Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 3 Nov 2005, 20:01 (Ref:1451539)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Jimmy Vasser

Although I hate to think about it, this race in Mexico City may quite likely be Jimmy Vasser's last.

"I think this is probably going to be my last year but I'm going to sit down with my partners and we'll work things out. I don't want to take up a seat if somebody is faster but I also don't want to give it up if they can't beat me."

There's a nice commentary about him here.
Old 3 Nov 2005, 22:31 (Ref:1451668)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is a very good read. I wouldn't say I am a big Vasser fan, but I do have a huge amount of respect for him. A real class act. It would be nice to see him go out (if it be the case) on the top step.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 4 Nov 2005, 00:20 (Ref:1451723)   #3
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's going to be tough not seeing Jimmy Vasser on the grid.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 01:02 (Ref:1451737)   #4
parabolica
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
parabolica should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vasser has 2 podiums in the last 2 races. Which is pretty good considering his teammate (CDM) hasnt scored too many himself this year. The younger talent may be as quick as Jimmy (maybe) but 14 yrs of Champcar has given Jimmy a wealth of experience, which is impossible to replace.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 01:54 (Ref:1451762)   #5
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jimmy is awesome- I love watching him race, always the gentleman and he brings the car home, which is something he must teach many to do.
Jimmy your the best.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 03:40 (Ref:1451793)   #6
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great read.

One of my favourite stories from the Vasser-Zanardi partnership was at Laguna Seca in 1997.

Vasser won the race and Zanardi clinched the championship by finishing third. They were so happy they tried to drive the cool down lap side-by-side, with their wheels just inches apart.

However they made contact coming down through the left-hander after the corkscrew. Zanardi continued on, but Vasser spun off and was stuck in the sand. Zanardi made it back to the pits while the race-winner was stranded out on the track.

He sheepishly scored a lift back to the pits on the sidepod of (I think) Max Papis or Michael Andretti ......?

Very funny stuff!
Old 4 Nov 2005, 05:56 (Ref:1451832)   #7
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jimmy is a great driver he has been my fovorite since when i started watching in 2002 I remember his win at Fontana, and his run at Long Beach, I'm sure if he would of been able to secure his ride at rahal for 2003 he would of been champion once again. I will always remember jimmy as one of the greats in the the era of me being a fan. He is a great champion the last american also.

WOOT WOOT
I finally have 500 posts in an awesome time of two years.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 07:06 (Ref:1451852)   #8
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Champ Car will not be the same without Jimmy Vasser, he has been in the game as long as i have been following.

Champ Car without characters such as Vasser and Tracy just isnt Champ Car... please race on Jimmy.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 11:14 (Ref:1451992)   #9
RedNine Racing
Racer

Australia
Adelaide,Australia
RedNine Racing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I actually started of not really liking Jimmy..But over time ive started to like the wiley ol bugga..lol

I kinda hope he continues on next year..As parabolica mentioned,DaMatta hasnt exactly showed him up..Either way he would add a lot of value in continuing and if he does hang up the helmut,he can look back on a great career in more ways than one.

Onya Jimbob

ROCK ON COURTNEY,FORD and SBR
ROCK ON FERRARI! n thanks 4 the memories Ruby,Schumi and bugga off Felipe
2007 F1 Champion Kimi Raikkonen
2007 MLB Champions Boston RedSox
Old 4 Nov 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1452011)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It'll be sad to see Jimmy go......great ambassador of Champcar and helped many to find their way more easily, including my avatar buddy to the left. Of course, he is a great driver and champion in his own right.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1452023)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure his strong form in 2005 is the main reason he hasn't publically confirmed his retirement yet, there must be value in him continuing based on the way he's outshone da Matta of late. Jimmy's done a lot for ChampCars over the years, even though he's rarely beaten team-mates of much note, and his championship was well-won and impressive throughout. At least he will still be involved in the sprot in a clear capacity.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1452066)   #12
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In essence, Jimmy won't be LEAVING. He's still going to the "V" in PKV.
He's taking the same steps that Andretti is in, so even though he won't be in the car, he's not leaving Champcar forever.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1452091)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
"I think this is probably going to be my last year but I'm going to sit down with my partners and we'll work things out. I don't want to take up a seat if somebody is faster but I also don't want to give it up if they can't beat me."
Which does make you wonder why he'd be thinking of giving it up. I reckon he's still pretty much as quick as anybody else you could put in the seat, and an awful lot more reliable in bringing it to the finish. Nice bloke, too.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1452128)   #14
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a nice read that was - thanks for posting it! He is indeed a credit to this series and it's been sure a pleasure for this member to watch him race and following some along his career path along the way.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 16:00 (Ref:1452145)   #15
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
okeefe has said it all, so I'll simply endorse his comments. Oh, and agree with what Jimmy said about Gil de Ferran. Two class acts who prove it is possible to be both that and a winner.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1452157)   #16
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Jimmy doesn't hang his gloves yet - there's plenty of racing in him and he's shown he can still mix it with the quick guys out there. He's a "name", as well... OK, so he won't be leaving altogether, but "driver" is not the same as "owner".
Old 4 Nov 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1452246)   #17
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never said that "driver" was the same as "owner", the point that i was trying to make was that everyone is making it seem like Jimmy is kissing the series goodbye, when he really isnt.
Driver and owner are indeed two separate things, and i wasn't trying to assume that they were.
However, we have seen a few driver/owner people racing...