Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jan 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3791196)   #176
insane014
Rookie

insane014 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
the guys at str (minardi) have a proven track record of really good chasis and great professionalism in working with tight budgets. honda, we all know the track record they have, and a friendlier, more free, less dicatorship-like relationship compared to the one they had with mclaren, could result in some indeed great steps in the right direcion.

the problem are ther drivers. gasly is not half bad, but wont be enough to carry the team, and hartley, im not sure what he is doing in f1. all in all it feels like a very promising package, of which the true potential could sadly be never seen.
Driver lineup is more of a concern than the actual engine. What's going on for them is that other two teams will suck in the driver department as well, both Sauber and Williams. There is a good chance TR will not finish dead last this year but forget about sticking it to McLaren. That's coming next year in Red Bull.
Old 7 Jan 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3791201)   #177
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane014 View Post
Driver lineup is more of a concern than the actual engine. What's going on for them is that other two teams will suck in the driver department as well, both Sauber and Williams. There is a good chance TR will not finish dead last this year but forget about sticking it to McLaren. That's coming next year in Red Bull.
i know people have mixed feelings about stroll,but i feel he would run a lap around the str guys any day of the week. sauber i agree have a pretty str-esque lineup, except that ericcson has a LOT of milage under his belt. if str and sauber can do a close battle for 9th place i would sign up for that actually
Old 8 Jan 2018, 19:43 (Ref:3791431)   #178
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
i know people have mixed feelings about stroll,but i feel he would run a lap around the str guys any day of the week. sauber i agree have a pretty str-esque lineup, except that ericcson has a LOT of milage under his belt. if str and sauber can do a close battle for 9th place i would sign up for that actually
The only reason Stroll did so well on ocassion last season was when the car suited the circuit! Nice lad but whoever is in the other car will hammer him.

Gasly and Hartley are right for STR. Both need to perform and are hungry. No experienced driver would go there to put up with Honda uncertainty.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 01:46 (Ref:3791464)   #179
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Stroll and Hartley were team mates at the 2016 Daytona 24 hours.
How did their times compare against one another?
Old 9 Jan 2018, 09:27 (Ref:3791504)   #180
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
STR with a Renault PU has been a solid midfield team. Next year McLaren is likely to jump into the top 10, and Renault (the team) will no doubt continue their progress. So the top 10 could be filled with Merc, Ferrari, RB, McLaren and Renault. Not much room for smaller privateers to score points. On top of that, STR's direct competitors will all be powered by 2018 Mercedes or Ferrari PUs. Honda need to make big improvements to get close enough. Add a bit underwhelming driver lineup to the mix, and it could be their worst season for years.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 09:45 (Ref:3791506)   #181
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
Add a bit underwhelming driver lineup to the mix, and it could be their worst season for years.
I think this is interesting - who are the next drivers up in the Red Bull scheme? I don't think Gasly or Hartley will be promoted to the senior team: Gasly isn't good enough. Hartley is too old and got the drive because presumably the conveyor belt of Red Bull drivers was empty, Hartley was available and they had his phone number.

I assume that's why Red Bull have kept hold of Sainz - if Ricciardo leaves the senior team neither of the current STR drivers looks up to the job of driving in the senior team and pushing Max.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 14:34 (Ref:3791545)   #182
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think they did well. Kyvat had blown his chance, while Gasly deserves a chance and Hartley will hopefully be a good benchmark for him
Old 9 Jan 2018, 16:03 (Ref:3791561)   #183
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think they did well. Kyvat had blown his chance, while Gasly deserves a chance and Hartley will hopefully be a good benchmark for him
Kvyat had certainly blown it - but the other two are questionable:

There did seem some reluctance to put Gasly in (he'd been tested before - if he was "the next Max" then he'd have started the season in the car rather than Kvyat).

Hartley was brought back from the dead - they'd looked at him in the past and decided he wasn't up to it. Presumably once they'd dropped Gasly into one seat they then didn't have anyone on the conveyor belt with the credentials to put in the other seat. So out comes the list of 'rejects' and hey presto Hartley is in the car (presumably Buemi was another option). I'm not saying Hartley is a bad driver - he just looks to be a stop gap solution.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 16:06 (Ref:3791562)   #184
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think Gasly’s problem was the same with most young drivers, not enough seats in F1
Old 9 Jan 2018, 16:19 (Ref:3791565)   #185
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think Gasly’s problem was the same with most young drivers, not enough seats in F1
Yes, most likely.

If there was 30 odd seats available he would have come straight in at the start of the season somewhere.

Young drivers hardly get the chance unless the big teams/schemes put them in somewhere these days. 25 years ago there were more seats available for a driver to come in and get noticed.

You can't do that without serious sponsorship.

People have been going on about Bob the Pole not getting a Williams with 9-10 million compared to Sirotkin's alleged 18 mill.

Hang on but this ain't new. Remember when Kobayashi dropped out of F1 4 years ago because his rumoured 11 mill wasn't enough to buy a drive?!!
Old 9 Jan 2018, 17:25 (Ref:3791582)   #186
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Stroll and Hartley were team mates at the 2016 Daytona 24 hours.
How did their times compare against one another?
i have no idea, always struggle to find a source that post laptimes but also the name of the current driver, usually they just go by the team. how were their laptimes then?
Old 9 Jan 2018, 18:35 (Ref:3791594)   #187
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Gasly is good but not game-changing. Hartley, given a second chance (rare in F1), might surprise.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 00:58 (Ref:3791640)   #188
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
i have no idea, always struggle to find a source that post laptimes but also the name of the current driver, usually they just go by the team. how were their laptimes then?
That is the frustration that I have found too, no individual driver's times.
One of the reasons I don't follow WEC.

This weekend at Daytona

Lance Stroll
Daniel Juncadella
Robin Frijns
Felix Rosenqvist

are all in one car. WE have never had a better chance to compare them.

WEC needs to take an average of the qualifying times of all the drivers in a car to get a grid slot.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 02:27 (Ref:3791651)   #189
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I can’t view it on my iPad to make sure it’s what you want, but look at the race CSV file here...

http://www.imsatiming.com/results/20...a%2024%20Hour/

I think it has lap and sector timing data for each car including who is in the car. Match that to weather data, etc and you can do some good data analysis.

I will say I found this article (a bit off topic regarding TR/Honda) which to me negatively impacts my opinion of Stroll.

https://www.motorsport.com/imsa/news...norris-973722/

Basically it sound like he treated his Daytona 24 ride as a fun day with the boys. Even if so, it seems a disservice to the team and his codrivers. If you participate... you race to win. I wonder if the data analysis shows him not as quick as his codrivers? To be honest, given Hartleys proto experience, he should be faster than Stroll. However... the Daytona cars are somewhat dinosaurs compared to what Hartley would be used to. So it might be a wash.

Richard
Old 10 Jan 2018, 02:35 (Ref:3791652)   #190
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

This weekend at Daytona

Lance Stroll
Daniel Juncadella
Robin Frijns
Felix Rosenqvist

WEC needs to take an average of the qualifying times of all the drivers in a car to get a grid slot.
Might find 2018 data here...

http://results.imsa.com/

Richard
Old 10 Jan 2018, 07:18 (Ref:3791668)   #191
wnut
Veteran

Looking at the above

Quali was Wurz with 2:08.639 (Wet?)

13 fastest laps Hartley with fastest on lap 716 at 1:40.1
14 th fastest lap Stroll on lap 670 at 1:40.6
17 th fastest lap Stroll on lap 665 at 1:40.6 (don't know how they were split)

71 st fastest lap Priaux on lap 539 at 1:41.1
84 th fastest lap Wurz on lap 574 at 1:41.2

In summary it looks like they were all driving to a delta of about 1:41 with traffic hampering from time to time. Last two stints where Hartley and Stroll seem to have been given a lower delta.
Timing does not seem to provide much info, on balance Hartley generally ran the fastest laps and Stroll was clearly not embarrassed in this company.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 07:52 (Ref:3791671)   #192
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

This weekend at Daytona

Lance Stroll
Daniel Juncadella
Robin Frijns
Felix Rosenqvist

Well, IMSA and WEC are two completely separate things. IMSA doesn't take average qualifying times, so Daytona won't.

Not necessarily a good weekend to compare drivers either. For the Euro teams, half the test is for understanding the Continental tyres. So they'll have been running different setups throughout.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 10 Jan 2018 at 07:57.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 08:27 (Ref:3791676)   #193
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Back to Toro Rosso HONDA, I've been pondering about the engine situation. Honda have already said that they may start the season with (what is basically) last years engine (OK, Power Unit) meaning that it must be fairly interchangeable with the 'newer' one.
I'm just wondering if, for comparison purposes they will rune one (reliable) specification in one car, and the supposedly more powerful (but less reliable) in the other car? That way, Toro Rosso can gain some chassis mileage whilst Honda can expose the latest engine to the stresses of racing?
Old 10 Jan 2018, 11:20 (Ref:3791697)   #194
S griffin
Veteran

Well the Honda engine was admittedly was getting more reliable towards the end of last season, so maybe they are using it while they make sure the new one is reliable enough
Old 12 Jan 2018, 04:59 (Ref:3792197)   #195
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Well Brendon Hartley will now be a tenth slower than he used to be. Next step is a kid, and then he'll be two tenths slower.

Hamilton, Alonso, Verstappen and Ricciardo still off that list - thankfully.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 04:48 (Ref:3793725)   #196
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Not a good start to the 2018 campaign for STR/Honda. They have fired their head of aero, at a very critical time. Have to wonder if it had anything to do with the Honda engine fitment to the chassis/aero package.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2018...at-toro-rosso/

Last edited by F1Guy; 19 Jan 2018 at 04:57. Reason: Added link
Old 19 Jan 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3793771)   #197
S griffin
Veteran

Well the question is who have they got to take his place?
Old 19 Jan 2018, 10:22 (Ref:3793774)   #198
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Well the question is who have they got to take his place?
From the blog:

Quote:
The word is that Gilhome will be replaced in his role by his deputy Ben Mallock, who has been with the team since 2012, having joined from Mercedes. He was a Red Bull aerodynamicist for four years before moving to Brawn GP early in 2009.
Old 20 Jan 2018, 23:46 (Ref:3794067)   #199
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Not a good start to the 2018 campaign for STR/Honda. They have fired their head of aero, at a very critical time. Have to wonder if it had anything to do with the Honda engine fitment to the chassis/aero package.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2018...at-toro-rosso/
Probably had the effrontery to tell Gunther how bad the Honda engine was to package compared to the Renault engine, probably the cooling requirements.
Old 21 Jan 2018, 04:11 (Ref:3794081)   #200
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Probably had the effrontery to tell Gunther how bad the Honda engine was to package compared to the Renault engine, probably the cooling requirements.
Not wishing to be pedantic but I think you might be confusing Team principals.
Franz Tost is the top man at Toro Rosso.
Gunther (Steiner) is team boss at Haas F1.