Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 20 Jul 2017, 11:09 (Ref:3753044)   #2751
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Chugoku Shimbun (local newspaper of Hiroshima) reported that Mazda to develop inline-6 engine for high class car aiming at 2020 at new year's of this year.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 11:16 (Ref:3753046)   #2752
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Turbo V6 MX-5 sounds absolutely bonkers. I like it.
No, absolutely bonkers are the Flying Miata V8s. Turbo V6 is just slightly nuts, and sounds like something Fiat would pull out of their lineup to make an Abarth Fiata special.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3753105)   #2753
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
Chugoku Shimbun (local newspaper of Hiroshima) reported that Mazda to develop for high class car aiming at 2020 at new year's of this year.
Fantastic!!!! The inline-6 engines sounds more beautiful than the V6.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 14:38 (Ref:3753115)   #2754
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Actually, Mazda applies for a patent of an exhaust device of HCCI combustion in a straight-6 engine in 2017.
http://patent.conceptsengine.com/pat...ion/2017110617
Old 20 Jul 2017, 14:54 (Ref:3753117)   #2755
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
Actually, Mazda applies for a patent of an exhaust device of HCCI combustion in a straight-6 engine in 2017.
http://patent.conceptsengine.com/pat...ion/2017110617
Thank you for the information.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 17:52 (Ref:3753141)   #2756
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
No, absolutely bonkers are the Flying Miata V8s. Turbo V6 is just slightly nuts, and sounds like something Fiat would pull out of their lineup to make an Abarth Fiata special.
Touchè.

Even though depending on many factors, like boost pressure, type of V6 etc, the V6 could be quicker that the V8s.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 18:55 (Ref:3753156)   #2757
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Touchè.

Even though depending on many factors, like boost pressure, type of V6 etc, the V6 could be quicker that the V8s.
But you didn't say a fast car, just nuts. The only thing crazier than a Chevy V8 Miata is the Chevy V8 powered GT3, and that is just cause a Porsche purist might kill you for driving it.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 18:59 (Ref:3753157)   #2758
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
But you didn't say a fast car, just nuts. The only thing crazier than a Chevy V8 Miata is the Chevy V8 powered GT3, and that is just cause a Porsche purist might kill you for driving it.
Was that the Richard / Aaron V8 Beetle?

I've seen people put small block Chevys in MGTDs. That's bonkers.

Maybe not quite as bonkers as the Tiny Tire Shadow Mk1 Can Am aka Big Block on a Go Kart.

She didn't handle too good.

DPi could use a little crazy!
Old 20 Jul 2017, 19:25 (Ref:3753171)   #2759
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I think this one was smaller.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 20:16 (Ref:3753175)   #2760
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't care what engine configuration they use so long as it is not "fragile and feeble" which seems to have been their favorite so far.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 20:32 (Ref:3753177)   #2761
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I got lost in an article on it earlier and didn't realize how many iterations there were before it got to the track. I believe this one and the one I showed were the same chassis but certainly less bodywork on the black and entirely different "setups".
Old 20 Jul 2017, 20:41 (Ref:3753180)   #2762
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Toyota was able to win Daytona with a 4 in line turbo 24 years ago , why Mazda can't do it again?
Old 20 Jul 2017, 20:52 (Ref:3753181)   #2763
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Same car, just later on when they compromised and put bigger back tires on it and with a driver too big to fit properly. The original design for the Mk.I was the coolest.

Actually it was supposed to be even lower than that, but it wouldn't even run decently with the intended air intake. Although they took it another direction, it had the same fundamental conceptual flaw as the Chapparal 2H where they overestimated the potential of drag reduction compared to handling.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 21:09 (Ref:3753184)   #2764
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
If Toyota was able to win Daytona with a 4 in line turbo 24 years ago , why Mazda can't do it again?
Because Toyota threw a metric ton of greenbacks to make that engine work. And Mazda's not that rich.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 21:12 (Ref:3753186)   #2765
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Same car, just later on when they compromised and put bigger back tires on it and with a driver too big to fit properly. The original design for the Mk.I was the coolest.

Actually it was supposed to be even lower than that, but it wouldn't even run decently with the intended air intake. Although they took it another direction, it had the same fundamental conceptual flaw as the Chapparal 2H where they overestimated the potential of drag reduction compared to handling.
That one looks like an SCCA D sports racer with a big block, which is a big block better than a D sports racer. This was my favorite:

Radiators in or around the wings, crazy slopes, useless rollbar and just craziness everywhere. They're all cool.

So are DPis as we wander way off topic, which easy for me to do.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 01:56 (Ref:3753223)   #2766
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I got lost in an article on it earlier and didn't realize how many iterations there were before it got to the track. I believe this one and the one I showed were the same chassis but certainly less bodywork on the black and entirely different "setups".
Is that driver missing his legs?
Old 21 Jul 2017, 02:01 (Ref:3753225)   #2767
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
No, amazingly. Not yet, anyway.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 02:51 (Ref:3753229)   #2768
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
Money, and the thing wasn't wound to an inch of its life the entire duration of the event.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 02:54 (Ref:3753230)   #2769
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
No, but he needed a third arm to have any hope of cornering properly.
Old 21 Jul 2017, 13:13 (Ref:3753327)   #2770
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...f-juttner.html
Old 23 Jul 2017, 01:15 (Ref:3753665)   #2771
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know what will they do with the tube, the cockpit is so wide compared with the Ligier and Oreca, it looks like P3 instead a P2.
Old 23 Jul 2017, 01:46 (Ref:3753668)   #2772
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
They don't have to do anything for the Mazda, just have more allowed horsepower or a less draggy mandated aero package than the other cars.
Old 23 Jul 2017, 14:17 (Ref:3753761)   #2773
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
They don't have to do anything for the Mazda, just have more allowed horsepower or a less draggy mandated aero package than the other cars.
I am not sure about the weight (I hear the Riley P2 was 60 kg overweight) but I don't think the Mazda needs much help with aero. The car had s been extremely fast. All it lacks is low-end power and reliability ... and a decent crew.
Old 23 Jul 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3753777)   #2774
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
At minimum it needs more cooling than the current package allows, seems like every report says cooling, cooling, cooling for reliability. I'm sure the base weight is a struggle if the Riley is over by that much, unless they are much better at lighter body work for Mazda. How much of that base chassis can be modified without using the joker update is the big thing though.
Old 23 Jul 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3753782)   #2775
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Probably doesn't mean too much for the Mazda DPI, since DPI isn't an ACO spec formula and the DPIs are still under draft homologation. Which of course means that changes for both durability and performance can be made. The Mazda was also showing at least decent pace the past few races. Not earth shattering but way better than early in the season and they did get podiums by being fast and reliable enough to take advantage of attrition.

The guys who probably are pretty screwed are the guys who run the base Riley. That car, simply put, needs a massive update to get it anywhere near what the base Oreca and Ligier can do. But when you consider that only two Rileys have raced (one by Ben Keating at LM and the other by VFR/SOD in IMSA), I'd have to say that the writing is on the wall for the basic Riley Mk30.