Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Sep 2007, 14:23 (Ref:2006127)   #26
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Patience

The organisers are still organising and we won't get anymore details until they get some go ahead from CAMS etc....patience is a virtue
Old 9 Sep 2007, 10:14 (Ref:2007393)   #27
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a recent racing meeting said that the organisers have changed a few categories...some are starting to get cold feet about going now.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 02:52 (Ref:2009000)   #28
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Group N Historic Touring Cars are very keen and will field two grids. Improved Production Touring Cars are even keener and will field two grids if they are allowed to do so.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 10:51 (Ref:2009215)   #29
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
The problem as I understand it is they have got to many classes...or promised to many classes grids and are now turning some classes away because they can't fit them on, obviously the existing FOSC ones will definately be on and IP cna hold their own...so what happens to the other classes?
Old 12 Sep 2007, 11:48 (Ref:2010086)   #30
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Thanks to Peter from FOSC we have this information...

"In relation to the catagories we hope to invite to Bathurst, we have never looked beyond those that we have invited to all our previous events and our next at Wakefield Park this October, details on www.fosc.com.au they are: group N, group S, marque sports, regularity & IPTC who are a new catagory replacing Supercarts. As far as the response from those catagories so far, we expect to be over subscibed and will run a reserve list for all catagories. The reserves will still get to practice Friday and qualify Saturday. We also expect to run more than 1 grid for most catagories.
Gp N (app J) has confirmed they will support our meeting and not BIMF, so rumours of catagories cooling of in regard to Fosc are not credible.
The philosophy we have had from the start is to run race meetings that provide max track time with minimum BS. To provide 5 races plus qualifying we need to keep the catagories to this minimum otherwise, like other race meetings, you only get 3 races and a lot of standing arround."
Old 21 Sep 2007, 12:33 (Ref:2019669)   #31
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Celebration Of Motor Sport Mt Panorama Easter 2008

“CAMS gives FoSC the green light!”

The organisers of the highly successful Shannon’s Festival of Sporting Cars series now have CAMS new event approval to hold a series of annual multi-club meetings at Mount Panorama – the Mecca of Australian motor racing – over Easter, commencing on 21st to 23rd March 2008.

The event will follow the successful format of current FoSC meetings – Historic Groups N and S, Marque Sports, Improved Production and Regularity.

The three-day event will see a variety of action both on and off track. Friday will be dedicated to private practice and driver training, with the FoSC Masters including champions such as John Leffler, Warren Weldon, Ray Gulson, Garry Wilmington, Spencer Martin, Mal Brewster and Bruce Stewart.

FoSC President, Mr Geoff Pike has also announced their long-time colleague and Master, Brian Lawler, has accepted the invitation to become FoSC Patron.

Brian Lawler
FoSC’s plans include a broad range of attractions and activities covering all forms of two and four-wheeled transport. “Given the timing, and the size of the venue, we will be making this a family friendly event,” Mr Pike said. “We’re working with long-time supporters, plus numerous other clubs and organisations to fill the area with displays and activities.”

Entries for FoSC’s upcoming meeting at Wakefield Park in October reflect the huge amount of interest and goodwill generated by the series to date. And the organisers report that Expressions of Interest lodged at their website indicate a groundswell of support from drivers, sponsors, officials and volunteers Australia wide.

ENQUIRIES AND EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST: www.fosc.com.au
Old 13 Oct 2007, 13:02 (Ref:2039208)   #32
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Post-Modern at the Mount?

Anyone read Graham Howards article in Auto Fiction about Easter Bathurst?? I have heard that he talks about the Bathurst Fosc events but says regularity will be for modern cars.....If this is so, I'm not impressed.

How sad would it be to have an Historic meeting but allow MX5's, Porsche's of the 90's era and even worse than that, Turbo Nissans etc competing with pre 1972 machinery??

By all means, have a sponsors day where they could all go nuts, but keep the Historic meeting as just that!!
Old 16 Oct 2007, 09:09 (Ref:2041433)   #33
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
oh&s

Interesting to read that FoSC is adopting OH&S rules similar to those of CAMS....

Also.."Over 500 expressions of interest for Easter Bathurst"

Old 16 Oct 2007, 09:41 (Ref:2041471)   #34
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
Anyone read Graham Howards article in Auto Fiction about Easter Bathurst?? I have heard that he talks about the Bathurst Fosc events but says regularity will be for modern cars.....If this is so, I'm not impressed.

How sad would it be to have an Historic meeting but allow MX5's, Porsche's of the 90's era and even worse than that, Turbo Nissans etc competing with pre 1972 machinery??

By all means, have a sponsors day where they could all go nuts, but keep the Historic meeting as just that!!
Is it even a historic meeting? There is Improved Production competing and the NSW Production Sports Cars supporting it so id say its a National race meet and not a National Historic...You have to remember that there are many who own late model Sports Cars (clubmans, cobra's, porkers etc.) who can afford to support the meeting. I know of a few Victorians who are looking to run in sports cars and certainly not Historic log booked cars. They have been to a FOSC event in the past, there are a few others running at the next FOSC meeting to and looking to go to Bathurst. Good on them I say, more racing throughout. Group S caters for the 40's through 70's, the 80's ownards is where Prod Sports/Marque Sports etc. comes in and they can compete in sports cars at Bathurst whilst the massive Group S grid competes like normal. Great Sports Car diversity...
Old 23 Oct 2007, 10:55 (Ref:2048884)   #35
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Wellllllllllll

Well..based on the roll-up at Wakefield Park, looks like Easter Bathurst will be well subscribed...good race meeting with (thankfully) no major incidents
Old 23 Oct 2007, 11:27 (Ref:2048919)   #36
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FoSC is not a historic race memeting, it's basically club racing with a historic flavour. I'm really looking forward to it and i expect that both Group N & ImProd will be capable of filling two grids each.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 02:19 (Ref:2049825)   #37
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullett
I had an idea, surely Group N will be involved in this and as they will need maximum grids surely an over 3 litre and under 3 litre field would be an idea. Down here in Vic we run over and under for the 2 big Historic meets (Sandown and PI) and there is always good fields. With quite a few Mazda RX2's and a few BMW 2002's coming on the unders field is very good, as always Toranas and Mustangs are popular to in the overs...any thoughts?
Havent missed PI historics since 2003 BUT my ONLY gripe is the pointless under/over 3 Litre GpN split.We WANT different cars racing each other.Just break it into faster cars / slower cars if the grids are too big.Oh and put lap records in the Program please.

Poor NSW will be lucky if grid sizes get to be a problem
Old 24 Oct 2007, 03:05 (Ref:2049833)   #38
Peter Nightingale
Racer

Australia
Australia
Peter Nightingale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
“CAMS gives FoSC the green light!”

The organisers of the highly successful Shannon’s Festival of Sporting Cars series now have CAMS new event approval to hold a series of annual multi-club meetings at Mount Panorama – the Mecca of Australian motor racing – over Easter, commencing on 21st to 23rd March 2008.

The event will follow the successful format of current FoSC meetings – Historic Groups N and S, Marque Sports, Improved Production and Regularity.

The three-day event will see a variety of action both on and off track. Friday will be dedicated to private practice and driver training, with the FoSC Masters including champions such as John Leffler, Warren Weldon, Ray Gulson, Garry Wilmington, Spencer Martin, Mal Brewster and Bruce Stewart.

FoSC President, Mr Geoff Pike has also announced their long-time colleague and Master, Brian Lawler, has accepted the invitation to become FoSC Patron.

Brian Lawler
FoSC’s plans include a broad range of attractions and activities covering all forms of two and four-wheeled transport. “Given the timing, and the size of the venue, we will be making this a family friendly event,” Mr Pike said. “We’re working with long-time supporters, plus numerous other clubs and organisations to fill the area with displays and activities.”

Entries for FoSC’s upcoming meeting at Wakefield Park in October reflect the huge amount of interest and goodwill generated by the series to date. And the organisers report that Expressions of Interest lodged at their website indicate a groundswell of support from drivers, sponsors, officials and volunteers Australia wide.

ENQUIRIES AND EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST: www.fosc.com.au
What about the new Group U, Historic Sports Sedans............
Old 24 Oct 2007, 08:46 (Ref:2049981)   #39
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny yuma
Havent missed PI historics since 2003 BUT my ONLY gripe is the pointless under/over 3 Litre GpN split.We WANT different cars racing each other.Just break it into faster cars / slower cars if the grids are too big.Oh and put lap records in the Program please.

Poor NSW will be lucky if grid sizes get to be a problem
Group N races at FoSC on the mountain will be split into a field of Nc & a field of Na/Nb.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 08:48 (Ref:2049982)   #40
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nightingale
What about the new Group U, Historic Sports Sedans............
I don't think there will be enough cars restored and issued with a C of D by then.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 07:59 (Ref:2066278)   #41
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia

Thursday, 8 November 2007

With over 800 expressions of interest by November 1, it will be a very difficult task selecting acceptances from entries …. they will be sent out very shortly. Some entrants will be bitterly disappointed for which we are already very sorry.

So let’s look at some reasons that will have no bearing on our selection of acceptances:

* But my car won the 1888 Spondangler GP in Turkistan
* But I have wanted to do Bathurst for 45 years
* But I have driven Bathurst 34 times in 20 years
* But I am your best friend
* But I am a legend in my own lunchtime
* But I am the President of the XXX club
* But I can bring you heaps and heaps of sponsors
* But I wrote the book on Bathurst
* But Mark Skaife is my teacher and/or brother and/or husband
* But my entry was on your desk one second after entries opened
* But my massive ego will be hurt beyond repair if I miss out
* But I am 93 and I won’t get another chance before the hearse arrives
* But I am the fastest driver in group XYZ

Get the message?

1. We will not be giving reasons for selection (CAMS Rules).
2. Please put yourself in our shoes:

o We must have the best meeting ever to confirm CAMS trust in us to “run the Mount”.
o Would you risk all future meetings on a driver you didn’t know?
o Would you throw away the chance of 10 years of club motor sport at the “Mount” by filling events with unknown drivers who could bend a car and/or themselves and destroy the following events for a couple of hundred drivers?

We are very aware of the future as well as this meeting, so bear with us please.

Motor sport is back at the Mountain and if not you next year, the one after maybe.

If you have a reference that may influence our decision, please attach it to your entry, but Hairy Bondoogogler from Mt Isa is not the best reference to be had!

What about Regularity with 200 expressions of interest received at 1 st November?

Quite obviously we cannot accept all of them and we must be sure we accept drivers who are capable of handling multi-car events (not three or four cars only), differing speeds and not fall foul of red-mist. This is very strictly a regularity trial and drivers will be sent home immediately if they treat the event as a race!

The CAMS L2S is the basic starting point and then driver experience kicks in for acceptance.

Letting loose a car on the Mountain with a driver who has never run in a group a cars - fast – is only asking for trouble. And that trouble would spell the end of Regularity on the Mountain and not one of us wants that.

So if you can demonstrate your ability to drive well and safely on a busy circuit, let us know.

References as with drivers in races could improve your chances if the reference is of value and from a person known to our team which includes the FoSC Masters.

There will be no-passing zones in Regularity but overtaking will occur elsewhere and drivers inexperienced in such movements on a circuit place the whole event together with all the competitors at great risk – so understand if you do not appear to qualify for the meeting please.

There is always the next year, by when you will have proven beyond doubt you are very capable!
Old 13 Nov 2007, 08:04 (Ref:2066282)   #42
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seems 'firm but fair' to me! Very best of luck with this event!
Old 15 Nov 2007, 11:03 (Ref:2067907)   #43
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having driven around the track (only in a road car, it is a public road after all) I can understand the caution!
Old 5 Dec 2007, 06:56 (Ref:2081832)   #44
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
I'm a little confused....

I'm a little confused....the minimum of info trickling through on the FoSC site, no emails for regular FoSC officials so far, then I read this in a CAMS Newsletter:

Maybe the organisers don't need NSW officials???

Ever wanted to officiate at Bathurst?

How about next Easter...21st – 23rd of March 2008? The Festival of Sporting Cars is running the 'Celebration of Motor Sport at Bathurst and we'd love you to come!

We conduct exciting competition for Historic Sports and Touring Cars, Marque and Production Sports Cars, Improved Production Cars and some wonderful Regularities.

Before entries opened, we had over 900 expressions of interest and we will have over 400 competition cars at the Mountain over Easter. We've also invited hundreds of display cars from country car clubs, and boy, do they have some rare machinery!

"Oh", I hear you mutter, "busy time in Melbourne...flat out for weeks...and the family, you know". Well, why not bring your family to Bathurst and make a holiday of it while the partners and kids enjoy a VIP room all weekend, relax and a take a few tours to vineyards, sheep shearing or sightseeing.

We are arranging subsidised coach fares from Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane if the numbers warrant it, and we have some great accommodation for officials for as little as $12 a night. Or you may like to camp at the track – free of course.

We have all the amenities now and we will be making your trip memorable – with a party or two. We look for better ways to do everything, so a display car will take you to your flag point. No waiting for a bus or truck, but personal service for you, and a lap of Bathurst for the display car! We'll even have a MASH tent, like the TV show's mess tent, where everyone meets for breakfast and after play for a drop or two; somewhere to chill out or chat and follow some action. After all, you're meant to enjoy giving your time – volunteering that is – so the whole meeting can function.

So why not satisfy a dream? Return to the Mountain and have fun working at the best track in Australia – where the first wheel turned in anger over 70 years ago on the dirt track that is Mount Panorama. If you'd like to combine some pleasure with your passion, email charles@fosc.com.au or send us a fax or a call on (02) 9907 0136 and we can have a great weekend together.