Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 25 Feb 2005, 23:05 (Ref:1236199)   #26
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well no comments from me, but that was alot of fun to watch anyway. Makes me pine for the fjords it does that...

appreciate the time to put it together and stick it up here. (an old middle-aged guy in snowy Canader)
Old 25 Feb 2005, 23:58 (Ref:1236245)   #27
GVK
Rookie

GVK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Mason
Hmmm. I'm bored so your lucky.

Overdriving big style from lead car in lap one hence massive time loosing cockups at Old hairpin, McCleans, Coppice and Chicane. Lines not a million miles off after but way too late turning into Redgate on first 2 laps then too agressive on last lap from camera car (hence early apex and slow exit), need to use the curbs substantially more on apex and exit and less road needed at Starkies. Better not even start on what you boys are doing at the chicane because you cannot afford that much info.

That will be £1000 for run down please. I take Visa or mastercard.
Crap then
Old 26 Feb 2005, 01:31 (Ref:1236308)   #28
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
about track days, seeing you guys brush off the 911 etc, are there a lot of complete wonker drivers on the track during track days? I've always been curious about if people toss themselves off into the grass or into armco regularly, and how do they match up car types/speed etc or is it simply a free for all, where you could be passed by someone much faster than you, or be blocked by some donk in a 911 that your grandmother could outdrive?

I assume that there are marshalls and safety people, ambulance, towtrucks etc just like during a race meeting?

As I've mentioned in the past, here in Canada, there are so few racetracks, and other than some motorcycle racing done 20 yrs ago, I have absolutely no knowledge of track days and how they are run, and always am envious of all the tracks that you can go to watch racing on or in fact get on yourselves.

cheers
Old 26 Feb 2005, 08:01 (Ref:1236395)   #29
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
djb, there are a lot of wonkers at track days and there are also a lot of people who take their everyday road cars with no mods on these days so I wouldn't read too much into the slower 911 in the video. He may also have been a novice driver as well.
There are marshals at these days but nowhere near as many as at a race meeting (there would probably be only about half a dozen at most around that track on that day). You normal get one ambulance with paramedic and the race circuits own tow truck in case of mishaps.
Track days are great fun but eventually you get bored with driving in an ordered manner and then succumb to the dreaded lure of going racing, that's when the expense starts.
Old 26 Feb 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1236570)   #30
GVK
Rookie

GVK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the Donington days we attend, they ask you to decide if you're novice/ inter or expert.

Sadly, no-one or at least not many of the people that attend these days likes to be classed as a novice, so the inter group get's very busy.

Now, if a novice is in a Lambosakirrari (enter your fav super car here) and someone that's a bit handy in a Mini race car we'll say for arguments sake, overall the mini might well be as quick around the circuit and catch the super car up.

What tends to happen next is the super car driver has an ego as big as his service bills and doesn't yeild to the mini on the straights. The rule of watching your mirrors and yeilding to faster cars ( not bhp, overall pace around the circuit) is explained in the breifing, but no-one seems to listen.

Can get very frustrating.
Old 26 Feb 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1236588)   #31
Alan
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK
Alan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well made clip - really enjoyed watching it.
Old 27 Feb 2005, 11:10 (Ref:1237137)   #32
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVK
What tends to happen next is the super car driver has an ego as big as his service bills and doesn't yeild to the mini on the straights. The rule of watching your mirrors and yeilding to faster cars ( not bhp, overall pace around the circuit) is explained in the breifing, but no-one seems to listen.

Can get very frustrating.
It's not just the supercars either, on the last trackdays I have done there have been numerous caterfield's & subaru's and the like that also do not, on one recent day I had 2 caterham's purposely letting the other caterham's through but pulling into my path to stop me, got fed up & drove around them after that, if they can ignore the rules then so can I.It's a real shame that these days aren't policed better