague.

Cooper A much better (and faster) car than most give it credit for. The ideal "learner" chassis, as it is soooooo forgiving.

Honda Faster than most realise - in a straight line. Hopeless around corners as it is so poor under braking. On a fast circuit like Spa, you can really wind it up, but you're thinking of your braking piints all the time.

BRM I've not really driven it a lot, but if you're prepared to give the 'box a hard time, it can be rewarding. Having 6 gears to play with is a real pain though. Heavy and desperately slow out of slow corners.

One thing I would recommend to everyone to enhance the feeling of all the cars is to play around with your engine wavs. It makes soooooo much difference. (All psychological - but it does work). Ducwolf's (Wolfgang Buthe) latest stereo wav set is superb.
Old 12 May 2003, 07:32 (Ref:596631)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh and one other thing - again, psychological. Although you may not notice much difference from inside the cockpit (you can see the other cars, of course), but I think using the 68 car set gives you a definite boost.
Old 12 May 2003, 16:34 (Ref:597097)   #17
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Yep. I find even some colours annoy me.

I hate dark cockpits, so i'm at home in a Ferrari, Honda, Matra, McLaren, Blue Brab, Orange Cooper.

And yes the 68 set is a tremendous boost. Having been stuck in the 3m28's for ages at LM, i immediately went out and put a 21 on the board on my first flying lap.