Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 10 Jan 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2610933)   #1
Parramatta_Power
Rookie

Australia
You Know, You Know...
Parramatta_Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Asian Le Mans Series

I've recetnly had an itch to jump on the ACO website and then later, the actually Asian Le Mans Series website and yet, there hasn't really been much updates on exactly what is to take place in 2010 other than that it will take place. No venues confirmed, no participants either(but that will most likely not be the case as the year progresses). So, basically I'm hoping that any kind member on the forum would fill us in on the ALMS for 2010.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 11:49 (Ref:2610945)   #2
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I'm aware, the aim for 2010 is to expand to two or three rounds.
Not sure what effect LMIC will have on this (one round of LMIC will be part of the AsLMS).

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 10 Jan 2010 at 11:57.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 11:58 (Ref:2610950)   #3
Parramatta_Power
Rookie

Australia
You Know, You Know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post
As far as I'm aware, the aim for 2010 is to expand to two or three rounds.
Not sure what effect LMIC will have on this (at least one round of LMIC will be part of the AsLMS).
For Sure... There's no doubt the Asian LM Series will have a race represented in the Le Mans International Cup... I was hoping to get some updates on Aston Martin's position in competing in the Asian LM Series (LMP1 Class)... without them, the series would be a bit of a dud.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 12:10 (Ref:2610957)   #4
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parramatta_Power View Post
For Sure... There's no doubt the Asian LM Series will have a race represented in the Le Mans International Cup... I was hoping to get some updates on Aston Martin's position in competing in the Asian LM Series (LMP1 Class)... without them, the series would be a bit of a dud.
They've yet to announce their official plans for this season.
I doubt there'll be much of a programme (especially abroad). Most of their efforts are focused on next year.

Why would the series be a 'dud' without AMR? Having one less works outfit surely detracts from the event, but it's by no means grounds for a failure.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 12:15 (Ref:2610958)   #5
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a tad early for an end of year calendar to be announced.

Provided the planned AsLMS and LMIC do have a round together, there will be Audi and Drayson. If 2009 was anything to go by, there should be enough interest to get a decent enough grid...
Old 10 Jan 2010, 12:18 (Ref:2610961)   #6
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
... I was hoping to get some updates on Aston Martin's position in competing in the Asian LM Series (LMP1 Class)... without them, the series would be a bit of a dud.
As far as I remember Signature expressed its interest in competing in the Cup. So I would consider their Aston as a participant.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2610973)   #7
Parramatta_Power
Rookie

Australia
You Know, You Know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Eins View Post
As far as I remember Signature expressed its interest in competing in the Cup. So I would consider their Aston as a participant.
Fair Enough. Its good to see that there will be a chance for an Aston Martin in the field atleast. The more Manufacturer involvement there is, the better.

Quote:
They've yet to announce their official plans for this season.
I doubt there'll be much of a programme (especially abroad). Most of their efforts are focused on next year.

Why would the series be a 'dud' without AMR? Having one less works outfit surely detracts from the event, but it's by no means grounds for a failure.
It's always a pleasure seeing one of the Top teams in the previous season defending their champions status. Considering the lack of manufacturer support from Asian-based Manufacturers for the LMP1 category, the series will need as much American/European supoort it can get.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2610980)   #8
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
Quote:
Fair Enough. Its good to see that there will be a chance for an Aston Martin in the field atleast. The more Manufacturer involvement there is, the better.

It's always a pleasure seeing one of the Top teams in the previous season defending their champions status. Considering the lack of manufacturer support from Asian-based Manufacturers for the LMP1 category, the series will need as much American/European supoort it can get.
Joest will be there, and there's even a chance (albeit minuscule) an Oreca-Peugeot might make an appearance.
Providing the ACO continues to foot the bill for the freight, I'm sure there will be a decent turn out.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 13:12 (Ref:2610989)   #9
Parramatta_Power
Rookie

Australia
You Know, You Know...
Quote:
Joest will be there, and there's even a chance (albeit minuscule) an Oreca-Peugeot might make an appearance.
Providing the ACO continues to foot the bill for the freight, I'm sure there will be a decent turn out.
Should be a promising new competition then. The 2009 running of the event saw a host of European Private and Manufacturer Teams including: Oreca, Aston Martin, Pescarolo, Kolles. With ACO funding major parts of the competition, it looks promising and it is early days. I just hope it doesn't fall into the wasteland the Japanese Le Mans Challenge fell into.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 18:52 (Ref:2611158)   #10
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
They should race on at least two different countries. I read somewhere that the AsLMS organisers liked the partnership with the WTCC - I wouldn't mind them visiting both Okayama (October 31) and Suzuka.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2611164)   #11
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I've recetnly had an itch to jump on the ACO website and then later, the actually Asian Le Mans Series website and yet, there hasn't really been much updates on exactly what is to take place in 2010 other than that it will take place. No venues confirmed, no participants either(but that will most likely not be the case as the year progresses). So, basically I'm hoping that any kind member on the forum would fill us in on the ALMS for 2010.

Maybe there will be something soon, but I would not expect anything for quite some time.
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108974

L.P.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 04:19 (Ref:2611385)   #12
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
As I wrote in a different topic ACO can't organize a race in China, the biggest Asian market for car manufacturers. So they will have to go to Japan again. If they want to expand to two or three rounds, they have to do a double in Japan or go to Middle East (and call it Asia!).
Old 11 Jan 2010, 09:29 (Ref:2611481)   #13
dsegs
Rookie

European Union
Delft, NL
dsegs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but why can't they organise a race in China?
Old 11 Jan 2010, 09:38 (Ref:2611487)   #14
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Echoing the question re China is the actual reason -
- There are regulatory issues stopping them raising in the PRC (IMO unlikely)?
- Circuits in China are overtly unwilling to hold a long distance sportscar race?
- Teams have been unwilling to go?
- Up to now they have not held a race there?

If the point is that the ACO has, thus far, not successfully run a race in China then fair enough. If it's more profound I'd be interested in more details about what might be going on here.

I don't think they need to go all the way to the Middle East (which geographically if nothing else is still undeniably Asia) to find non Japanese tracks either - Malaysia could do a perfectly decent job here.

Finally - the Asian series has one key advantage over the abortive JLMC - it has auto invites to Le Mans - this, combined with the ACO helping with freight, makes a Japan only series perfectly feasible in the short term, and by not being regionally specific in the name keeps the door open to races elsewhere.

Last edited by isynge; 11 Jan 2010 at 09:38. Reason: punctuation
Old 11 Jan 2010, 11:57 (Ref:2611559)   #15
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Easy reply: there are no tracks for Le Mans Series in China.
Chengdu is too bumpy, Beijing is too rusty, Guanzhou is too small, Zhuhai is too complicated (crap management), and it's impossible for a western organisation to held a race in Shanghai F1 track (you can't afford the rent, that's it).

Sepang would be a good shot.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 14:14 (Ref:2611636)   #16
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Australia, anybody?
Old 11 Jan 2010, 14:20 (Ref:2611640)   #17
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Easy reply: there are no tracks for Le Mans Series in China.
Chengdu is too bumpy, Beijing is too rusty, Guanzhou is too small, Zhuhai is too complicated (crap management), and it's impossible for a western organisation to held a race in Shanghai F1 track (you can't afford the rent, that's it).

Sepang would be a good shot.
If Ratel could set up a race for FIA-GT in China, I see no reason ACO can't do the same for Asian LM series unless they just don't want to negotiate.

DK
Old 11 Jan 2010, 14:50 (Ref:2611671)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The issue with Middle East and Australian circuits is travel costs for Japanese teams. Sepang and Shanghai are much closer and cheaper to go to.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2612141)   #19
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
The issue with Middle East and Australian circuits is travel costs for Japanese teams. Sepang and Shanghai are much closer and cheaper to go to.
Yes, and Sepang and Shanghai have lots or lovely empty grandstands.

In Australia, some of the money could be recoupirated through marketing and gate fees from spectators.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2612147)   #20
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Well that's a not expected arrogant comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
If Ratel could set up a race for FIA-GT in China, I see no reason ACO can't do the same for Asian LM series unless they just don't want to negotiate.

DK
Ratel was paid to organise the FIAGT race at Zhuhai. As soon as Zhuhai Government pull out the plug the Chinese race was done.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 15:03 (Ref:2612201)   #21
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
I bet so, Gingers4Justice. It's matter of balance between investment and return. I'd love a Phillip Island Le Mans race, since it's the fastest top-grande track around there.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 15:03 (Ref:2612202)   #22
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sepang and Suzuka would be my preference for AsLMS.

Sepang is a genuinely great facility with a good track. It's adjacent to one of the best international airports and KL's cool.

Ben
Old 13 Jan 2010, 08:45 (Ref:2612604)   #23
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neither FIA GT nor AsLMS can expect to get paid by the govt to race in Zhuhai, nor anywhere else in China for that matter, but the management at Zhuhai is not exactly crap.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2612715)   #24
Parramatta_Power
Rookie

Australia
You Know, You Know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
Neither FIA GT nor AsLMS can expect to get paid by the govt to race in Zhuhai, nor anywhere else in China for that matter, but the management at Zhuhai is not exactly crap.
Not Totally Crap is right but based on the some of the attitudes of our fellow members on the forum, kind of dodgy and stone-headed. Either way, China despite the co-current administration issues, has to be on the cards for the Asian LM Series. Middle East would be a struggle for East Asian teams in terms of travel should the FIA no longer pay for freight travel but most of the teams in the Asian LM Series at the moment are from Europe anyway.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 13:03 (Ref:2612719)   #25
Parramatta_Power
Rookie

Australia
You Know, You Know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Australia, anybody?
Brings back that "Race of a Millions Years" debacle... I remember they cut the race short an hour of two from New Years Day or 12 a.m.(Midnight). Organizers in Australia would need to get their act together(Hospitality, Profitability, Making sure the event goes off with minimal glitches). Believe me, I would love to watch a Sports Car Race at Phillip Island, Sounds mouth watering already or better yet, going to a Asian LM Series Event at Eastern Creek Raceway.