Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Apr 2010, 22:41 (Ref:2671690)   #1
A-A
Rookie

A-A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Report on V8 Supercars SWOT.

Some interesting navel gazing that has been done by V8 supercars.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010...aid-bare-18992
Old 13 Apr 2010, 07:55 (Ref:2671827)   #2
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This sparks an interesting topic- What does everyone here view are V8 Supercars' Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 13 Apr 2010, 11:08 (Ref:2671914)   #3
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
" Splutter on my glass of Merlot "

SEVENTY ONE MILLION (gazillion beryllium)DOLLARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(sorry for the poor attempt at some Dr Evil impersonation)

I wonder in which Government department those numbers got hidden !

Even more more troubling is the Non-V8SC event turnover of $118 million.

Now, I'm no Oxford Schlor, (but don't mind one in my skyrocket), but this either means that the Australian Grand Prix paid TC & his cronies a lazy 'hugee mill' to turn up at Albert Park, or some other SEL areas are contributing big income.

Perhaps Peck, or one of the other apologists can explain it to a idiot like me ?
Old 13 Apr 2010, 12:39 (Ref:2671969)   #4
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
im not apologising for that poorly written article, it would seem that Geoffrey Harris and the boys at car point certainly have a hard on for V8 supercars. Very unprofessional article

what i will say is that $71m included one of spend for townsville and also homebush, we have already discussed this over and over thought and its mentioned in the article

Cant explain all of the non v8 event $118 mill, no idea
Old 13 Apr 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2672067)   #5
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Maybe it refers to the non-VESA promoted events, i.e. sanctioning fees for the events where track owners take promotional/ticketing/venue rights? For example, the Middle East, WA, Tas, Winton, Qld etc (where talking 2009 here).
Old 13 Apr 2010, 19:51 (Ref:2672252)   #6
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
Maybe it refers to the non-VESA promoted events, i.e. sanctioning fees for the events where track owners take promotional/ticketing/venue rights? For example, the Middle East, WA, Tas, Winton, Qld etc (where talking 2009 here).
Tasmania is a V8SCA event
Old 13 Apr 2010, 22:04 (Ref:2672340)   #7
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They must be selling a lot of V8Supercar non team shirts at Target/Kmart to make that much $$$
Old 14 Apr 2010, 07:05 (Ref:2672481)   #8
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Holly Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This is how I interpreted it as well.

A shame that the writer decided to fill the page with exclamation marks, rather than actually take time to understand and explain what it might mean...

"Firstly, it looks very odd that 27.7 per cent of the V8 Supercar "economy" -- or $118 million -- is "Non-V8SC event turnover". That's the biggest item of the six, and it's a non-event turnover! Bigger than the $110 million "turnover"! Almost five times the merchandise sales of the teams!"

Quality.
"There is no need to do massively expensive windtunnel testing, or all the other things that they do to get the extra second or two." - Richard Branson, on the eve of the 2010 season. Good luck Timo, you'll need it.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 09:29 (Ref:2672535)   #9
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Strengths - Tony Cochrane
Weaknesses - Tony Cochrane
Opportunities - Overseas races and markets
Threats - Isolating local fans and markets
Old 14 Apr 2010, 16:14 (Ref:2672712)   #10
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After giving it a little thought, here's a few that I have come up with. Don't expect total agreement on this, expecting expansion on it if possible.

STRENGTHS
- Strong TV Coverage on race weekends and non-race weekends
- Relationship with some state governments
- Relatively unique formula compared to other main Touring Car/Stock Car championships
- In a position to manage and promote rounds
- Presence internationally, with rounds in Asian Market
- Competitive mix of drivers in relatively similar equipment (despite some exceptions)
- Teams have a say in the future of the sport as opposed to people with more corporate then sporting experience
- Employment (e.g. Mechanics, fabricators, engineers, office staff, merchandising staff)
- Drivers worldwide want to get involved
- Big Events on Australian Calendar (Bathurst, Clipsal, to a degree Sydney and GC although will watch with interest this year)
- People that are passionate about the sport (Including us at 10 Tenths!)
- Promotional work, although the quality of promotional work is questionable

WEAKNESSES
- Sunday TV coverage, particularly when rounds are during the AFL season
- Lack of racing on Australian Permanent circuits (EC, Oran Park, Barbagallo all gone, QR, Winton, Sandown receiving threats to leave at various stages in last 10 years)
- Relationship with some state governments
- Hard for some teams to enter due to smaller grids
- Main support categories either struggling (e.g. Tubby Taylor Trophy) or gone (e.g. Carrera Cup) [Also a general Motorsport issue]
- Costs for all motorsport rising; V8's not immune particularly with fly away races ($6 Million for just 1 car?)
- Some fans disenchanted with style and venues of racing
- TV Ratings need to improve for rounds outside of Bathurst (Beaten by Women's Golf one weekend this year)

OPPORTUNITES

- Further growth in SE Asian market, particularly with COT
- Work with Governments on both Street and permanent circuit facilities for community use and also promoting road safety and awareness
- Digital multi-channels to further increase TV time (pending Anti-Siphoning list)
- Extra manufacturers provided it fits what all parties are looking for
- Variation on race formats (Distances, laps, 2-drivers, more enduros, no-pit stop races?)
- Further improvement on promotion of series (Quantity and especially QUALITY)
- Tie in with other sports (e.g. Hamilton this weekend with Rugby Friday night and V8's remainder of weekend).

THREATS
- Rival sports stealing revenue from sponsorships (e.g. JeldWen-St.Kilda, Autobarn-Canterbury), television (Rounds have moved this year because of Horse Racing)
- Relevance of V8 formula when small car market (with smaller economical engines) is major focus of many car companies and even target audience
- Possible change of state governments where relationships are strong but priorities may lie elsewhere
- Anti-Siphoning list giving Pay TV direct access to rights and thus reducing potential consumers
- Do other manufacturers want to get involved????? (Priorities with staying afloat? Rally? Other Motorsport?)
- Over emphasis on securing corporate dollars when fans are as much a part of driving those dollars up at the track?
-
Old 14 Apr 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2672838)   #11
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A report in this morning's East Island news says Skaife has overseen both the COTF and SWOT undertakings for V8 Supercar.
Given the cosy relationship he had as 'owner' of a Holden racing effort he hardly seems to be the most desirable person to allow near either study.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 00:59 (Ref:2672920)   #12
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't understand why you would think that fredd1.

In any case, the SWOT analysis they have done is very basic. I'd expect that level of analysis from a High School student, not an organisation. An incomplete/myopic SWOT like this only leads to a false sense of security.

I'm surprised its taken them this long to do it though. This is something that should be developed at the start of a business and reviewed regularly!

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 04:06 (Ref:2672942)   #13
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the article ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
im not apologising for that poorly written article, it would seem that Geoffrey Harris and the boys at car point certainly have a hard on for V8 supercars. Very unprofessional article

what i will say is that $71m included one of spend for townsville and also homebush, we have already discussed this over and over thought and its mentioned in the article

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorspo...0414-se4d.html

Also revealed in the analysis is the sport's reliance on government support with the NSW, South Australia and Queensland state governments helping to fund temporary street circuits. The wider issue of federal government support of the Australian automotive industry in general, and Ford and Holden in particular, is listed as a potential threat to V8 Supercar racing.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 06:46 (Ref:2672968)   #14
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
I'm surprised its taken them this long to do it though. This is something that should be developed at the start of a business and reviewed regularly!
It makes them appear to have been doing something.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 06:48 (Ref:2672969)   #15
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone know of what the position of the FTA channels is for the anti-syphoning rebid and any likely outcome/murmurs from the Broadcasting Commision?
(in respect to being able to broadcast on the digital channels 1st/live with a repeat/highlights on the regular channels, considering the impending implosion of analogue broadcast)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-A View Post
Some interesting navel gazing that has been done by V8 supercars.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010...aid-bare-18992
"For those unfamiliar with such things there are plenty of places to go on the internet for information, but Wikipedia was sufficient for our purposes."

Last edited by Axeman444; 15 Apr 2010 at 06:53.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 08:38 (Ref:2673012)   #16
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no difference in transmission between the analogue and digital channels

Sounds like you are getting confused between HD and SD on digital (this was the reason Ch 7 'claimed' they had to cut from some of the Australian Open Tennis matches and couldn't continue them past 6 pm on one of their other digital channels).
Old 15 Apr 2010, 10:07 (Ref:2673048)   #17
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
There's no difference in transmission between the analogue and digital channels...
...other than the fact that one transmits an analogue signal & the other transmits a digital signal...???

The only problem is the age old one of technology always being ahead of legislation.

The anti-siphoning laws were originally developed to prevent 'pay' TV buying the rights to (so called) 'iconic' events. Thereby preserving the 'rights' of the 'majority' to view such events 1st/live & 'free' (ie. on FTA).

Since the legislation was enacted, there have been major technological advancements, resulting in the many 'new' digital channels that are also FTA.

We just need the 'politicians' to agree to amend the legislation, to allow the 'new' digital FTA channels to be classified as being the same as the 'original' (analogue) FTA channels - allowing 1st/live broadcasts of the 'protected' events on digital FTA.

easy really...............
Old 15 Apr 2010, 12:24 (Ref:2673110)   #18
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Probably advertising/endorsement revenue? Probably getting in the region of $15 mill from Telstra and XXXX considering they wanted $11 million from Shell the year Shell pulled out and that was over a decade ago now. They wouldn't have peezzed off Nissan from the safety car deal unless there was quite a lot of millions at play. Then there is their raft of Official "insert product here" of V8 Supercar, they have a good dozen of those, which they monopolise from the teams getting any influence on.

There's probably a nice little income going on selling slots of V8 Supercar events to support categories, that may or may not be including in V8 Supercar event. Similarly V8 Supercar Television recording those categories for Seven might be on a separate book.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 14:12 (Ref:2673155)   #19
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TV rights + 25%

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nr...-1225853389941

THE NRL is not the only sporting code looking to cash in on their next TV rights deal.

Considered the country's fastest-growing sport, V8 Supercars wants a 25 per cent increase on the rumoured $170 million Seven paid to snatch the rights from Channel 10.

The current deal with Seven expires at the end of next year.

Interesting given other articles suggest ALL the increased dollars to either the NRL &/or AFL, nothing/nil/zip for the rest, V8s included.

For example today:
The offer is less than the $15-$20m rugby wanted for the rights and comes at a critical time for a game that is trying to broaden its appeal to the viewing public. Ratings for Wallabies matches have fallen since Seven is believed to have paid about $17m for the last five-year deal.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225853813464