Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Feb 2019, 08:33 (Ref:3886680)   #176
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The increased height of the front wing is supposed to lead to less stall, possibly helping the overtaking car, while just two strakes either side are said to send more airflow underneath the car, leading to less of a wake for the following car.

We haven't got much of an idea yet about how easy it is to follow another car. Some drivers have tried it, but I personally haven't seen their comments.

Ferrari have both Vettel and Leclerc out today, Vettel taking over in the afternoon. Hamilton's now out on the C4 for the first time. They seem to be backing out of setting fast laps, though.
Old 26 Feb 2019, 10:07 (Ref:3886706)   #177
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
The increased height of the front wing is supposed to lead to less stall, possibly helping the overtaking car, while just two strakes either side are said to send more airflow underneath the car, leading to less of a wake for the following car.

We haven't got much of an idea yet about how easy it is to follow another car.
Mercedes discuss it here -

https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/mer...t-for-in-2019/

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 26 Feb 2019 at 13:30. Reason: Made URL into active link.
Old 26 Feb 2019, 16:26 (Ref:3886799)   #178
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
speaking of Merc... looks like they have already brought out what seems to be a fairly substantial aero upgrade for the second test. new front wing, new nose, plus a bunch of new fins/wiglets.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...e-w10/4343980/

apparently this was a planned update which just leaves me astonished by their development pace. i havent looked at the times today yet, but it wouldnt surprise me to see Merc once again ignoring the softer compounds and hiding their true pace.

wishful thinking on my part but i hope the update really means they have messed up somewhere and are unsure about the best way forward.

side note but its ridiculous that in testing they use the proper names for the tires (C1 to C5) but for the races they will just call whatever three compounds they decide to bring hard, medium, and soft regardless of their actual designation (its so ridiculous i doubt what i just typed even made sense!).

was a unified colour code really that difficult for people?
Old 26 Feb 2019, 16:59 (Ref:3886810)   #179
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
speaking of Merc... looks like they have already brought out what seems to be a fairly substantial aero upgrade for the second test. new front wing, new nose, plus a bunch of new fins/wiglets.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...e-w10/4343980/

apparently this was a planned update which just leaves me astonished by their development pace. i havent looked at the times today yet, but it wouldnt surprise me to see Merc once again ignoring the softer compounds and hiding their true pace.

wishful thinking on my part but i hope the update really means they have messed up somewhere and are unsure about the best way forward.

side note but its ridiculous that in testing they use the proper names for the tires (C1 to C5) but for the races they will just call whatever three compounds they decide to bring hard, medium, and soft regardless of their actual designation (its so ridiculous i doubt what i just typed even made sense!).

was a unified colour code really that difficult for people?
In my link above, James Vowles suggests it was a bit difficult.

"They will remain those colours throughout the season. Previously, with six tyre colours, it could be slightly confusing for people at home, so maintaining the same colours and names every weekend should make it easier for everyone."

I think the upgrades are planned, and Merc are entering into a bit of 'trolling' with the upgrade - '83 laps this morning for Lewis Hamilton and W10! Spot anything new? 👀🤔'
Old 26 Feb 2019, 17:09 (Ref:3886813)   #180
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's a video that explains the changes Mercedes have made but I can't get it to play.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/141763
Old 26 Feb 2019, 17:14 (Ref:3886814)   #181
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Video can also be found here...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/video/...lained/440700/
Old 26 Feb 2019, 19:35 (Ref:3886881)   #182
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
119 laps for Williams.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/02/26/...ting-day-five/

the site also claimed that Russell's best time (C5 low fuel run) was faster then their best time set last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_S...rix#Qualifying

checks out! 1’19.662 today vs 1:19.695 by Sirotkin in quali last year.

just testing and no doubt down to a softer tire compound but surely this and the lap total is something that Williams can be happy about.

solid day for Mclaren as well!

Alonso was also in the building today....let the 2020 silly season thread rumours begin lol!

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial?ref_...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Old 26 Feb 2019, 21:02 (Ref:3886905)   #183
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
119 laps for Williams.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/02/26/...ting-day-five/

the site also claimed that Russell's best time (C5 low fuel run) was faster then their best time set last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_S...rix#Qualifying

checks out! 1’19.662 today vs 1:19.695 by Sirotkin in quali last year.
All good fun but you can’t compare BCN laptimes Feb-May as they always differ massively.
Old 27 Feb 2019, 05:25 (Ref:3886974)   #184
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One source only but this is encouraging

Magnussen said he followed the other car for one and a half laps, and said the main impression he had was that his car was much less unpredictable.
“The whole car just feels more consistent and stable behind another car,” he said. “So I am looking forward to see if other tracks are the same.
“There are always different factors that you might have overlooked, so you come to another track and it might be different, but the first signs are good I would say in this following aspect.”

Hope that the journo's at Barcelona ask other drivers about their impressions.
Old 27 Feb 2019, 07:40 (Ref:3886989)   #185
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mercedes seems to have started the "oh we are so far behind, it is such a difficult uphill battle" very early this year. The last two years they at least waited until the points situation gave them some credibility.

I wonder whether all that whining is to release some more funds from the HQ.
Old 27 Feb 2019, 12:54 (Ref:3887069)   #186
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have McLaren lost the scrip?

Being fastest was only in the Enid Blyton draft....
Old 27 Feb 2019, 14:47 (Ref:3887087)   #187
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I see Vettel has binned the Ferrari pretty comprehensively after going straight into the barriers at T3 after an alleged car issue. Lengthy Red flag and a lot of work before the car returns to the track.
Old 27 Feb 2019, 15:22 (Ref:3887089)   #188
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
courtesy of someone on reddit, a distant shot of SV's off.

https://streamable.com/193rq

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/co...vettels_crash/

if this session was being broadcast there would be better footage...funny how quickly you get used to something/liberty is the worst!
Old 27 Feb 2019, 16:01 (Ref:3887096)   #189
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

if this session was being broadcast there would be better footage...funny how quickly you get used to something/liberty is the worst!
He would most likely have been head on the to low camera in Turn 3 that had been used to look back down the hill during the first test.
Old 27 Feb 2019, 18:06 (Ref:3887107)   #190
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
courtesy of someone on reddit, a distant shot of SV's off.

https://streamable.com/193rq

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/co...vettels_crash/

That does look very much like a car failure.
Old 27 Feb 2019, 18:31 (Ref:3887114)   #191
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Something certainly looked odd about the Vettel incident. As he was about halfway around the right-hander, there appeared to be a big puff of what looked like white smoke from the left hand front wheel area. I think it highly unlikely that Vettel would have been braking that hard that far into the corner to have caused a lock-up, and anyway, I would have expected the right front wheel to have locked up first as it would have been considerably unburdened (sorry, that's not the right word - what passes for my brain is not computing at this moment) and not the left front.
Old 27 Feb 2019, 18:38 (Ref:3887116)   #192
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Something certainly looked odd about the Vettel incident. As he was about halfway around the right-hander, there appeared to be a big puff of what looked like white smoke from the left hand front wheel area. I think it highly unlikely that Vettel would have been braking that hard that far into the corner to have caused a lock-up, and anyway, I would have expected the right front wheel to have locked up first as it would have been considerably unburdened (sorry, that's not the right word - what passes for my brain is not computing at this moment) and not the left front.
I think unloaded is the word you're after?

And I agree. Even if Vettel had a wobble and lost the rear, there's plenty of run off to go to without needing to jam on the brakes.
Old 27 Feb 2019, 18:44 (Ref:3887119)   #193
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Autosprout mention that (paraphrased) they've seen photos that suggest the left hand end of the front wing was in contact with the ground as the car left the track, so I would suspect that there was some form of suspension failure as he loaded that side of the car on the brakes into T3, or as he got the power on through T3.

Whatever it was, it was pretty much instantaneous.

Last edited by Greem; 27 Feb 2019 at 18:45. Reason: suspect, not expect!
Old 27 Feb 2019, 19:55 (Ref:3887142)   #194
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think it highly unlikely that Vettel would have been braking that hard that far into the corner to have caused a lock-up
It is an almost flat corner with very little to non braking at that point. So you can basically exclude the possibility of overbraking unless something broke before.
Old 27 Feb 2019, 20:17 (Ref:3887146)   #195
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I think unloaded is the word you're after?

That's the one. At least I won't now wake up in the middle of the night with the answer on my lips instead of the tip of my tongue.
Old 27 Feb 2019, 20:29 (Ref:3887148)   #196
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
Mercedes seems to have started the "oh we are so far behind, it is such a difficult uphill battle" very early this year. The last two years they at least waited until the points situation gave them some credibility.

I wonder whether all that whining is to release some more funds from the HQ.

I've been wondering about their apparent lack of performance.I don't believe the difference between their lap times and the leaders is the whole truth.Are they working on something other than extracting instantly obvious performance?I suppose they could be generating a real aero-map rather than relying on wind tunnel or CFD figures.
Old 28 Feb 2019, 13:33 (Ref:3887314)   #197
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MB understand one thing and that is what practise is for and that is not setting the fastest time but learning how to set the fastest time come the first race day. I have to laugh at all the comments on the internet insisting the times run in practise are indicative of the what the pecking order will be this season. The commentators have as much idea as me and I have none which is equal to everyone else.
Old 28 Feb 2019, 17:58 (Ref:3887369)   #198
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
onboards of the Gasly crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=bqJTR5ikpIc
Old 28 Feb 2019, 18:27 (Ref:3887382)   #199
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Car failure or just a tiny nibble of the grass at the end of the left kerb?
Old 28 Feb 2019, 18:31 (Ref:3887383)   #200
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Car failure or just a tiny nibble of the grass at the end of the left kerb?
it was the gras, he touched it more with the rear wheel, he already apoligized to the team.