Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Jan 2002, 04:00 (Ref:197377)   #1
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Brock In Top 20

In the January 3rd edition of Autosport magazine Peter Brock has been named 14th most exciting Driver ever and the only Aussie on the list. He is ahead of names like Stirling Moss, Stefan Bellof and Juan Pablo Montoya. Oh by the way the most exciting driver of all time is of course Gille Villeneuve.
Old 12 Jan 2002, 06:41 (Ref:197434)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know if I would consider him to be all that exciting (Ray?), dominant maybe. I's say a bloke like Wakefield would be exciting...
Old 12 Jan 2002, 07:49 (Ref:197445)   #3
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crash,

Please... not more of this Wollongong Wiz stuff. This guy is known to his Mum, you and some other Queenslander, whose name know escapes me!

As for Brock, where is Brock's Spin Master? Que Ray Quick!
Old 12 Jan 2002, 10:29 (Ref:197469)   #4
bradstar
Rookie

bradstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your right crash that wakefield is an exciting driver to watch but I still dont think that he could come close to Brockie in his hey day for the edge of your pants driving that has rightly put peter in the top 20 I say go Brockie what an honor.
Old 12 Jan 2002, 22:04 (Ref:197662)   #5
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said Bradstar
How can anyone put Wakefield and Brock in the same sentance,
Brock could still run rings around him today

well done Peter, you are a LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember Brock racing at Baskerville with the drivers door hanging open on the B&D Auto's L34 for about 5 laps before pitting to have a belt put round it, He used that great one handed driving style using the other to try and hold the door shut.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 01:01 (Ref:197775)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yep I agree , brocky was very exciting to watch , just his character meant that he was great to watch , all the arm waving and the occasional explosion of rage in the pits was just brilliant.

thanks for the memories Peter
Old 13 Jan 2002, 07:59 (Ref:197846)   #7
knackaneal
Rookie

knackaneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brock would just jump in any car and adapt one of his 78 different driving styles to match the car and its current condition ... not like the engineer/drivers of today with their chassis tuning talents.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 10:50 (Ref:197892)   #8
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I never thought Brockie was exciting to watch, very impressive for sure, but I thought he was much to neat and tidy to be exciting.

As for all the Wakefield bashing, can anybody name an instance, ever, when someone even matched let alone beat Wayne in the same car?

Moff, my name escapes you? Gees mate, i'm hurt.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 11:30 (Ref:197920)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My sentiments exactly...

Is Brock in the same class as Villeneuve? In fact, are many people at all in the same class as him?
Old 13 Jan 2002, 18:46 (Ref:198121)   #10
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
As for all the Wakefield bashing, can anybody name an instance, ever, when someone even matched let alone beat Wayne in the same car?
Maybe not - but I have asked before, and still haven't had a reaosonable answer - if Wayne is all that good *why* doesn't he have a regular (note the word regular here) drive?

There has to be a reason behind not having that so-called 'elusive' contract/drive. What is it?
Old 13 Jan 2002, 20:19 (Ref:198176)   #11
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
I never thought Brockie was exciting to watch, very impressive for sure, but I thought he was much to neat and tidy to be exciting.
'gsactly! Man, he'd let the others get on with the excitement, Grice, Rogers, Moffat, Janson, even Perkins... his job was waltzing round the last lap with a new record time and taking the garlands!

Quote:
And a quote from RaceTime
Maybe not - but I have asked before, and still haven't had a reaosonable answer - if Wayne is all that good *why* doesn't he have a regular (note the word regular here) drive?

There has to be a reason behind not having that so-called 'elusive' contract/drive. What is it?
This is the guy of whom the Commodore Cup drivers said "how can he do that?" when he blitzed them in practice for his very first race with them... who was told "We're running for a championship here, just don't get in our way, let us get on with it..." and walked away thinking, "Yeah, and I paid for this drive and I should give up for your sakes? Right!"

Maybe it was small stakes, but in a class where races were usually won by a car's length, he pulled a hundred yards on the first lap and consolidated his lead from there... in a car that never won before, IIRC.

I believe Wayne has the talent and could have the marketability justify the opportunity, but what driver, on being asked his opinion by his team owner, is going to say "Yeah, he's great!" when the guy is clearly going to drive rings around him?

I'll bet that behind the scenes there is a lot of talk about how he's going to have a 'big one' one day... yet the record speaks for itself, it's not on his CV at all.

All that you find there is a bunch of miracle drives in cars that woundn't get halfway up the grid in most other hands.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 20:41 (Ref:198189)   #12
RaceTime
Veteran

Ray,

I don't dispute he has the talent - I have met him, talked to him and he is a very down to earth bloke.

But I still want to know *why*, with such an obvious talent, he hasn't been snapped up by a V8 team. What's the problem? Doesn't he want to drive for a team (I find that hard to believe), is he asking too much, is there an ego coming out during negotiations that isn't apparent anywhere else?

There has to be a reason for his 'non-appearance'.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 22:33 (Ref:198272)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I've said it before and I'llsay it again- it all comes down to money.

In 1998 he would have had the Ellery HYL drive, but he didn't have the money.

In 1999 he would have had the drive for Charles Ryman, but once the two freeby meetings finished, and money was asked of, he couldn't provide.

Same deal with John Trimbole in 1999- he was asked to provide $20,000 a sprint round- money that isn't there.

His first ever paid drive was at Bathurst last year, and he did less than 20 laps for the entire week.

There is apparently a chance that he could be running in a SBR car in the Konica series, but the asking price for that is $35,000 a round. Other than that, it looks like he might line up for the first round in his old VS, and the team will take it from there.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 22:58 (Ref:198293)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

That still isn't the answer. If he was a second rate driver with little or no talent then a pay-to-drive option could be cited as the reason.

However, he is NOT one of these and has a talent - enough that even if he DID have to pay for a drive, he *should* be able to get a sponsor - even for $35,000.

But he hasn't - why? Not trying to find a sponsor? I can't believe, for the sake of a discussion, that Briggs or SBR haven't considered him.

Yet he still doesn't have a drive - why not?
Old 13 Jan 2002, 23:12 (Ref:198302)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
He didn't drive a Formula Ford? It seems if you've driven one of those you're in.... except if your name is Will Power.

He's also been very unlucky with sponsors in the past. Graphic Skills has been the shining light- they've been fantastic, but the GST knocked the wind out of their sails like it did for most other companies. Ever wonder why his team had a special shade of green paint made especially for their car? Could a massive deal have fallen through?

Also remember that he has a rather large fan club that puts a fair bit of cash into his racing- how many other drivers can boast that?

Then there is always the team owners who are scared that he is going to blow up, implode, destroy their cars... yet they'd let some FFord drop kick go out there and do their equipment a massive disservice. WW can drive very smoothly and smartly- look at the Konica race at Lakeside this year- he was the smoothest out of all of the front runners, and that gave him to speed to stick it to the VTs in a car that dates back to 96/97.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 23:18 (Ref:198307)   #16
Ray Bell
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime
...But I still want to know *why*, with such an obvious talent, he hasn't been snapped up by a V8 team. What's the problem? Doesn't he want to drive for a team (I find that hard to believe), is he asking too much, is there an ego coming out during negotiations that isn't apparent anywhere else?

There has to be a reason for his 'non-appearance'.
Best I can come up with is the fear factor mentioned above... and I doubt that if a drive came up for no money he would knock it back... I don't think he's looking to make money out of racing at all.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 23:27 (Ref:198311)   #17
RaceTime
Veteran

He didn't have to drive a Formula Ford (or any other formula) to show talent.

This is my point - he *has* shown he has a talent to drive - but for whatever reason, no one who could has picked him up.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 23:36 (Ref:198315)   #18
Ray Bell
Veteran

But you agree that they should have?

They're missing out?
Old 13 Jan 2002, 23:45 (Ref:198319)   #19
RaceTime
Veteran

I've never said or disputed that he shouldn't have a drive.

What I am questioning, however, is *why* he doesn't have that drive. There has to be a more solid or deeper answer than 'he doesn't have the personal sponsorship'. That just doesn'y cut it, I'm sorry.

he has a talent but is being overlooked.

Is it Wayne? (I can't believe that to be honest)

Or is it the people around him? I've known more than one driver to have a career stuffed up because of the 'minders' that are supposedly 'looking after him'
Old 14 Jan 2002, 00:08 (Ref:198328)   #20
Ray Bell
Veteran

I think you've just hit the nail on the head... "he's not the only driver..."

Plenty of top drivers miss out on a drive, sink into oblivion...
Old 14 Jan 2002, 00:28 (Ref:198333)   #21
RaceTime
Veteran

Agreed - however, the majority of these other drivers don't have such an obvious driving talent.
Old 14 Jan 2002, 07:54 (Ref:198402)   #22
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
David Skillender (Graphic Skills) raced for many years, but has basically given up so that he could see Wayne drive his car in V8s, and Phil Laird is a genius- he has screwed together some fantastic cars before from scraps. So I don't think it is the people around him in that respect.

"He didn't have to drive a Formula Ford (or any other formula)to show talent."
- That's right, but if he went off and won FFord, Holden would have stuffed him into something bigger quick smart.

He scares a lot of team owners- gees, I must admit I've shat several bricks in my time at the kink at Lakeside. I'll never walking back along the bottom (on top of the concrete wall) of the hill on the inside of the track (on the outside of the kink) at the start of a private test session. Wayne was shaking down a brand spanking new car, and on his first flying lap through the kink, he came through with about 2 armfulls of lock- but he never ever blinked off the accelerator. I don't know if that is the sort of thing a Jeff Grech or Dick Johnson could cope with- but that is Wayne...
Old 14 Jan 2002, 10:03 (Ref:198434)   #23
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see Brock get a bit of international recognition.

I would have thought that Smokin' Jo Winkelhock should have been included.

And what about Yvan Muller...his sideways driving style is spectacular! Especially in uncompetitive cars.

But well done to Brock.