Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Sep 2003, 11:43 (Ref:710749)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ALMS makes another convert

This week I sent a brand new correspondent to Laguna Seca to cover the race -- she's from Vancouver and was able to go, but had never attended a sports car race and knew nothing about sports cars when she started out. She's been covering CART for years and expected ALMS to be the same.

ALMS provided a textbook called "Sports Car 101" which explained clearly with photos and illustrations how the series works, and she studied hard before she went -- and when she arrived with interviews set up by me, she found a welcome she had never anticipated. The guys at Peterson Motorsport/White Lightning, particularly their PR guy Tom, took the time to explain the series to her and give her background on not only their team but the series, and Tom actually gave her a tour of the pitlane and explained the classes of cars and who was who. Same for the guys at Carsport America; not only did they get her an interview with one of their drivers, but they took time to explain to her what they were doing and about the series in general. She was totally blown away by the amount of access she is given, by the lack of hassle by the hierarchy as regards access (particularly to the podium and the best photography areas) and the general hospitality and friendliness of everyone from the campsite to the top of the pyramid.

She's now an enthusiastic convert to sports car racing and plans to go back to Laguna next year and if possible to attend other races == and to follow the series in the media. And she's definitely going to Le Mans.

The ALMS is not only "for the fans" -- it's for the media too! Compared to CART, the ALMS has got it right.

P.S. Visit our website www.rfmsports.com to see what she's been doing! (End of shameless plug)
Old 7 Sep 2003, 12:44 (Ref:710835)   #2
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Another member at the Ten-Tenths' forum !
Old 7 Sep 2003, 14:51 (Ref:710896)   #3
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great coverage! I like her style - she learns fast.

A shameless request - any chance she could stop by the Pratt & Miller Corvette garage and find out which two of these 3 C5R's are running at Laguna?

C5R-008 Race #4 (Wrecked at Mosport)
C5R-009 Race #3 since Le Mans
C5R-010 Race #4 (Pressed into service at Road America)

Thanks,
David
C5-R Information
Old 7 Sep 2003, 17:52 (Ref:711034)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I passed on your question to her and will convey her reply if I get one.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 18:29 (Ref:711058)   #5
Liz
Veteran

She reported 8 and 9. Source: a mechanic at Corvette.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 21:16 (Ref:711186)   #6
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great work - give her my regards,
David

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?
Old 7 Sep 2003, 22:53 (Ref:711261)   #7
vwpilot
Racer

vwpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing against the work that Liz is doing, but you could have known that answer a couple days ago here.

http://www.speedarena.com/artman/pub...cle_3331.shtml

Last edited by vwpilot; 7 Sep 2003 at 22:57.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 16:20 (Ref:712023)   #8
Liz
Veteran

If you had known where to look.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 00:56 (Ref:712542)   #9
the Farouk
Rookie

the Farouk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got my first photo crediential for the race and I got great access. I also realized that most of the access is only about 20% better than what a normal fan gets, which is top notch.

Ive been a fan since the start and the normal fan gets more access than any other races series.