Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Sep 2006, 04:59 (Ref:1700361)   #1
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Open face helmets

Why are Kelly brothers wearing open face helmets? It doesn't look to be too hot at Sandown... Did they also wear open face helmets at Adelaide?
Old 3 Sep 2006, 05:10 (Ref:1700363)   #2
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The reason why that the Kelly brothers are using the open faced helmets is to make it easier to see when they to driver changes.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 05:19 (Ref:1700369)   #3
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
And Crash Bandicoot looks bloody stupid with those NASCAR glasses on.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 3 Sep 2006, 07:17 (Ref:1700409)   #4
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ricky Kelly just likes to get his mug on tv.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 07:21 (Ref:1700410)   #5
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
Ricky Kelly just likes to get his mug on tv.

So bloody true
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 3 Sep 2006, 07:23 (Ref:1700411)   #6
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After a drive like that, he deserves to get his face on TV.

Finalist in that Cleo thing, too.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 10:40 (Ref:1700561)   #7
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently it was a joint decision from Todd and Rick after watching Days of Thunder. I reckon we seen something in Rick this weekend that we have rarely seen before; a young bloke up for a laugh that is also a hell of a steerer. Perhaps driving with Todd has brought out his lighter side, but with the open face helmets, the p--- take dark glasses, the news of the Kombi ride to bathurst (with those helmets and racing paintjob) and copping Brighty in the moosh with champagne when he wasn't ready, I say good on the bloke. The more young blokes obvioulsy enjoying themselves and less of the Plastic media machines, the better.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 12:03 (Ref:1700629)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
actually mayhem, you are almost right

we have seen it in rick all year though, looks like him enjoying himself a lot (heck he is doing what most of dream about doing)

he comes up with some amusing comments and seems to be steering well also
Old 3 Sep 2006, 12:08 (Ref:1700635)   #9
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Take your word for that peck, I haven't noticed but it was kinda refreshing today, I didn't realise Rick had a personality!
Old 3 Sep 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1700642)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
we got a number of examples at of in the press conference. one example was regarding sequential boxes. he said that the h pattern is a lot of fun to drive and sequential boxes would be boring

todd replied well we will save money blah blah blah corporate line

Ricks comes back with "with him its about the money, with me its about the fun" which is what you were getting at with your post. he seems to be enjoying himself, a little less whiney and he is 2nd in the championship so he must be able to drive
Old 3 Sep 2006, 12:36 (Ref:1700660)   #11
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The guy can drive, he's been near the top of every catagory he's driven in. He's growing up under the spot light of the media. I think we forget he's still a kid, a kid with a lot of talent.

I dont get why he is still called 'Crash Bandicoot' either. It's a tag Murf put on him a couple of years ago.... , it was funny at the time, but I aint seen him crash lately.. all I've seen is good speed and awesome consistency.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 21:29 (Ref:1701029)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since when did Murphy coin the 'Crash Bandicoot' tag?
Old 3 Sep 2006, 22:57 (Ref:1701082)   #13
tanderfan
Rookie

Australia
Queensland
tanderfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Since when was this thread about Murphy didnt see him in an open face.

Its all about a bit of fun n makes it easier to see the seat belts to fasten them in a driver change.

Its no big deal it is an enclosed car worst that could happen you could loose a couple of teeth on the steering wheel in a big one.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 23:05 (Ref:1701088)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Mr Murphy mentioned it at a press conference after Phillip Island

'Crash Bandicoot' originated here @ 10/10ths
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 3 Sep 2006, 23:07 (Ref:1701090)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erki
Why are Kelly brothers wearing open face helmets? It doesn't look to be too hot at Sandown... Did they also wear open face helmets at Adelaide?
I presume the goggles are to stop the helmet visors from fogging up

.. but I would ask about the use of the balaclavas.. I thought that even in an open faced helmet, they had to be fitted over the nose of the driver

In the old days of Group A, Steve Soper used to favour an open faced helmet and always wore a balaclava over his nose.....

Is the Kelly/Kelly car compliant with the FIA safety equipment standards?
Old 3 Sep 2006, 23:14 (Ref:1701096)   #16
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where does it say that the balaclava has to be over the nose. Seton never has it over the nose. The guys with the full face helmets don't have it over the nose either.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 23:16 (Ref:1701097)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMax
Where does it say that the balaclava has to be over the nose. Seton never has it over the nose. The guys with the full face helmets don't have it over the nose either.
What precisely is the point of a fireproof balaclava if it doesnt protect the face of the driver? They may as well not be wearing one.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 23:19 (Ref:1701100)   #18
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a pity it takes this long for people to see the talent of Rick, and see that he and his brother are quite the larrikins.

About the open-face helmets - I think that if they are equally safe (and they wouldn't be permitted to wear them if they were unsafe) then they should all have to wear them. AVESCO would love to be able to put more a human face to the racing - this works perfectly. You can see more of the driver and for people who aren't dedicated fans, it provides more than just a name.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 23:23 (Ref:1701106)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Did anyone see the aftermath of Peter Williamson's crash at Bathurst in 1986, with the open faced helmet attached...

One fire extinguisher + one open faced helmet + one rolling race car ultimately meant thousands in dental work...
Old 4 Sep 2006, 01:25 (Ref:1701133)   #20
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking of safety equipment. Did anyone else notice some official checking that Jason Bright was wearing his fireproof undies as soon as he got out of the car?
Old 4 Sep 2006, 03:11 (Ref:1701160)   #21
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An open face helmet is ultimately safer, things can smash windscreens & a face full of glass wouldn't be overly fun at the very least. Some guys full faced helmets don't have visors anyway tho & I like being able to see drivers faces whether it be the insane look Rusty gets in his eyes or Seto having a chew on his straw.
Old 4 Sep 2006, 05:34 (Ref:1701211)   #22
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
[QUOTE=RotorFan]Its a pity it takes this long for people to see the talent of Rick, and see that he and his brother are quite the larrikins.

[QUOTE]
I agree, a great pity, I'd mistaken Rick for an uptight pubescent teen that needed to get a shot away, but either he has changed or my (and many many others) perceptions were wrong. Either way good onya Rick, get out there and enjoy yourself, the number of blokes that look like they appreciate the position they are in (professional race car driver) can be counted on one hand, which I find extraordinary.
Old 4 Sep 2006, 11:27 (Ref:1701455)   #23
Jacal
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Jacal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought a few years ago that the rules were changed so that drivers had to wear full face helmets, and that was why Seton went away from the open face helmet. Have they changed or were we fed a line at the time?
Old 4 Sep 2006, 11:42 (Ref:1701460)   #24
Exceler8
Racer

Exceler8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
Its a pity it takes this long for people to see the talent of Rick, and see that he and his brother are quite the larrikins
yes they are quiet the larrikins as well as nathan pretty
all three are driving to bathurst in a split window comby
with there open faced helmets
crompo mentioned it in the telecast
Old 4 Sep 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1701483)   #25
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silly question, but I dont remember seeing the balaclavas on those two. They'd be committing sporting suicide if they didnt have them, i was more looking at data etc and gear changes ....

FIA regulations banned the darth vader style helmets these guys had before, so they've obviously gone the opposite route. I like the open face helmets, gives you a better feeling of what the driver is up to. If they talk on the radio or to tv, at least you could see facial expressions etc. Imagine if you saw murphy's and ambroses faces last year at bathurst.. hahaha.