Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 9 May 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1296562)   #1
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where can I hire a prime lens from?

Just wondering if anybody knows or can recommend some where that I can hire a prime lens from for my D70.
I live in North Wales approx 20 miles from Chester, 25 miles from Shrewsbury, I've looked in local yellow pages etc and on the net but nothing found.
I would like to take one to Le Mans, so spend a good week playing with it.
Any help would be great thanks
Old 9 May 2005, 12:50 (Ref:1296591)   #2
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Paul, http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....9&postcount=22.

Basically it is not worth it. It's best to save up and get either a new/used prime lens. Don't bother getting any manual lenses as it simply does not work properly (due to focusing, metering & exposure issues) with the D70. A few of us here are interested in getting th Nikkor AF-S F/4 300MM for about £850. This lens is around £600 if getting it from the US/HK but you might get hassled with the customs.
Old 9 May 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1296641)   #3
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
Ok thanks Terry, I would of thought it could have been a cheap option other than shelling out a lot of money for my own prime.
Oh well I'll have to stick with my zoom lens for now
Old 9 May 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1296644)   #4
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
Quote:
Originally Posted by egor
Ok thanks Terry, I would of thought it could have been a cheap option other than shelling out a lot of money for my own prime.
Oh well I'll have to stick with my zoom lens for now
Unfortunately, there isn't really a "cheap" option if you're serious about photography. You do generally get what you pay for. Why don't you consider getting a cheap & cheerful teleconverter for now? Most (Kenko, Jessops..etc <£100) are ok if you choose to use manual focus.
Old 9 May 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1296658)   #5
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
I was'nt going the prime route to get closer to the subject, just to get better glass in the lens.
I use a 70 - 300mm at the moment, with the focal conversion of the D70 I find it close enough not to warrant a teleconverter.
But having said that I have been looking at the Nikon teleconverters.
Old 9 May 2005, 14:08 (Ref:1296668)   #6
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
Quote:
Originally Posted by egor
I was'nt going the prime route to get closer to the subject, just to get better glass in the lens.
I use a 70 - 300mm at the moment, with the focal conversion of the D70 I find it close enough not to warrant a teleconverter.
But having said that I have been looking at the Nikon teleconverters.
Count yourself lucky as I'm really struggling with my trusty 80-200mm and can do with both a qualtity TC + a decent 300/400mm prime lens. As you know, the Nikon TCs are fairly expensive and will only work with AF-S lenses.
Old 9 May 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1296672)   #7
PaulCherry
Racer

PaulCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depending on the size of the prime that you are interested in using the rental prices can range from £150 to £225 (+ insurance & VAT) for a weeks rental. That's for AFS primes 300 to 600. A 300 F4 is in the region of £20 per day or £80 pw (+ i & VAT). I know this info is not worth much if you cannot find anywhere local to rent from. Plus there may be extra insurance required as you intend taking the lens overseas. Do not forget that you would need to leave a deposit on the lens normally equal to the cost which would mean having a very large credit limit on your credit card which they then restrict.
Old 9 May 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1296677)   #8
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
I was at Oulton last week for the Superbikes and you can get quite close from the public areas, but Le Mans will be a different kettle of fish I think, and I'll probably wish that I had a teleconverter with me!!!!
Old 9 May 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1296774)   #9
SeaneyC
Racer

SeaneyC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you're after better glass, you may miss the flexibility of a zoom with a long prime. Perhaps a small step up would be a good investment? I purchased the Sigma 100-300 F4 lens, brilliant piece of glass, and will still autofocus with a 1.4 teleconverter on it. Cost me less than £400 on ebay, used, but in completely mint condition (I actually asked the guy if he had ever used it, it was as new!) Sigma also do a nice 120-300 F2.8 lens, but i don't have the money for that one (runs to about £1100 new) Then again, i don't know what the Sigmas are like in Nikon fit, but the 100-300 i have is brilliant on my recently aquired Canon 1Dmk1, super sharp, and no back/front focussing issues.
Old 9 May 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1296788)   #10
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC
According to Paul, http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....9&postcount=22.

Basically it is not worth it. It's best to save up and get either a new/used prime lens. Don't bother getting any manual lenses as it simply does not work properly (due to focusing, metering & exposure issues) with the D70.
i think the writer is saying "don't bother" not because manual lenses on digital bodies don't work properly, rather you might actually have to focus and expose the images yourself...difficult i'll agree with old film bodies without a screen on the back, at a fast moving sport like football...but digital bodies at motor-racing?