Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Jul 2004, 14:53 (Ref:1031410)   #1
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Champion to run second Audi at Sears Point (Sonoma arggh)

http://www.imsaracing.net/imsaNS.cfm...pentrylist.cfm

Hopefully we see this entry for the balance of the season.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:01 (Ref:1031417)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That does not come as a great suprise really, I think Mags alearted use to this a few weeks ago. I am under the impression that they the 2nd car is the car which they used at Le Mans this year.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:14 (Ref:1031429)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another LMP entry is most welcome for the ALMS...even if it IS another Audi....

Now all we need to do is get AutoCon, Team Elite, and some others back into the fray....

Anyone got the pocket change to buy one of the Panoz LMPs that ran last year????

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:20 (Ref:1031432)   #4
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
As that car has race number 2, will that be the Le Mans car?

Why not hand that newer car to Lehto and Werner?

Last edited by gert; 9 Jul 2004 at 15:20.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:22 (Ref:1031436)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is great news indeed! I'd love to see AutoCon out there now as well. That would be six top notch P1 cars and a more respectable field.

Let the driver speculation begin!
Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:25 (Ref:1031439)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They may do that,they make the Le Mans car #38 and make the existing car #2. All we keen to now is who is going to drive the car from what Mags said the other week it is going to be at least one very big name.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:43 (Ref:1031455)   #7
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
It was in May when the possibility of the second car running was first discussed, though Mag's has rehashed that since then. This is indeed the LeMans car, chassis 605.

I am a little suprised Autocon is not on either the Sonoma or the Portland race, as earlier they had expressed only missing East Coast events.

I sent an email to Intersport about running the Riley, and hadn't heard anything back.

Tim - sent you an email today.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 15:54 (Ref:1031467)   #8
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
it is going to be at least one very big name.
Maassen? Would love to see him in a P1-car.
Or is that not VERY big enough?

Kristensen then? Has he anything else lined up?

Errr... so many drivers available...
Old 9 Jul 2004, 16:02 (Ref:1031473)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Can not see it being Kristensen, I think he is away in China racing with A4 next weekend. As for as I know Maassen is Porsche works driver so we can discount that one too.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 16:02 (Ref:1031474)   #10
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Gert, remember that your first choice there is a Porsche factory driver. Do you think they'd let him drive another car, let alone one belonging to one of Porsche's biggest rivals?
Old 9 Jul 2004, 16:07 (Ref:1031481)   #11
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
I don't think Audi are Porsche's biggest rivals. Porsche doesn't have a LMP1 car, so he's not exactly driving AGAINST Porsche either.

And of course, there are some links between Champion and Porsche too.

Giving Maassen more Prototype experience would be helpful IF Prosche decides to build a LMP1 car someday...

But I agree, it may not be very likely at the moment that Maassen will get that ride.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 16:19 (Ref:1031494)   #12
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
It would seem as though McNish, Kristensen, Capello, Biela, Herbert.. are all signed as Audi drivers at some level this year. Certainly any of those would qualify as big names. I know we've discussed these names already in another thread, just can't find it.

Note, no chance of Autocon until at least Road America.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 16:59 (Ref:1031537)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd prefer to see one competitive, well funded LMP1 car (I.E. 2nd Champion Audi), that can compete for wins, than 3 or 4 fillers with no long term commitment to the championship.

I do think it is about time some of the better funded GT teams stepped upto LMP1 in the ALMS though.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 17:12 (Ref:1031550)   #14
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi had both cars at LRP as well as several extra bodies...

Bucknum also has two complete cars.

Last edited by billnchristy; 9 Jul 2004 at 17:12.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 17:15 (Ref:1031555)   #15
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
I do think it is about time some of the better funded GT teams stepped upto LMP1 in the ALMS though.
With you on that one, JAG. Dick Barbour did graduate from GTs to LMP675 with some success - he won the ALMS class title, I think - and AJR keep talking about a prototype project in the future, but it would be nice to see some real movement.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 17:46 (Ref:1031577)   #16
'70 Mach 1
Rookie

United States
Sacramento, CA. USA
'70 Mach 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to Champion Racing! Looking forward to being there ... I hope they run the second car for the rest of the season.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 18:15 (Ref:1031590)   #17
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Job seems commited to porsche though. Maybe if they loose the GT championship this year, they may consider pulling the Porsche support, and go Prototype racing..
Old 9 Jul 2004, 18:16 (Ref:1031591)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Since there are a number of Audi drivers already slotted in the UK cars and the Team Goh car (not to mention Lehto & Werner with Champion), how about this name.....because I haven't seen him in any sportscar lineups this year:

Johnny Kane

What is he doing these days???

or another:

Marc Goossens

Two good pilots....and Audi seems to pair a fast and aggressive guy (like Kane) with a fast, yet steady guy who knows how to feel a car and set it up (Goossens)....

That would be a good pairing....but I would be stunned if either guy was involved in this, simply because they don't have a history with Audi (to my knowledge)

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 9 Jul 2004, 18:16 (Ref:1031592)   #19
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey they could get patrick long a works american porsche factory driver. it would be great to see him get a break.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 18:44 (Ref:1031607)   #20
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Leave it to Tim to come up with some different picks. BTW Tim, Jonny Kane was in the Audi Sport UK car at Sebring in 2003 with Salo and McCarthy. So he has driven an Audi before.

I'll bring in one from left field that I'd love to see in a sportscar...Gil De Feran. I know he's not the choice, but it would be cool. Come out of retirement and do some road racing! How about Gil De Feran and Scott Sharp. Now I'm really joining Tim in left field!

I'm assuming that high profile means one of the top Audi boys. A high profile non-Audi driver would probably cost Champion too much money to make it worth while. Not when you consider the driver pool they have available. But I could be wrong. If the remaining LMES/ALMS dates don't conflict...how bout McNish and Herbert?
Old 9 Jul 2004, 18:54 (Ref:1031614)   #21
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Is Pirro doing anything at the moment?
He would qualify as an Audi guy, and a high profile driver too.
+ he knows the Champion team.

Same question for Johansson.

Isn't there another series where Champion is active with Audi cars?
Would these drivers be considered?
Old 9 Jul 2004, 19:17 (Ref:1031637)   #22
RM40
Racer

RM40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speed World Challenge GT has Champion running the factory Audi RS6's.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 21:11 (Ref:1031725)   #23
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why oh why is the lead Champion driver's name for SWC ecsaping me? He was a frickin' champion. Anyways, the head Champion guy let him have one lap in the R8 and wasn't impressed. I don't know if Pobst is ready to have it out on the LMP level, but I'd love to see him try. I'd like to see A.J. Allemdinger in the R8, but that's as left field as anyone else. If they only run two drivers per car at Petit, I beleive Johanson and Pirro are at the top of the list to fill the seat. Who was the third guy in the Biela/McNish Audi at Le Mans? Also, is Davies or Smith the "third guy" in the other Audi? Whoever the third guy is in those two cars has got to be a candidate, and if UK doesn't run PLM, would that not make them ALL candidates for the seat? I don't believe there are any schedule conflicts between ALMS and LMES.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 9 Jul 2004, 21:26 (Ref:1031733)   #24
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I think Guy Smith deserves a shot. He was supposed to contest the LMES season with Veloqx but got axed for no apparent reason. The guy is solid and he proved it again at Le Mans.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 21:38 (Ref:1031740)   #25
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Guy Smith he would be a good choice IMO, he has been fantastic at Le Mans over the last 2 years. I think the only reason Veloqx dropped him was because they saw Herbert as a better option. IMO Guy is quick and having meet him a couple of times he is a nice chap too.