Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Sep 2009, 08:18 (Ref:2532334)   #76
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Limited modifications may be made. These should be of a period nature and not out of character with the vehicle or group period.
That could mean just about anything. Should have seen how I hot rodded my Healey 3000 back in the 60's! :-)
Old 1 Sep 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2532563)   #77
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
theres a law against that kind of thing Al so I'd keep quiet in case they can back date punishment !

fortunately they can't backdate fashion crime or we'd never see Gordon again
Old 1 Sep 2009, 19:21 (Ref:2532675)   #78
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
yes it was a silly thingto do but I really wanted a Cobra and couldnt afford one (pre kit cars) but it could have been worse because I was on the verge of buying a Zephyr 6 engined AC Ace and if I had I would have Cobraised (read b******ised) that even rarer car! (funny how the foul language thing stops the use of a ligitimate english word).
Old 2 Sep 2009, 06:47 (Ref:2532903)   #79
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Agreed an MOT requirement might be a good idea but I'd recommend ignoring any requirement to drive to and from the circuit.
Note the statement above was could be driven to the circuit, I wouldn't expect any racers actually do so even if some of the cars sport registration plates. All our historic touring car regs require retention of interior except floor covering, and exclude lightweight bodywork/glass.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 07:08 (Ref:2532910)   #80
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I realised that, but there have been champioships where people scored points for driving to and from the event. Trouble is, they parked the trailer in a local farmyard and drove all of 1/2 mile!
Old 2 Sep 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2532960)   #81
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Note the statement above was could be driven to the circuit, I wouldn't expect any racers actually do so even if some of the cars sport registration plates. All our historic touring car regs require retention of interior except floor covering, and exclude lightweight bodywork/glass.
CTCRC regs are the same, FiA cars should have trim and working windows, but most don't

my car is road legal, except the tyres.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2533041)   #82
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
HSCC Road Sports cars should have tax and MOT, and they get an extra point I believe for driving to & from event. I have seen a Spitfire, I think, towing a trailer with his spares and race tyres.

It would be good to have this proposed saloon series with the same requirements for road legality.

Last edited by Mike Bell; 2 Sep 2009 at 11:31. Reason: typo
Old 2 Sep 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2533051)   #83
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
racing on wafer thin ultra high profile crossplies as well
Old 2 Sep 2009, 18:32 (Ref:2533288)   #84
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I raced in a series that you had to drive the car to the track and never again and I believe it should be made illegal by the MSA as its totally irresponsible to encourage people to do so. Try getting a Sunbeam Tabot rolled up into a ball at Oulton Park back to London and you may not think it such a great idea. Also how many of these road racers will actually check their cars before taking them back on the road or drive with unsutable brake pads and tyres for road use, utter madness in my view and why I started a break away championship.
Old 3 Sep 2009, 02:35 (Ref:2533511)   #85
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the clarification zef, I have been looking at cars from a few different series & there are a lot that allow extensive lightening.

Al I agree with you its not something to encourage, I have seen a few guys in a spot of bother after breaking a road car on a track & wondering how to get it home.
Old 3 Sep 2009, 04:50 (Ref:2533536)   #86
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I wouldn't want to encourage driving to & from meeting either but still think having the technical regs state that car has to be legal to do so a good idea for the type of series being discussed.
Old 3 Sep 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2533766)   #87
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So.. Am I going to get my 997 Cooper up and running or not?
Old 3 Sep 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2533770)   #88
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope so - by the way have you seen Downton Mini at the Goodwood auction?
Old 3 Sep 2009, 15:01 (Ref:2533842)   #89
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
built yesterday?
Old 3 Sep 2009, 17:55 (Ref:2533946)   #90
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When was yours built?
Old 3 Sep 2009, 18:29 (Ref:2533975)   #91
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
January 1964

its had its fair share of maintenance and a few new bits but its still original
Old 3 Sep 2009, 18:30 (Ref:2533976)   #92
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
As a racing car?
Old 4 Sep 2009, 08:12 (Ref:2534245)   #93
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Its still, as far as I'm aware, a production saloon car.

I'm the first one, to my knowledge, to have tried racing it on a track though.

I do have an Al Weyman style 70's photo of it however, It may have been thrown at a few roundabouts in the West Midlands at a reasonable rate in the past.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 11:06 (Ref:2534324)   #94
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
When was yours built?

Well it was built originally in 1962, I had a go at major repairs about 1974, but a Mk2 1275 S put an end to that, and it has been disintegrating ever since. But mini's are a bit like series landrovers. You can sorta miss and match bits easier than most cars Jeees! that means I have owned it 35 years. I'm not old enough to have done that surely. BTW, in between those two minis I had a big winged anglia, purple with a gold flash, rear cage, some sort of lotus derived 1500,(later changed to a crossflow) LSD 2000E box. A real flash car for a 17yo. A guy traded a Mexicort Esco in against it and I remember seeing him try to fill it at the petrol station while I was on top of a nearby hill. The petrol filler was a dummy 'cos the real one was in the boot, and the guy pumped about 25 ltrs over the forecourt before he found out.
Whoops! sorta went off on one there!!!
Old 4 Sep 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2534390)   #95
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well, my point was that cars needn't be original race cars but should be built to the homologated version. That means you'd have to adopt some kind of national/international regulations.

Once that's decided the job's a goodun. Then what format of races would you go for?
Old 18 Oct 2009, 12:19 (Ref:2563624)   #96
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Arse, I've just bought an MG1100! (not as rich as Simon).
Peter - have you bought Madge? I saw it out yesterday at Silverstone HSCC and it seemed to be punching above its weight... you might have got yourself a right little cracker there and although I know you and Terry cant stand the Revival a possible Goodwood car...
Old 18 Oct 2009, 12:38 (Ref:2563635)   #97
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Thought Peter liked idea of Revival.
Assumed only Terry was against it but not sure he has ever been or participated.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 18:37 (Ref:2563866)   #98
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh,he's been alright,thats the reason he can't be bothered with ever going again John,not impressed by the hooky cars for a start,place seems to have its own set of rules.Sorry,just not interested.!
Old 19 Oct 2009, 05:28 (Ref:2564251)   #99
simon drabble
Veteran

To be fair I think JR meant as a driver...
Old 19 Oct 2009, 07:30 (Ref:2564287)   #100
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The circuit itself is fantastic,yes I have been around it once or twice.
April 4th 1990,was the first competitive event my newly built B took part in,it was only an MGCC sprint but I think that was when I really learned to love the circuit,obviously been since and decided that I really do not like the Revival,some good racing? yes,it make's for good TV viewing but the racing would be just as good if all of the car's were not 'purpose built' so to speak.!

Last edited by terence; 19 Oct 2009 at 07:39.