Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 25 Jan 2007, 21:18 (Ref:1825980)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All 3 Mansells to test new Champ Car

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/34999/

Quote:
Three of the more celebrated drivers to take in today’s test session were named Mansell . . . as in ’92 World Champion/’93 Champ Car champion Nigel Mansell and sons Greg and Leo. Mansell, of course, maintains a house on the Gulf Coast and made it his business to drop by Sebring to see some old friends at Newman/Haas Racing, and perhaps scope out the new look Champ Car World Series with an eye towards the futures of his sons, who raced Formula BMW last year and are slated to do the British F3 series this year.

“It’s been more than a dozen years since I raced here but it only takes an instant for all the old feelings to come back,” said Mansell. “It was so good to see the boys at Newman/Haas again and talk with Paul (Newman).”

And extract a promise from his former boss.

“I talked with Paul and he’s promised to let us have a go with one of the cars after the season,” said Mansell.

“All three of you?” I asked.

“Absolutely,” he replied. “I have to give these two something to shoot for!”
One word. Fantastic.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 17:31 (Ref:1826668)   #2
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Cool to see, but i really think mansell is rushing his boys up the ladder. leo was finsihing last at silverstone the last round, i think another year in FBMW would have done no harm. surely testing a champ car is a bit much too soon?
Old 26 Jan 2007, 20:14 (Ref:1826781)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Problem that Greg and Leo have is that they will be trying to emulate their father, and no doubt he'll be egging them on to progess as fast as possible...

Mansell back at the wheel of a ChampCar again? Great news!
Old 26 Jan 2007, 21:11 (Ref:1826805)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
More excited about Nigel at the wheel to be honest!

His boys seem to be getting rather fast tracked here, but if they show some talent that is no real problem. There has been no indication of massive promise, although the F3 debut for one of them (can't remember which!) was quite decent.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 21:45 (Ref:1826820)   #5
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
There has been no indication of massive promise, although the F3 debut for one of them (can't remember which!) was quite decent.
Greg, the one who looks like Nigel.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 22:59 (Ref:1826872)   #6
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole article was full of interesting info. Thanks for posting!
Old 26 Jan 2007, 23:01 (Ref:1826873)   #7
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
Greg, the one who looks like Nigel.
Yes, he looks like his old man and is also the best of the two brothers.

leo, i dunno, needs some more practice

definately cool to nige back in a champ car!
Old 26 Jan 2007, 23:28 (Ref:1826895)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
More excited about Nigel at the wheel to be honest!
I wonder how quick he would be... I mean Nige has been very strong in the GP Masters series, despite some serious car problems on occassion!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 27 Jan 2007, 00:18 (Ref:1826922)   #9
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure Nige is still the fastest Mansell around.
Old 27 Jan 2007, 00:51 (Ref:1826930)   #10
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imagine if he (Nige) is quickest overall, that would be something
Old 27 Jan 2007, 08:55 (Ref:1827014)   #11
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
Imagine if he (Nige) is quickest overall, that would be something
would it be? mansell has had the experiance of driving the fastest machines around, F1, indy cars, both in their peak years.

i think greg and leo are being rushed. they have only done FBMW for one year and an F3 race, although i was impressed by their showing in F3! suprising.

still i wouldnt be suprised to see Nige quicker than his boys, he knows how to handle these fast cars, greg and leo dont yet.

i think knowing Nige as a person he will want to be the fastest out of the 3 as well
Old 27 Jan 2007, 10:46 (Ref:1827061)   #12
NWFF 37
Rookie

United Kingdom
warrington
NWFF 37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Nige will still be quickest after the boys have done a full F3 season
Old 27 Jan 2007, 11:03 (Ref:1827068)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He has had GP Masters to keep him fresh all be it quite some less hp.

Yes Greg and Leo have been rushed, in only their first year of ever racing they did f bmw uk and a British F3 round! Just testing karts in 2005. 2007 they are doing British F3.
Greg has some potential mid field runner last year but leo from what I saw finished at the back more then he didn't. He also lacks skill IMHO. We looked at his car at Silverstone and the wing angles were litrally a right angle, yet Greg's and the other front runners were quite flat...
Old 28 Jan 2007, 03:02 (Ref:1827580)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to see Mansell back full time for next year.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 10:19 (Ref:1827670)   #15
Alex Toropov
Racer

Alex Toropov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruno Senna proved, that you can spend your first full season in car racing in British F3 and be on the pace of championship winner by the end of the year, if you are talented enough... (not to mention certain finnish driver, which jumped from F-Renault straight into F1).

The main things required are front-running team and decent amount of testing, otherwise any number of years spent in junior categories will be pointless.

As far as I understood, Gerhard Berger helped Bruno to set up his first tests in Europe, bla-bla-bla, so hopefully Nigel's connections in British F3 will allow him to put his guys into decent team in Championship class.

Last edited by Alex Toropov; 28 Jan 2007 at 10:23.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 10:50 (Ref:1827678)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's hard to imagine either of them being F3 frontrunners this year, they just don't seem to have inherited Nigel's talent. Nigel doing a test is nice for old time's sake, and he could get within about 107% of the fastest guys. As long as he doesn't do a dumb thing like considering a comeback, it's good.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 12:15 (Ref:1827735)   #17
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Toropov
Bruno Senna proved, that you can spend your first full season in car racing in British F3 and be on the pace of championship winner by the end of the year, if you are talented enough... (not to mention certain finnish driver, which jumped from F-Renault straight into F1).

The main things required are front-running team and decent amount of testing, otherwise any number of years spent in junior categories will be pointless.

As far as I understood, Gerhard Berger helped Bruno to set up his first tests in Europe, bla-bla-bla, so hopefully Nigel's connections in British F3 will allow him to put his guys into decent team in Championship class.
Alex, that already happened in F BMW, they will were the championship winning team or leading driving the championship or something.

Also Formula Renualt? Don't you mean the old World Series Nissan? If heikki kovalainen is who you mean.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 12:38 (Ref:1827758)   #18
Alex Toropov
Racer

Alex Toropov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no, I meant mister Raikkonen he went from F-Renault (2 litre) racing in 2000 into F1 with Sauber in 2001.

It seems, both Mansells are already signed to drive for Fortec this year, so good luck to them... not exactly in top-team, but Yelmer Buurman showed last year, that in rainy conditions it's possible to fight for victories (due to Yelmer's driving skills, perhaps) and be in top-5 consistently when it's dry.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 12:54 (Ref:1827777)   #19
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Oh, fair enough.

Even if Greg and Leo ever jump into something big I don't think they are natural drivers who will ever be as good as their dad was. I know there is more to be seen from them, don't mean to be blunt but I don't think there's anything special about them.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 13:00 (Ref:1827784)   #20
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Fortec motorsport are the top team in Fbmw, which the mansells where in, greg has more potential, but was still only a mid feild runner.

they are being rushed, that is their problem.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 05:37 (Ref:1828293)   #21
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well with regards to the Champcar test , I dont think its a serious try out but just a bit of fun and something for the young Mansell's to aspire to.

Unless One of them sets the world on fire I dont think we would see one of them lining up in one next year or the year after but certainly a great opportunity just to drive one.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 08:36 (Ref:1828341)   #22
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
well with regards to the Champcar test , I dont think its a serious try out but just a bit of fun and something for the young Mansell's to aspire to.

Unless One of them sets the world on fire I dont think we would see one of them lining up in one next year or the year after but certainly a great opportunity just to drive one.
agreed. but at the rate Nige is moving hos boys up the series, it wouldnt come as a asuprise if he had them in a team in 2008!

well i suppose he would want to put greg and leo into Gp2? dont know maybe he wants to use champ car as a ladder.

would be good exposure for champ car to have mansell running both his boys in the series though dont you think?
Old 29 Jan 2007, 21:01 (Ref:1828939)   #23
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
It would be very good exposure, I never even thought about it because it never crossed my mind. 1 I didn't think they would make it that far and 2 I didn't know Nige still had the passion for the series anymore as some ex drivers we know don't! Especially with the way he couldn't wait to leave the series when he was no longer winning, whining instead and get back to Formula 1.
I felt like asking him this at Silverstone but kieran as you remember we had to chase the old git through the entire paddock! Joking aside, Nige was one of my favourite drivers from the '90s also my Dad's favourite.
Its all down to fun and Mansell keeping an eye on the series it seems and obviously likes the new car and at the same time whilst his sons are climbing the ladder they will also have an opportunity to have some fun and also maybe attract some pr of some sort for their careers.
Someone pointed out team Mansell in Champ Car, very nice. arggg too many winks! LOL
Old 30 Jan 2007, 16:42 (Ref:1829541)   #24
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A GPM car is really just an old Reynard Champcar so he should adapt to the new one easily. Cool!
Old 30 Jan 2007, 18:38 (Ref:1829607)   #25
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
(GPM) Well its a different chassis now and also a lot less hp.