Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Nov 2019, 00:11 (Ref:3942237)   #1
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VW Out of ICE Motorsport

VW have announced their exit from any motor sport that uses an internal Combustion engine including the immediate cessation of the TCR program for the Mk8 Golf. Is this the kick start that will enable other manufacturers to do the same without putting their hand up to be the first?

https://www.motorsport.com/general/n...t-tcr/4601530/

TCR are might be a short lived series if other manufacturers decide to follow VW out the door and if that happens their will be a big vacuum to fill from somewhere. If they are serious about it it might start the big re-think that motor sport was always going to have to have presuming the ICE demise replaced by electric continues to gather momentum.
Old 23 Nov 2019, 00:37 (Ref:3942245)   #2
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Audi and Cupra are still continuing with their TCR programs, out of the same facility, using the existing running gear.

Nothing stopping VW from going exclusively to ETCR. Cupra are in that, as are Hyundai, and Honda are said to be working on it.
Old 23 Nov 2019, 00:54 (Ref:3942247)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A shame. A V8Supercar version of an Arteon would have been awesome to see.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 23 Nov 2019, 01:07 (Ref:3942248)   #4
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be interesting to see where the other VW brands go & whether this is a VW only mandate or covers the whole corporation. It might be a case of having a different policy for each brand which would be a very cynical two faced policy. The Arteon was never going to be a super car in Oz, that is simply wishing for the impossible. It is a very minor model that sells in low double digits or close to it per month and most probably has not got a long life in Oz as the UP experience has shown.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 00:24 (Ref:3942637)   #5
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fall out from Diesel-gate still ongoing....
Old 25 Nov 2019, 01:15 (Ref:3942646)   #6
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
It will be interesting to see where the other VW brands go & whether this is a VW only mandate or covers the whole corporation. It might be a case of having a different policy for each brand which would be a very cynical two faced policy. The Arteon was never going to be a super car in Oz, that is simply wishing for the impossible. It is a very minor model that sells in low double digits or close to it per month and most probably has not got a long life in Oz as the UP experience has shown.

It’s VW only.

No way is it going to be a VAG edict as too much money is made out of Porsche/Audi/Lambo one make and Gt Racing cars.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 01:27 (Ref:3942650)   #7
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Other than being somewhat premature, this was inevitable as VW did make it clear around a year ago their next ICE program would be their last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
A shame. A V8Supercar version of an Arteon would have been awesome to see.
There's a reason why no new manufacturers have entered into Supercars...
Old 25 Nov 2019, 02:46 (Ref:3942671)   #8
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post

There's a reason why no new manufacturers have entered into Supercars...

There’s multiple reasons why no one new has signed up...
Old 25 Nov 2019, 02:55 (Ref:3942672)   #9
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
No mate, "It's coz of Scotty and the mighty Mustang!"

Old 25 Nov 2019, 03:05 (Ref:3942675)   #10
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
No mate, "It's coz of Scotty and the mighty Mustang!"

From headmaster to class clown, the charade continues.
Old 26 Nov 2019, 02:33 (Ref:3942857)   #11
gravin
Rookie

gravin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Nothing stopping VW from going exclusively to ETCR. Cupra are in that.
Agree. Easy to follow the same model they used for TCR and transfer the drive line and tech across from Seat. The IDR tech could then filter across as a development program.

VW have signaled that they have an "e" mandate for future for some time now. Guessing they want to "clear the air" so to speak in regards to Diesel gate.
Old 26 Nov 2019, 23:55 (Ref:3943091)   #12
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Exactly.

From headmaster to class clown, the charade continues.
Odd, given that Daihatsu don't compete in Supercars
Old 31 Jan 2020, 11:40 (Ref:3954729)   #13
Umai Naa
Veteran

Meanwhile, VW are set to launch the e-Golf TCR car very shortly.

One speculates whether existing Golf TCR chassis can be electrified retroactively.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 13:36 (Ref:3954769)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Meanwhile, VW are set to launch the e-Golf TCR car very shortly.

One speculates whether existing Golf TCR chassis can be electrified retroactively.
VW/Audi have stated they intend to have electric versions of the entire fleet. although 'intend' and 'will' may not be the same thing. That may be a reaction to having been caught cheating diesels.
Old 2 Feb 2020, 00:20 (Ref:3955162)   #15
Casper
Veteran

None of the manufacturers have any choice in introducing electric vehicles because the new fleet averaging for emissions gives them no choice in the matter and they have deadlines to meet. The punitive fines are huge and not to even be considered by any manufacturer so deadlines will be met.

A lot of people think the electrification of the new car fleet is a trendy thing thought up by the OEM's where in fact they are being faced with huge punishment by the legislators if they don't comply to targets set.
Old 3 Feb 2020, 07:56 (Ref:3955415)   #16
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
None of the manufacturers have any choice in introducing electric vehicles because the new fleet averaging for emissions gives them no choice in the matter and they have deadlines to meet. The punitive fines are huge and not to even be considered by any manufacturer so deadlines will be met.

A lot of people think the electrification of the new car fleet is a trendy thing thought up by the OEM's where in fact they are being faced with huge punishment by the legislators if they don't comply to targets set.
The fleet average required isn't zero. It's 95 g CO2/km which could easily be met by **exclusively** selling vehicles with an engine capacity of no more than 900cc. No hybrid needed, no EV needed.

It's the selfishness of some customers still wanting polluting large engines for their personal vehicles that causes the pickle and creates the "need" to balance out polluting vehicles with low and zero emissions ones.
Old 3 Feb 2020, 10:10 (Ref:3955431)   #17
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
The fleet average required isn't zero. It's 95 g CO2/km which could easily be met by **exclusively** selling vehicles with an engine capacity of no more than 900cc. No hybrid needed, no EV needed.

It's the selfishness of some customers still wanting polluting large engines for their personal vehicles that causes the pickle and creates the "need" to balance out polluting vehicles with low and zero emissions ones.
Of course it isn't zero it is a fleet AVERAGE. My point was not that at all it was that the legislators are forcing the OEM's to go to electric to reduce the fleet average and not as most people seem to think doing it of their own volition. If they don't do it the fines would break the biggest car maker in the world. Most of the world think VW are doing this to hide the diesel scandal but that is not so, they are literally being forced into it or commit business suicide.

How would you like to tow a caravan with 900cc?
Old 3 Feb 2020, 12:21 (Ref:3955454)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
How would you like to tow a caravan with 900cc?
Not to mention that up here most EV or Hybrids are not rated for towing so can't be used. Even if they could, what's the point in taking a caravan the maximum 40 odd miles range you're going to get whilst pulling and recharging said shed?

There are some jobs for which EVs are wonderful and some for which they are useless. The problem comes when you sometimes need the task for which it is useless and you don't happen to have the finance to buy an (expensive) EV and a capable vehicle for occasional use.

The other problem is that EVs come in three types
1) Very expensive
2) Useless and/or awful
3) Both of the above.
Old 3 Feb 2020, 14:34 (Ref:3955475)   #19
Umai Naa
Veteran

Less caravans on the road is a good thing.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 09:59 (Ref:3955605)   #20
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post

1) Very expensive
2) Useless and/or awful
3) Both of the above.
Not true and you know it, I take it that BEV's are not to your liking? Me, I don't know as I have never driven one but for sure their future in Oz is way more complicated than in Europe and simply won't work in some parts of the country at all. In the populated regions it will be no different to Europe but in the bush simply have no future at all which raises a lot of questions on what will happen when ICE vehicles with low volumes are all we can buy and become crazy expensive because of it.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 07:41 (Ref:3955793)   #21
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

There are some jobs for which EVs are wonderful and some for which they are useless. The problem comes when you sometimes need the task for which it is useless and you don't happen to have the finance to buy an (expensive) EV and a capable vehicle for occasional use.

You do what I do. You rent. e.g. I don't have a camper, if I needed one to go racing I'd rent it.

The lifestyle model of car ownership is going to have to change. I foresee small, lightweight cars on the drive for daily use with the workhorses being owned by the likes of Hertz.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 7 Feb 2020, 13:33 (Ref:3956254)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Not true and you know it, I take it that BEV's are not to your liking?
Not at all, we actively looked at them before settling on a hybrid.

Most are mega expensive. Teslas, Jaguars, etc. Some are brilliant, some are still fairly poor.
BME i8 or VWs are ridiculous prices. For something the size of our Hybrid Toyota there's at least a 2/3rds premium. Evan a BASIC Nissan Leaf is another £8k and it's horrible.
Things which are affordable are terrible - Renault Twizzy's. There's nothing on the market which we could consider that's anywhere near close to affordable for someone on a little over average salaries. Second hand is questionable for longevity, given we tend to keep our cars for 10 years or thereabouts and all suggestions is current battery technology won't last that long.

In short, for your normal person-about-town the prices currently are unsustainable, and if you want to use it for anything out of town, there are other difficulties. I couldn't, for instance, use anything to go to Silverstone for a weekend. I can't tow a caravan and get there and back, and I can't get there and back twice and have time to charge it, so even if one car is electric, I still need something which isn't for the other - and since that needs to be a towcar then I'm faced with both being more expensive.
Old 9 Feb 2020, 12:36 (Ref:3956564)   #23
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
1) Very expensive
2) Useless and/or awful
3) Both of the above.
Quote:
Not true and you know it, I take it that BEV's are not to your liking?
What do you mean "not true"?

An average economy car EV like a Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq or Honda e is about twice as expensive as the equivalent Nissan Pulsar, Hyundai i30 or Honda Jazz. If that isn't "very expensive" than what is!?

Given we are on a motor racing forum for car enthusiasts, I can very much see how a Renault-Nissan enthusiast who likes Megane RS Trophy style fun-to-drive cars would consider the equally priced Nissan Leaf to be both awful and expensive.

All the things the car enthusiast likes such as a snappy manual gearbox, sport bucket seats, sporty styling with widened wheel arches, a rorty exhaust noise, feelsome steering and precise handling are missing in the Nissan Leaf, hence it's "awful" (in terms of driving enjoyment and style), while the price being expensive ($50k/30k GBP for a small hatchback) is self-evident.

Compare the pair:

These cars are about the same price! Surely you can see why some people would consider the Leaf to be both 'awful' (they would probably say the combustion engine 1.8L CVT Nissan Pulsar economy car is also awful for that matter -- same lack of style, same lack of driving fun etc) but crucially the worst sin is that the Leaf is far too expensive for an economy car.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 9 Feb 2020 at 12:52.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 09:19 (Ref:3956714)   #24
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
What do you mean "not true"?

An average economy car EV like a Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq or Honda e is about twice as expensive as the equivalent Nissan Pulsar, Hyundai i30 or Honda Jazz. If that isn't "very expensive" than what is!?

Given we are on a motor racing forum for car enthusiasts, I can very much see how a Renault-Nissan enthusiast who likes Megane RS Trophy style fun-to-drive cars would consider the equally priced Nissan Leaf to be both awful and expensive.

All the things the car enthusiast likes such as a snappy manual gearbox, sport bucket seats, sporty styling with widened wheel arches, a rorty exhaust noise, feelsome steering and precise handling are missing in the Nissan Leaf, hence it's "awful" (in terms of driving enjoyment and style), while the price being expensive ($50k/30k GBP for a small hatchback) is self-evident.

Compare the pair:

These cars are about the same price! Surely you can see why some people would consider the Leaf to be both 'awful' (they would probably say the combustion engine 1.8L CVT Nissan Pulsar economy car is also awful for that matter -- same lack of style, same lack of driving fun etc) but crucially the worst sin is that the Leaf is far too expensive for an economy car.
The enthusiast as you and I know it is on a winner, huge torque off the line, lay rubber anywhere etc and about the same price as a European performance sedan which the BEV will blow the doors off. The low end of the commuter market is a bit expensive up front but the running costs are just about zero compared to an IC car, no clutch jobs, no brake rebuilds, no servicing costs such as oil changes etc.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 09:34 (Ref:3956717)   #25
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
All the things the car enthusiast likes such as a snappy manual gearbox, sport bucket seats, sporty styling with widened wheel arches, a rorty exhaust noise, feelsome steering and precise handling are missing in the Nissan Leaf,
Snappy manual gearbox - I'd prefer a paddle, or sequential.
Sport bucket seats - style over substance in a lot of cars, and could be added to any vehicle.
Sporty styling with widened wheel arches - as with bucket seats.
A rorty exhaust noise - becomes a monotonous drone that induces headaches on commutes.
Feelsome steering and precise handling - are you sure they are missing in an EV?

What you describe as appealing to a car enthusiast sounds more like the type of car that appeals to some motor-sport enthusiasts. The features are more suited to a track than an urban environment, and basically suggest a car that is styled to appeal to the boy-racer fraternity as opposed to having any real practicality.