Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jul 2015, 15:38 (Ref:3555219)   #26
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, I like that idea!
Old 1 Jul 2015, 15:39 (Ref:3555221)   #27
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe - now that Horner is married to Geri - he can focus more on the problems at Red Bull?

Think she's going to be as expensive as an engine, with more revs..
Old 1 Jul 2015, 15:41 (Ref:3555222)   #28
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Yes, I like that idea!
Obviously it's a take on your original idea and I think it has a lot of potential, though I wonder how long it would take before anyone noticed?
Old 1 Jul 2015, 15:45 (Ref:3555225)   #29
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Maybe - now that Horner is married to Geri - he can focus more on the problems at Red Bull?

Think she's going to be as expensive as an engine, with more revs..
Hopefully, she can spice things up a bit and get RBR back on track.
Old 1 Jul 2015, 16:17 (Ref:3555233)   #30
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
They should paint one car from each team in the others colors, just in case.
Old 1 Jul 2015, 19:33 (Ref:3555266)   #31
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Autosport's Dieter Rencken, says Red Bull's treat to quit should be taken seriously.

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...807.1435108645
Old 1 Jul 2015, 20:45 (Ref:3555272)   #32
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Autosport's Dieter Rencken, says Red Bull's treat to quit should be taken seriously.

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...807.1435108645
I have seen that article and there is a lot of logic to it. I cannot see RB getting back to the top in the next 2 or 3 years unless Renault engines improve by a massive leap. RB don't seem to have the long term commitment like Ferrari, Williams or McLaren had in their lean years.
Old 1 Jul 2015, 21:48 (Ref:3555278)   #33
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All you have to do is look at RBR's performance in the constructor championship since they started to tell the story of why the are acting as they are...

2005 7th
2006 7th
2007 5th
2008 7th
2009 2nd
2010 1st
2011 1st
2012 1st
2013 1st
2014 2nd
2015 4th (so far)

Other than 2008 minor blip (still scored more points than the previous year), the have improve year after year until 2014. What they have learned from this is that if you invest, you improve and eventually will win. Now as we know that is not true. They are upset that (minus Newey) they are roughly the same (RBR not Renault) as those years that they dominated. They might be getting the short end of the stick right now, but it could have easily been someone else in their position and they could have been on top like Mercedes is today. They have unrealistic expectations given how the rules are setup (which they walked into with open eyes).

If they are unhappy, then step up with a plan that has consensus and then bring that to FIA or whoever. Mercedes says they are open to changes. I would think RBR and Renault would be working with them and others to create a plan vs. public moaning. The public really can do nothing but either agree with them, or disagree, but we (public) can't fix this. I get the impression they want someone else to do the hard work of fixing this.

Richard
Old 2 Jul 2015, 00:29 (Ref:3555297)   #34
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hopefully, she can spice things up a bit and get RBR back on track.
It needs something Dr Marko is not the answer...
Old 4 Jul 2015, 01:36 (Ref:3555716)   #35
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
It needs something Dr Marko is not the answer...
Dr. Pepper?
Old 4 Jul 2015, 22:15 (Ref:3555821)   #36
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Autosport and others are reporting that Aston Martin may be in discussions with Red Bull about a possible investment in the team. This would be allied with a potential supply of Mercedes PSUs as early as 2016, which would allow RBR to find a build a case for breaking their contract with Renault.

Two of the directors now at Aston Martin were believed to be responsible for the tie up of RBR to Infiniti whilst they worked for Nissan, so they already have a good relationship with the team at Brackley.

From Renault's point of view, and possibly Red Bull's, this could be fortuitous as it would give them the possibility of either withdrawing from F1 entirely or buying one of the existing teams. From Red Bull's side, they could consider selling off Toro Rosso to Renault which means that they then wouldn't need to go down the Lotus route.

Of course, this could well be pure speculation on the part of some of the media who needed to fill space, and nothing will come of it. Or is it?
Old 4 Jul 2015, 23:11 (Ref:3555829)   #37
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It seems more likely that Renault will go the Lotus route but it is just pure speculation at the moment.
I would have thought that Aston Martin would not have the resources for a significant F1 program in terms of cost given that it is a niche car manufacturer (Although we recently have had a Russian car maker that sold very few cars in F1).
I wonder how this will effect Aston's GT program?
Old 5 Jul 2015, 06:36 (Ref:3555855)   #38
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I would have thought that Aston Martin would not have the resources for a significant F1 program in terms of cost..
The way I read that is Aston Martin's position would be no different to that of Infiniti now. Just a sponsorship exercise and with their connections are able to facilitate a Mercedes engine deal. It's not like Aston have to build anything themselves, so they're not committing to major F1 program per se.
Old 5 Jul 2015, 08:00 (Ref:3555868)   #39
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cannot imagine for a second that Merc would want to give their engine to Red Bull.

If it does happen, would Toro Rosso get Merc engines too?
Old 5 Jul 2015, 09:08 (Ref:3555876)   #40
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Cold water is flowing from Mercedes on any possible deal with RB.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/me...ed-bull-tie-up
Old 5 Jul 2015, 09:29 (Ref:3555879)   #41
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the RB brand/tv channel/magazine/social media/x-games/space flight promoting/self aggrandizing merc engine deal would reach several*several million more eyes than an merc running their own f1 team ever could.

for better or worse RB as a brand is bigger now to todays generation than Ferrari/magnum p.i. ever was for us as kids.

we really need to stop looking at RB's 30 plus years involved with every cool sport on the planet as something to be so easily dismissed.

if the merc board doesnt like this idea then as an old guy im selling my shares in them tomorrow.
Old 5 Jul 2015, 11:57 (Ref:3555900)   #42
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW are doing electric cars now, I think a BMW power unit in a Red Bull F1 car would be a good marketing fit.

There has been a bit written on the possible Audi (VW) tie up with Red Bull for a F1 entry.
Old 5 Jul 2015, 12:47 (Ref:3555906)   #43
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As long as RBR are playing 'Pop Goes The Renault' each race, 4th is the best they can get.

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Jul 2015, 22:47 (Ref:3556022)   #44
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybanana View Post
The way I read that is Aston Martin's position would be no different to that of Infiniti now. Just a sponsorship exercise and with their connections are able to facilitate a Mercedes engine deal. It's not like Aston have to build anything themselves, so they're not committing to major F1 program per se.
According to this, http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119860, Toto Wolff hasn't ruled it out and Aston Martin would be a brand partner.
Old 7 Jul 2015, 02:43 (Ref:3556347)   #45
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
According to this, http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119860, Toto Wolff hasn't ruled it out and Aston Martin would be a brand partner.
Mercedes would be quite content to be the only engine supplier, with only Ferrari outside the camp I reckon!

How to make a profit out of F1!
Old 7 Jul 2015, 06:41 (Ref:3556386)   #46
Pole2Win
Rookie

Brazil
Pole2Win should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
the RB brand/tv channel/magazine/social media/x-games/space flight promoting/self aggrandizing merc engine deal would reach several*several million more eyes than an merc running their own f1 team ever could.

for better or worse RB as a brand is bigger now to todays generation than Ferrari/magnum p.i. ever was for us as kids.

we really need to stop looking at RB's 30 plus years involved with every cool sport on the planet as something to be so easily dismissed.

if the merc board doesnt like this idea then as an old guy im selling my shares in them tomorrow.
The problem is that RBR's wins are always more Red Bull than the engine supplier to the public eye and RBR makes sure that's the way things go. Renault benefitted little from supplying their engines to RBR all this time, especially when they chose to advertise Infiniti instead of themselves. The uneducated probably don't even know RBR uses Renault engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Mercedes would be quite content to be the only engine supplier, with only Ferrari outside the camp I reckon!

How to make a profit out of F1!
Not unheard of in F1, actually. There was a time in the 70s when most of the grid used the DFV and only Ferrari developed their own engines.

The problem, of course, is that Mercedes is also a constructor in today's F1, and now that they're winning they wouldn't be happy with a customer team beating them.
Old 7 Jul 2015, 12:08 (Ref:3556446)   #47
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What is stopping Renault from purchasing Tyrrell.. oops MercedesGP... and switching to the Renault engine...

Mercedes becomes an engine supplier with 2 WDCs & 2 WCCs under its belt in its own name. Well Tyrrell's name, scratched out & replaced with BAR, Honda, BrawnGP & now Mercedes...

Mercedes gets to spend less supplying 5 teams than they do owning one and supplying 4 of them (including their own), while Red Bull can pay for all the aero work and magic that they keep delivering...

Mr Hamilton to Red Bull Mercedes, Mr Rosberg to Scuderia Toro Rosso Mercedes?

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 7 Jul 2015, 14:57 (Ref:3556502)   #48
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole2Win View Post
The problem is that RBR's wins are always more Red Bull than the engine supplier to the public eye and RBR makes sure that's the way things go. Renault benefitted little from supplying their engines to RBR all this time, especially when they chose to advertise Infiniti instead of themselves. The uneducated probably don't even know RBR uses Renault engines.
but surely they benefited (from and advertising perspective) far more from their successful partnership with RB then they did with say Williams back in the late 90's.

did they benefit as much as they did when they won in 05 & 06 when they ran the store themselves? probably not.

if they want more branding exposure then they should put both feet back in the water but as a supplier they will always take a back seat to brand they are supplying. thats just the nature of supply deals no?
Old 8 Jul 2015, 09:58 (Ref:3556719)   #49
Pole2Win
Rookie

Brazil
Pole2Win should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
but surely they benefited (from and advertising perspective) far more from their successful partnership with RB then they did with say Williams back in the late 90's.

did they benefit as much as they did when they won in 05 & 06 when they ran the store themselves? probably not.

if they want more branding exposure then they should put both feet back in the water but as a supplier they will always take a back seat to brand they are supplying. thats just the nature of supply deals no?
Disagree. From 92-97 the only year they didn't win was 94 (four with Williams and one with Benetton), and we all know how controversial that was. Williams had a far shorter reach as an F1 constructor back then than RBR has today, because Red Bull is involved in a myriad of different sports and makes a product that is better known by the general public than what Williams does (hybrid technology).

I also remember Renault making quite a big deal of their F1 involvement back then, with a few specials like the Espace F1 built with the sole purpose of increasing brand awareness and capitalizing on its F1 success.
Old 8 Jul 2015, 13:25 (Ref:3556751)   #50
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What is wrong with Redbull?

FWIW I think the phrase Williams-Renault back then was more common than Red Bull-Renault is now.
Red Bull is the dominant name for the current one with nothing else getting a look in. More equal back then and, I think, we associate Renault with those cars as much as we do Rothmans or Canon.