Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Oct 2003, 13:37 (Ref:761923)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Coys

JAG mentioned the Croup C 'night' race at Silverstone a couple of years ago in the Sportscar thread and it made me thing!

Goodwood seem to have the historic events sealed and there is the Oulton thing now too, but the old COYS had its place too. A fun weekend. Is there going to be anything like this again?

Seems the move to Rockingham wasn't a success and it pretty much destroyed the event.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 13:39 (Ref:761924)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It happens at Spa every year although I'm not sure if it will be so this year because the FIA GTs and the GP appear to be in the same period.

The difference between Coys and Spa is the free entry for spectators and the lack of "showbiz". Just pure racing for all.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 14:57 (Ref:761977)   #3
JEB
Veteran

JEB has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Watch this space !
Old 24 Oct 2003, 14:59 (Ref:761980)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What for? Spa dates, or the return of Coys?
Old 24 Oct 2003, 15:11 (Ref:761987)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Spa. MMmmmmmmm. A great place for Gp C and TGP.

The COYS event seemed to cover all eras. Pre war, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s GP and sportscar with a decent dash of Touring car thrown in! None of the other events seemed to cover everything as well as COYS in its peak.

Obviously Goodwood is limited to its era and a lot of other events seem to just have one top historic series headlining.

And I'll keep watching this space, for anything!

Last edited by Adam43; 24 Oct 2003 at 15:11.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 15:16 (Ref:761995)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I agree with you Adam it was quite unique in its diversity. Is that an oxymoron?
Old 24 Oct 2003, 15:57 (Ref:762034)   #7
JEB
Veteran

JEB has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Silverstone was pretty good in the summer months I seem to recall !
Old 26 Oct 2003, 08:43 (Ref:763371)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll keep watching this space James! Can we have the Coys art exhibition back too?
Old 27 Oct 2003, 08:22 (Ref:764231)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I reckon the cat is almost out of the bag!!!! Lets keep our fingers crossed and if it is even along the lines of the 75th b'day meeting this year it will be great!
Old 27 Oct 2003, 09:16 (Ref:764286)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fingers crossed...!

Incidentally, the only problem with the 75th celebration event this year is that a lot of the usual visitors just didn't get wind of the historic element of the programme until too late. The trade stalls were way down on what they could have been simply because every enquiry was greeted with "No, this is a GT Championship round with support races..."
Old 28 Oct 2003, 07:43 (Ref:765425)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Given he reads this forum, I am sure the organiser will take note of that - I get the impression that if the format can be made to succeed it could become a regular feature again - that would be great news for spectator and competitor alike!
And no matter what anyone says Silverstone is the only place to hold this type of Festival
Old 28 Oct 2003, 08:26 (Ref:765470)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I was in a very minor way involved in COYS. We used to do one of the club displays for Silverstone. I understood that after the GP it was the biggest event they had (?). I was surprised that it disappeared when it seemed to still be geting better and better.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 08:31 (Ref:765476)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

goodwood is great theatre but even that is not a patch on the Coys Festival. I havent been to teh Oldtimers (although I will next year!) but I would imagine that is the nearest comparison. It would be great to get it back
Old 28 Oct 2003, 08:36 (Ref:765479)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm,

A season comprising, Nurburgring Young and Oldtimer, Coys, Oulton gold Cup, Goodwood, Spa and one other.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 08:49 (Ref:765484)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

Pau
there you go season done and I think that might be it for me! in addition of course to the BRDC Historic Sportscar Championship, Classic Le Mans is v tempting but expensive, the Jury is out on that!
Old 28 Oct 2003, 21:18 (Ref:766178)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Coys at Silverstone is greatly missed - a fantastic event. How can Spa let spectators in for free? I'm sure that most enthusiasts would be prepared to pay in order to help maintain this great circuit.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 28 Oct 2003, 22:44 (Ref:766268)   #17
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the great days of the Coys festival could be brought back we would all be happy. But the last Silverstone one was poorly supported. Few spectators compared to previous years. It is the massed car / club displays and the variety of cars that made the event for me. A real carnival with a garden party atmosphere. Personally, I think the actual racing at Goodwood wins hands down because the cars just look right on a period circuit that suits them. A 250F, Lotus 11 or ERA never looks at home between acres of gravel and blue and white armco in the mickey mouse Luffield section where the spectators are miles away! But saying that, Coys was pretty special. To make it even better, reinstate the old Stowe, Club and Woodcote and see some full chat four wheel drifts! We can dream can't we?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 20:45 (Ref:767372)   #18
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There a rumours going about that the VSCC Donnington weekend will be well sponsored by AON insurers next year, with an auction (?Brooks?).

I sadly miss the Coys weekend, I met my lover there and she and I have been living together for 7 years now. I too had something to do with one of the Club stands... It was a great event until the decision to move the clubs out of the infield.

Organisers of this sort of event must recognise that the club members, however apparently insignificant the club, ARE the old car movement, we go there to meet friends as much as to watch the races, unless of course you are competing.

At the time I had neither the right car nor the right International racing licence...

Steve McQueen.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 22:49 (Ref:767534)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not really a fan of historics, but I did enjoy Coys. A great mixture of events and cars, all of them raced properly. Bring it on...