Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 30 May 2011, 15:53 (Ref:2888259)   #1
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Does motogp have any iconic circuits?

As they're about to grace Gordon Streeter for visit #3 of 4, I was just wondering this, F1 seems to have Spa, Suzuka, Monza, Monaco, but MotoGP doesn't seem to have any circuits with a singularly peculiar layout, length or location?

You could argue Assen due to duration, but for the number of SBK/500/MotoGP races I've watched I struggle to remember what's there other than cambered corners and grass. PI has seagulls, cold, gardner straight, southern loop, siberia, but I'd discount it out of inherent bias.

Bike racing as a whole probably has/had;
IoM TT (long since fallen off the Calendar)
old Hockenheim (bulldozed)
Brands Hatch (maybe, but MotoGP don't visit anyway)

So I guess the possible arguments are:
a) They never did anyway (except IoM).
b) You forgot Catalunya? !*******os
c) They discarded them in place of circuits which favour racing, unlike their four-wheeled counterparts.
Old 30 May 2011, 19:12 (Ref:2888351)   #2
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Assen was and probably still is sort of . ..
Mugello certainly

Ciao Marco
Old 31 May 2011, 16:57 (Ref:2888855)   #3
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mugello!

Well no national bias here, so I'd add Phillip Island. Just dauntingly fast and brilliant location.

Too bad we don't get GP at Monza...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGG View Post
As they're about to grace Gordon Streeter for visit #3 of 4, I was just wondering this, F1 seems to have Spa, Suzuka, Monza, Monaco, but MotoGP doesn't seem to have any circuits with a singularly peculiar layout, length or location?
Maybe this is bias, but I could argue that Laguna Seca meets the peculiar layout criteria.
Old 31 May 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2889052)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Laguna I find quite dull actually!

Jerez is a GP icon, as is Mugello.

Olderones for me are Sachsenring, Rijeka and Brno.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 13:36 (Ref:2889395)   #5
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Monza!
It was this race I was trying to remember in this thread.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2889596)   #6
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well .. you did say motogp ..
unfortunately i never saw a motogp race at monza in live transmission ..
WSS from monza 2009 was great too .. i frequently watch it while i go to sleep

Ciao Marco
Old 1 Jun 2011, 21:44 (Ref:2889664)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
According to Wikipedia, the most important track is Assen. Other sources (Argentine magazines...) confirm this.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 22:25 (Ref:2889680)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Although I wont be there (as I am in the UK at the moment) Catalunya (Montmelo) is a pretty good circuit to race on and spectate.
It's fast and hard on tyres and I notice that Dunlop are using a new "dual compound" tyre this weekend.
Personally I think it's one of the better tracks for MotoGP, but I would say that

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 1 Jun 2011 at 22:31.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Jun 2011, 04:29 (Ref:2889750)   #9
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suzuka could have made a case for this.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 05:35 (Ref:2889759)   #10
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Suzuka was it to me until it became axed in the aftermath of Daijiro Katos fatal accident there

It still is on the WEC schedule for the 8 hours though

Last edited by Andy77; 2 Jun 2011 at 05:55.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 06:11 (Ref:2889769)   #11
Andy77
Veteran

To me, even Assen lost its iconic status when it was shortened and partly changed in 2006. Something that makes a circuit iconic to me is the fact that its layout remained more or less unchanged through times. A couple examples have been called above already with Monza, Suzuka, Brands Hatch.

I am afraid I don't count Mugello as an iconic circuit either because it only has an ongoing slot in the schedule since 1991. Before it was an alternating venue with a race every couple years only.

To me there are just some contenders that might become an iconic circuit to the series in time but I don't see an iconic circuit yet
Old 2 Jun 2011, 06:54 (Ref:2889774)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
An iconic circuit to me either provides good racing or is a very different layout. Or is very challenging to the riders.

So as I say, Sachsenring, Rijeka, Spa, Imatra!! old Assen, I, Andy and Valentino agree that Assen was ruined a few years ago. Monza is a boring track now with TCl was superb in early WSB years. Misano has been ruined, Mugello is great but not that exciting layout wise.

Old Silverstone, old Heockenheim? Great racing, awful place!
Old 2 Jun 2011, 07:26 (Ref:2889784)   #13
Andy77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
An iconic circuit to me either provides good racing or is a very different layout. Or is very challenging to the riders.

So as I say, Sachsenring, Rijeka, Spa, Imatra!! old Assen, I, Andy and Valentino agree that Assen was ruined a few years ago. Monza is a boring track now with TCl was superb in early WSB years. Misano has been ruined, Mugello is great but not that exciting layout wise.

Old Silverstone, old Heockenheim? Great racing, awful place!
Old Hockenheim wasn't awful. Today it is !