Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Nov 2004, 03:23 (Ref:1144412)   #1
Beatcha
Racer

Australia
Beatcha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are V8 Supercars the future?

I have heard a few whispers around the traps that imply a new Touring Car Formula might be looked at for Australia. I have heard that some factions want more Manufacturers involved in a premier Touring Car class. I am led to believe that some talks have already been held with a ruling body and talk of reviving the ATCC. Just wondering if anyone can shed more light on this.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 03:43 (Ref:1144419)   #2
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ATCC was being mooted for the GTP class early last year. Seeing Procar is no more i'm not sure anything else has been done about it.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 04:58 (Ref:1144449)   #3
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ATCC

Personally I would like to see the ATCC return to its halcyon days. Different classes, manfacturers and configurations all racing on permanent circuits.

I like the Supercars but it does get a little bit too samey after a while.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 08:03 (Ref:1144503)   #4
monaroCountry
Racer

monaroCountry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Different manufacturers gets a little bit too confusing and difficult to run. I think the current system is just fine. Many australians see ford and holden as Australian, unlike mitsu and toyota. V8 isnt declining, its growing, theres no need to change it.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 08:07 (Ref:1144508)   #5
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that V8SC has peaked. These things go in cycles, give it another 5 or 6 years and something else will be on the way up.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 08:20 (Ref:1144517)   #6
FFOracing
Rookie

FFOracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I truly beleive that people will tire very quickly of the current formula.

Ther are two main problems:

1. Cars a too alike and bear no resemblence to road going cars. They should race what can be purchased off a showroom floor with minor modifications, namely safety.

2. The stewards are ruining too many good races with over zealous safety car deployoments and unfair penalties. Penalties should be handed out after each race after sufficient evidence can be collected. Don't ruin a race.

REMEMBER: Motorsport is ENTERTAINMENT. Take away the crashes, spills and thrills and you will slowly loose fans as they become bored. SOmething I am becomming.

Also, encourage drivers, team members to speak their minds rather than fining them. It adds to the entertainment and actually helps promote V8SC as the media love to run with a good fight.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 08:29 (Ref:1144519)   #7
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by monaroCountry
Different manufacturers gets a little bit too confusing and difficult to run.

Maaate, check out the Grand Am GTO-R.

I respect your opinion but disagree.

Example is the 55 car grid at Bathurst, half full! Brock/Grice/Moffat/Harves/Johnson/Bowe racing sedans on the world stage; Bob Jane racing a Mark2 Jag in the UK in the 60s & setting fastest lap.

Murph Ambrose etc will not pick up the drives overseas they should because of our formula - I love the V8s but we can do better!!
Old 4 Nov 2004, 10:24 (Ref:1144601)   #8
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But maybe the "overseas" want to come here?

Seems that many of the OS drivers find the under-tyred V8s irresistable and enjoy the challenge.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 4 Nov 2004, 10:38 (Ref:1144612)   #9
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All formulas reach their end eventually, though I can't see the V8's going the ways of the dinosours in the immediate future.
10 years time is anyone's guess.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 10:46 (Ref:1144617)   #10
jaytor
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
jaytor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR has worked fore years in the US, what's different about Australia, the population?

Last edited by jaytor; 4 Nov 2004 at 10:47.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 10:58 (Ref:1144630)   #11
Mattracer
Veteran

Each series, Nascar, IRL, V8 Supercar, F1- has a signature or prestige race or races, the jewel in the crown which usually commands the attention of the once-a-year spectator, either live or on TV. Daytona, Indy 500, Bathurst, Monaco. The rest depends on the grass-roots popluarity which drives all other promotion and the role of the media to each market. The us and Europe have vast populations, so the coverage, you would think would be successful enough to generate interest far and wide. In Australia, V8 Supercar has to battle cricket, horse racing and several codes of footaball to make headway in the print and electronic media. Big ask.

Old 4 Nov 2004, 11:03 (Ref:1144637)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR has changed remarkebly regulation wise over the years. It is only in the last 20 years for instance that the emphasis has gone away on the production models having anything to do with the racing cars.

Mattracer - if there was going to be an international influx of drivers, it would have happened by now. There have been talk and rumours and so on, but it hasn't happened.

It needs to start from scratch, both regulation wise and how it is being run.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 12:01 (Ref:1144665)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whole heartedly agree. A multiple manufacterer class championship is just what Australia needs for the ATCC. The diversity and new interest this would bring would be awesome.

It takes me back to the days of BMW, Nissan, Holden, Ford, Volvo, Toyota all out there having ago.

Maybe with new regulations, could we get a new promoter aswell.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 12:24 (Ref:1144679)   #14
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Australian Production Car Association has been formed recently.....showroom vehicles with minimal modifications, multiple brands, good racing.... 2005 is looking good for them.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 13:06 (Ref:1144713)   #15
Bigguy
Racer

Bigguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by monaroCountry
Different manufacturers gets a little bit too confusing and difficult to run. I think the current system is just fine. Many australians see ford and holden as Australian, unlike mitsu and toyota. V8 isnt declining, its growing, theres no need to change it.
You are clearly too young to know that Ford took YEARS to overcome the import tag when they introduced the Falcon in the 60s, more than 10 years after the Holden became an "Australian" car. (Hmmmph, a friend on my family, Walter Pett, was brought out from GM Detroit to design the FX/FJ interior, and GMH was crawling with Americans designing other major bits...)

This issue about Toyota and Mitsubishi being "furriners" is just the same thing. Getting them involved in Supercars would be a good way to overcome the bias. Surely it is good for the country to have FOUR strong local manufacturers?

I reckon we should think more of the big picture, and not swallow the Ford/GM line, which clearly shows that they feel threatened by the possibility of the market being opened up.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 17:23 (Ref:1144898)   #16
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by FFOracing
I truly beleive that people will tire very quickly of the current formula.

Ther are two main problems:

1. Cars a too alike and bear no resemblence to road going cars. They should race what can be purchased off a showroom floor with minor modifications, namely safety.

2. The stewards are ruining too many good races with over zealous safety car deployoments and unfair penalties. Penalties should be handed out after each race after sufficient evidence can be collected. Don't ruin a race.

REMEMBER: Motorsport is ENTERTAINMENT. Take away the crashes, spills and thrills and you will slowly loose fans as they become bored. SOmething I am becomming.

Also, encourage drivers, team members to speak their minds rather than fining them. It adds to the entertainment and actually helps promote V8SC as the media love to run with a good fight.
I agree with everything in this post, good stuff.

Fred Gibson said in an interveiw earlier this year:" You've got to remember, it's for the good of the sport. V8s were what the people wanted, and to me it was just another chellenge. But I rekon we've got about five years at most before something has to change.

Can you Imagine 4.4L, four-valve overhead-cam V8 screaming at 8500 rpm? Toyota's got one, Nissan, BMW and Mercedes too. I think it would be awesome!"

SOunds good to me....but Ford and Holden would have to be involved somehow I would think, for the public to like it.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 4 Nov 2004, 17:35 (Ref:1144920)   #17
monaroCountry
Racer

monaroCountry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You are clearly too young to know that Ford took YEARS to overcome the import tag when they introduced the Falcon in the 60s, more than 10 years after the Holden became an "Australian" car. (Hmmmph, a friend on my family, Walter Pett, was brought out from GM Detroit to design the FX/FJ interior, and GMH was crawling with Americans designing other major bits...)
In not young, but am gerring pretty foggy upstairs . The point is that both are NOW regarded as more australian than mitsu and toyota.

Theres been many people here that thinks a multiple (more than two) manufacturer would be better. This I disagree, the current formula is great and has proven itself. Look at procar and nations cup, on paper it looked great but it had very little support base (again cars not identifyable). I loved NC and wished that it survived, but you have to admit that there were some serious flaws.

The V8's are original and does have some grat racing, great drivers and multiple showcase events.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 20:17 (Ref:1145062)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I do not follow V8SC (or better: I am not able to watch the championship , but was lucky to see some season reviews at the end of last year ).

I would say the current championship is great and needs no change. More manufacturers would be great, BUT this means the development costs are higher for each single car on the grid (if the gridsize will not grow).

In Europe we had the European Touring Car Championship (ETCC) last couple of years. This championship is using the Super2000 rules, which means a normal road car prepared for racing (sort of Group N) with 2L engine. The S2000 rules are also used in the Swedish, German, Danish and Asian touring car championships. In British BTCC S2000 cars are allowed to take part (2 factory Seats this year).

Next year this championship will be replaced by the World Touring Car Championship (WTCC) and there will be factory teams from BMW, Alfa Romeo, Seat, Chevrolet and Brilliance (Chinese manufacturer). And maybe in the near future factory teams from Honda, Peugeot and Ford.

So if V8SC collapses S2000 is in my opinion the way to go. If S2000 is used world wide there's (relative) a big market, so developments costs are lower for each single car. In example Ford Europe, Ford Asia and Ford Australia can use the same car and don't need to develop a car for themselve.

Last edited by FIRE; 4 Nov 2004 at 20:18.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 08:42 (Ref:1145357)   #19
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
"1. Cars a too alike and bear no resemblence to road going cars. They should race what can be purchased off a showroom floor with minor modifications, namely safety."

this I dont agree with.

I see lots and lots of cars each day that look very similar to the v8 supercars ?
Old 5 Nov 2004, 09:22 (Ref:1145380)   #20
Mattracer
Veteran

Marcus,

I think you might need to look into different and er, more practical floor coverings for the kitchen.

Old 5 Nov 2004, 10:15 (Ref:1145416)   #21
bartman71
Veteran

bartman71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigguy

This issue about Toyota and Mitsubishi being "furriners" is just the same thing. Getting them involved in Supercars would be a good way to overcome the bias. Surely it is good for the country to have FOUR strong local manufacturers?

I reckon we should think more of the big picture, and not swallow the Ford/GM line, which clearly shows that they feel threatened by the possibility of the market being opened up.
don't forget Toyota are the largest sell brand as well
Old 5 Nov 2004, 11:01 (Ref:1145441)   #22
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cannot seeing it changing . It is building on an extablished formula like any other Sport. "We need different cars to make it exciting" furphy was used by PROCAR. It has been rapidly growing over the last couple of years and the basic concept is supported by the bulk of the fans. The dissenters, who mainly inhabit motorsport forum message boards, can go and put their money where their mouths are and start their own"Dream" Touring Car series. easier said than done, just ask Ross Palmer and Bob Jane.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 11:43 (Ref:1145463)   #23
Monaro
Racer

Australia
Bathurst
Monaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gtr69

Can you Imagine 4.4L, four-valve overhead-cam V8 screaming at 8500 rpm? Toyota's got one, Nissan, BMW and Mercedes too. I think it would be awesome!"
I have one with 2 super-charges on top.Sounds sweet.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 23:24 (Ref:1145879)   #24
Venom XR
Racer

Australia
Venom XR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bartman71
don't forget Toyota are the largest sell brand as well
Due to the fact they sell a lot of commerical vehicles.
Old 6 Nov 2004, 01:01 (Ref:1145899)   #25
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford and Holden are also now selling a fair few commercial vehicles as well. Both of their ute models are selling well for a start.