Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jun 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2907832)   #1
Perksy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Pershore
Perksy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton targets British 1 2

So...he's gone from giving up on the title, to saying he hasn't the next day, to now being very feisty indeed.
He's clearly been leant upon by his team so that they don't start losing sponsors.

Oh I long for the days when JV or Montoya would say it like it is!
Old 29 Jun 2011, 09:31 (Ref:2907835)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh I think it's just 'picking up the pieces' more than anything.

A load of PR yabba to make up for his true feelings.

Selby
Old 29 Jun 2011, 09:36 (Ref:2907838)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Hamilton seems to be lumbered with a poor management team...to say the least!

He should be optimistic about the upcoming GP at Silverstone, but he knows, as does everyone else, that Silverstone is a Red Bull track.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 12:40 (Ref:2907938)   #4
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I will say one thing, it is at least admirable that he isn't going to give up and let Vettel win the championship so quickly. Sadly however, we all know that Silverstone is an aero track and the Red Bull, even with the hot air diffuser ban, will still be mighty there.

History is going to repeat itself Lewis - the 'new Mansell' will win again at Silverstone! I bet he regrets calling Vettel that now!
Old 29 Jun 2011, 12:48 (Ref:2907952)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Hamilton is the new Mansell! Maybe for the Silverstone GP, it wouldn't be such a bad thing.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 15:08 (Ref:2908031)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Wouldn't it be funny if Jenson won, Lewis second - but not the 1-2 Lewis has in mind i'd imagine.

I was reading a link through someone i follow on Twitter yesterday (can't remember who, sorry) but it quotes Andrew Benson (of BBC F1 iirc) who has spoke to someone within Lewis's "team" (again un-named) who said that "Lewis would leave McLaren tomorrow if he could". I honestly don't see a continuation of Lewis and McLaren after the present contract expires.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 15:34 (Ref:2908047)   #7
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
Well I will say one thing, it is at least admirable that he isn't going to give up and let Vettel win the championship so quickly. Sadly however, we all know that Silverstone is an aero track and the Red Bull, even with the hot air diffuser ban, will still be mighty there.

History is going to repeat itself Lewis - the 'new Mansell' will win again at Silverstone! I bet he regrets calling Vettel that now!
Silverstone - a track where the vast majority of the circuit is run at full throttle. Somehow I don't think the off throttle gas ban is going to make much difference!
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 16:52 (Ref:2908088)   #8
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Hamilton seems to be lumbered with a poor management team...to say the least!

He should be optimistic about the upcoming GP at Silverstone, but he knows, as does everyone else, that Silverstone is a Red Bull track.
They can only work with what he gives them..............

Anyway, I don't think it's a serious aspiration, he just said it would be nice.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 17:19 (Ref:2908101)   #9
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Is there a link to these quotes? I can't find anything about Hamilton targeting a 1-2 in the British GP.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 17:25 (Ref:2908109)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Is there a link to these quotes? I can't find anything about Hamilton targeting a 1-2 in the British GP.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/form...e/13953045.stm

Button slams Webber, Alonso. shock, horror!

"The only people to beat him this season are Lewis and myself. We are the challengers."

Old 29 Jun 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2908131)   #11
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
"What we really want is a 1-2"

Who doesn't? It's like a football team 'targeting' a victory. Non-story.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2908143)   #12
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 driver eyes successful result
Autosport eyes new headline styles
Irvine eyes up girl

All plausible F1 headlines.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 18:08 (Ref:2908148)   #13
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perksy View Post
So...he's gone from giving up on the title, to saying he hasn't the next day, to now being very feisty indeed.
He's clearly been leant upon by his team so that they don't start losing sponsors.

Oh I long for the days when JV or Montoya would say it like it is!
I think Lewis probably got out the car following a highly disappointing race in Valencia and was all doom and gloom and the next day was just trying to pick himself up. I suspect the doom and gloom is nearer the true mark at the moment, but it never pays to be too negative thinking - might as well hope for the best.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 21:26 (Ref:2909619)   #14
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Wouldn't it be funny if Jenson won, Lewis second - but not the 1-2 Lewis has in mind i'd imagine.

I was reading a link through someone i follow on Twitter yesterday (can't remember who, sorry) but it quotes Andrew Benson (of BBC F1 iirc) who has spoke to someone within Lewis's "team" (again un-named) who said that "Lewis would leave McLaren tomorrow if he could". I honestly don't see a continuation of Lewis and McLaren after the present contract expires.
And this is the team that has supported him 100% since he was, like 12! The words ungrateful, self-centred and fair weather only jump out at me. I would love to see him go to Red Bull and and get the reality check of just how far off Vettel he is.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2909623)   #15
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd be surprised if he was much slower than Vettel. I think they'd be quite evenly matched with Hamilton with a bit more raw pace,
Old 2 Jul 2011, 00:06 (Ref:2909661)   #16
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6 View Post
And this is the team that has supported him 100% since he was, like 12! The words ungrateful, self-centred and fair weather only jump out at me. I would love to see him go to Red Bull and and get the reality check of just how far off Vettel he is.

Last edited by wnut; 2 Jul 2011 at 00:13.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 02:56 (Ref:2909710)   #17
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
^BWAHAHA!!- he matched ALONSO IN HIS FIRST YEAR! yeah, he's not going to be shown up by fingerboy. If he was at Red Bull, they'd have won EVERY race this year. They just about have. While I rate Vettel highly, Alonso or Hamilton in their car would be just as fast, probably faster.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 10:38 (Ref:2913842)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
^BWAHAHA!!- he matched ALONSO IN HIS FIRST YEAR! yeah, he's not going to be shown up by fingerboy. If he was at Red Bull, they'd have won EVERY race this year. They just about have. While I rate Vettel highly, Alonso or Hamilton in their car would be just as fast, probably faster.
Alonso...maybe. Hamilton would still have ended up in front of the stewards for something or over. Outright speed isn't everything, either. Sometimes you need to take your 'racing head' off, and put your 'thinking head' on.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 11:46 (Ref:2913867)   #19
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
I think Vettel is very good, but I reckon Hamilton would shade him over a season in the same car.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 12:04 (Ref:2913879)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I think Vettel is very good, but I reckon Hamilton would shade him over a season in the same car.
Somehow, you know that it just wouldn't work out that way.
Old 3 Jul 2011, 14:11 (Ref:2917404)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Hamilton has 'get out clause', apparently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/for...e-McLaren.html

Hamilton to......Mercedes ???
Old 3 Jul 2011, 16:28 (Ref:2917514)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He's targeting 12th place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
.....he's not going to be shown up by fingerboy.....

Fingerboy...... I like that......
Old 3 Jul 2011, 18:44 (Ref:2917561)   #23
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post

Fingerboy...... I like that......
I thought that Vettel was 'the new Mansell'? Seriously though, what is it with those strange radio messages he gives to his team after ever race win?

I saw the Lewis story as well. Where could he go? Ferrari is a no-no, because of his nemesis Alonso and Red Bull I can't see him in. I think if he went there he and Seb would clash(much like he and Alonso did in 2007). Mercedes, despite having the great talents of Ross Brawn, don't seem to be going anyway fast. McLaren are still a top team which has the experience of winning and also know how to develop a car through the season well. I suppose Lewis could take a sabbatical and then wait for one of the top teams to have a spare driver position, but that doesn't look likely any time soon.
Old 3 Jul 2011, 19:08 (Ref:2917570)   #24
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's all very well talking about moving to another team but history shows that if you are moving between the top few well funded teams a move to what was a better team last year is fraught with risk as the pecking order can change quite abruptly. It took Jenson years to recover from such a mistake and Ayrton got very badly bitten and was sadly killed before he had a chance to turn things around. Hamilton could easily jump ship just as Mclaren work their way back to the top but in his case he would also wreck what is to some extent at least a special relationship.
Old 3 Jul 2011, 20:29 (Ref:2917605)   #25
stripedcat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
It's all very well talking about moving to another team but history shows that if you are moving between the top few well funded teams a move to what was a better team last year is fraught with risk as the pecking order can change quite abruptly. It took Jenson years to recover from such a mistake and Ayrton got very badly bitten and was sadly killed before he had a chance to turn things around. Hamilton could easily jump ship just as Mclaren work their way back to the top but in his case he would also wreck what is to some extent at least a special relationship.
Jenson didn't want to leave Williams, they wanted Montoya in it. He was kept under contract but given to Renault, then moving to BAR Honda. He brought himself out of his Williams contract. Actually a smart move, as Williams haven't won again since BMW dropped them. I admit, it didn't look it at the time. As was a smart move, of leaving Brawn and going to McLaren.

Ayrton probably made a wise move as well, when he moved to Williams from McLaren. They were the team to beat back then. Sadly he was killed, but there was no doubting that the Williams from 1992 to 1997 was the top car. McLaren had a long spell in the wilderness.

I take your point though as moving between top teams could ruin the inter team relationships. Just look at Alonso when he moved to McLaren. He never established himself in that team(at least that is my impression of it). He was lucky that Ferrari were unhappy with Kimi and he got himself another top drive, otherwise he won be stuck in a Renault still.