Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Feb 2019, 03:30 (Ref:3882556)   #201
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
This amuses me, what qualification do you have to call the cars junk?

Self taught junk spotter....

Junk is a harsh word, but reality is consumers have very little interest in what's sitting in a Holden showroom at the moment.
Bar the Colarado and even that gets pants by Hilux/Ranger and the cheap as chips Triton. Everything else is either uninspiring, or another brand has a better mouse trap.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 8 Feb 2019, 06:46 (Ref:3882562)   #202
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Triple 8 to depart supercars then?
Old 8 Feb 2019, 07:25 (Ref:3882569)   #203
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Triple 8 to depart supercars then?
You would imagine that Mr Dane wouldnt have too much trouble rustling up another manufacturer... how about going to Ford and showing the 888 record in the series and levering the factory Ford funding from DJRTP and Tickford?

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Feb 2019, 08:07 (Ref:3882572)   #204
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
You would imagine that Mr Dane wouldnt have too much trouble rustling up another manufacturer... how about going to Ford and showing the 888 record in the series and levering the factory Ford funding from DJRTP and Tickford?

The existing Ford teams had enough trouble getting any Ford funding so I can't see them splurging on Triple 8, especially after they separated on less than amicable terms in the not so distant past.
Old 8 Feb 2019, 08:36 (Ref:3882575)   #205
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully Mr Dane will be on a bended knee when Ford politely tell him no.
Old 8 Feb 2019, 09:08 (Ref:3882582)   #206
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Hopefully Mr Dane will be on a bended knee when Ford politely tell him no.
Is it going to be case of Ford being the last marque standing when they turn the lights out?

GT4 here we come???
Old 8 Feb 2019, 09:14 (Ref:3882583)   #207
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GT4 won't be the answer.
Old 8 Feb 2019, 09:33 (Ref:3882587)   #208
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Self taught junk spotter....

Junk is a harsh word, but reality is consumers have very little interest in what's sitting in a Holden showroom at the moment.
They had very little interest in what wore a Holden badge prior to the shutting of domestic manufacture either. The proof of that is no more domestic made Holdens.
Old 8 Feb 2019, 10:01 (Ref:3882589)   #209
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The banning of diesel in many European countries will also shape that conversation.

The Koreans and Chinese have trialled many paths, including a relatively long standing technology in LPG. LPG was a staple for taxi fleets here for 30+ years, and as they switched to hybrids, the fuel source got replaced.. I was in a cab the other day that was Hybrid/Electric/Petrol/LPG.. a Camry.. where even though the fuel use from petrol/LPG is much smaller than the relatively guzzling Falcons of not so long ago, the price differential on the fuel, the new tech on the fuel delivery/injection, and how much cheaper conversion is now (sub $3000 from a Direct OEM-supported Centre Of Excellence) makes a compelling case to relook at the technology.

Other markets in the world are re-embracing LPG, including the US, where massive work in underway by the likes of Caterpillar and Cummins to develop clean Mid size truck & bus engines, and stationary power generation engines, for world markets.

Diesel is dying... what are we going to replace it with?
Diesels in trucks, that is easy on local or main linehaul routes such as the East Coast or mid west highways, Adelaide to Melbourne etc. I think it will be full electric with the occassional length of highway with overhead gantry that the trucks run under and "refuel" without stopping. Remote heavy haul work in this country and others such as Africa or even the more remote areas of any country is going to be diesel and a remote chance of Hydrogen getting the gig but the jury is still out on that one. Toyota, Hino et al are already onto the local light delivery side of things and the first ones can't be that far off.

Bosch are on record as saying they can clean up the light car diesel even more and we may have seen the first of that in the initial WLTP round of emission testing. That testing has certainly slimmed down the car model range world wide due to the requirement of every variation needing certification. Looking forward the diesel is most probably realistically dead in light vehicles for most markets. I doubt the Chinese would let you sell a diesel car in their market for any amount of money.

People in general in Oz have a very poor understanding of what is going to happen in the next few years and what has already happened especially in China. I learnt the other day that China has 325,000 electric buses and more being added every day to totally electrify their fleet, how many has Australia got?

All the critics say they love their IC vehicle and I do also but I have never seen anyone drive an electric car and not rave about it and want to buy one. Chris Harris was one of those until he drove a Tesla and absolutely raved about it.

As far as I am aware the US never embraced LPG in the manner that Australia did nor did many other countries for cars.
Old 8 Feb 2019, 15:31 (Ref:3882645)   #210
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Bosch are on record as saying they can clean up the light car diesel even more and we may have seen the first of that in the initial WLTP round of emission testing. That testing has certainly slimmed down the car model range world wide due to the requirement of every variation needing certification. Looking forward the diesel is most probably realistically dead in light vehicles for most markets. I doubt the Chinese would let you sell a diesel car in their market for any amount of money.
Kinda amusing seeing that Bosch were behind everyone's dirty diesels in the first place.
Old 9 Feb 2019, 00:12 (Ref:3882724)   #211
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
GT4 won't be the answer.
The first question that never seems to get asked or answered is does the category want to be manufacturer dependent or not?

Until that is answered I don't see how Supercars can consider moving to any set of regulations.
Old 9 Feb 2019, 12:54 (Ref:3882794)   #212
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
The first question that never seems to get asked or answered is does the category want to be manufacturer dependent or not?

Until that is answered I don't see how Supercars can consider moving to any set of regulations.
It will be interesting to see what happens as class racing seems to be unfashionable these days. A domestic series based on cars sold here would seem to be a very hard road to go down now that the dust has settled on manufacturing in this country. Maybe SC will just whither and die over the next few years but that seems unlikely given the money wrapped up in it and Foxtel will be properly P'd off if that happened. Honestly I can't see where it can go but maybe others might have ideas on that as there is simply no obvious path such as they have/had.
Old 10 Feb 2019, 00:28 (Ref:3882870)   #213
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, they have a couple of options already, with GT3/4 and SF5000.

The 'Mustang' SC will be the real litmus test - how the Falcon fans transfer (or not). It is 'still' a Ford, but the Camaro is not a 'Holden', that will be a bigger ask, not impossible if the Holden fans want to latch on to something that is not a Ford.

Interesting times.
Old 10 Feb 2019, 09:44 (Ref:3882911)   #214
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
They had very little interest in what wore a Holden badge prior to the shutting of domestic manufacture either.
"How hard can it be" to produce cars with the reputation of Toyota?

If only Holden and GMC and Chevrolet and Buick and Pontiac and Saturn and Opel and Vauxhall and Cadillac had made world leading 4WDs, had made world leading utilities, had made flawless luxury cars for America's elite, etc over an extended period they to would be in Toyota's position (albeit substituting luxury cars for America's elite instead of luxury cars for Japan's elite).

Unfortunately, one may argue Holden and General Motors (and Ford and Dodge) were only interested in short term profits, not in building their long term reputation. Here: Scotty Kilmer makes the argument of American auto makers putting short-term profit before long-term reputation... Meanwhile, Kilmer gets stuck into GM for their job cuts...
Old 10 Feb 2019, 23:25 (Ref:3883061)   #215
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see that in vehicle sales for January 2019 the Holden Commodore sold only 403 units for the whole month. That's right ONLY 403.....

This begs two questions:
How long will GM support racing with such lousy sales?

Involvement in racing no longer appears to promote sales?

For info the top selling vehicle in January was the Toyota HiLux with 3,951 units......
Old 10 Feb 2019, 23:32 (Ref:3883066)   #216
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Astra and Colorado are carrying the brand.
Old 11 Feb 2019, 04:20 (Ref:3883100)   #217
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I see that in vehicle sales for January 2019 the Holden Commodore sold only 403 units for the whole month. That's right ONLY 403.....

This begs two questions:
How long will GM support racing with such lousy sales?

Involvement in racing no longer appears to promote sales?

For info the top selling vehicle in January was the Toyota HiLux with 3,951 units......
HiLux isn't what it used to be, they're made in Thailand now, Isuzu is the way to go these days.
Old 11 Feb 2019, 04:42 (Ref:3883105)   #218
Driver TBA
Veteran

Quote:
HiLux isn't what it used to be, they're made in Thailand now, Isuzu is the way to go these days.
My 2000 Hilux was Thai built, so nothing new.

The Dmax/Mux has built a reputation for reliability since their release 6 years ago. I purchased an LSU Dmax based on that, 8 months ago. Back to back driving of the Ranger and Hilux the Isuzu falls well short sadly.

Old 11 Feb 2019, 09:17 (Ref:3883146)   #219
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
My 2000 Hilux was Thai built, so nothing new.

The Dmax/Mux has built a reputation for reliability since their release 6 years ago. I purchased an LSU Dmax based on that, 8 months ago. Back to back driving of the Ranger and Hilux the Isuzu falls well short sadly.

My mates HiLux needed new discs after 2 years (at his expense), Ranger/BT50 have well known auto transmission failures..........it doesn't matter how good they are on the road if they are not going.

"To finish first, first you have to finish!"
Old 11 Feb 2019, 09:35 (Ref:3883148)   #220
Driver TBA
Veteran

Quote:
My mates HiLux needed new discs after 2 years (at his expense), Ranger/BT50 have well known auto transmission failures..........it doesn't matter how good they are on the road if they are not going.

"To finish first, first you have to finish!"
At least the autos are slightly cheaper to replace than an engine that's kicked a leg. The lucky owners that escape engine or auto dramas just get ongoing electrical issues....

The Hilux seems okayish other than recent DPF dramas, which is generally short trip related. It's just the ridiculous price tag and up until a month ago. A crap warranty length.

Old 11 Feb 2019, 17:27 (Ref:3883299)   #221
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I reckon that is the sum total of Altima sales, and at least Holden has other stuff to sell!
Old 12 Feb 2019, 08:07 (Ref:3883459)   #222
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Well, they have a couple of options already, with GT3/4 and SF5000.

The 'Mustang' SC will be the real litmus test - how the Falcon fans transfer (or not). It is 'still' a Ford, but the Camaro is not a 'Holden', that will be a bigger ask, not impossible if the Holden fans want to latch on to something that is not a Ford.

Interesting times.
I am never adamant about many things but I am damned sure SF5000 is not going to get the gig. One huge factor in that is the cars are not big enough to support a lot of sponsors signs and if there is another sure thing about motor racing it is a business that needs a bill board to display sponsors who support it.
Old 12 Feb 2019, 08:37 (Ref:3883468)   #223
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The RHD Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, Holden Colorado, Nissan Navara, Isuzu D-Max and Mitsubishi Triton are all made in Thailand, and have been for some time now. Basically all of the RHD pickups are. I believe the new RHD Mercedes pickup is/or will also be made in Thailand.

I drive past thousands of them on the backs of trucks headed to the port in Chonburi when I'm over there.
Old 12 Feb 2019, 09:46 (Ref:3883483)   #224
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
The RHD Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, Holden Colorado, Nissan Navara, Isuzu D-Max and Mitsubishi Triton are all made in Thailand, and have been for some time now. Basically all of the RHD pickups are. I believe the new RHD Mercedes pickup is/or will also be made in Thailand.

I drive past thousands of them on the backs of trucks headed to the port in Chonburi when I'm over there.
I was lucky then, I must have one of the last Japanese built MU-X.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 05:21 (Ref:3884297)   #225
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I am never adamant about many things but I am damned sure SF5000 is not going to get the gig. One huge factor in that is the cars are not big enough to support a lot of sponsors signs
They are about the same size as Formula One or Indycar cars, which do just fine at commanding prices for stickers on cars!

SF5000, offering lower costs than Supercars and great performance, has potential as a rival premier category...