Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 May 2010, 07:35 (Ref:2696942)   #201
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
In a perfect world!
Pigs flying unless you chuck a few out.
Old 24 May 2010, 07:41 (Ref:2696948)   #202
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Terry I agree with your theory - so when Whizzo Williams says the rules need to be changed to allow slow cars penalised or be allowed to be overtaken he is in dream land and the rules stay as they are?
Old 24 May 2010, 07:42 (Ref:2696949)   #203
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or a really good Race Control Team.
Old 24 May 2010, 09:08 (Ref:2696990)   #204
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRACER View Post
It doesn't need multiple pace cars, pace cars remaining on track as the race starts or any other odd rule.
Paul,

I think there is a difference between rolling starts in relatively equal fields (all cars with nominally the same power and handling characteristics and/or Pro/Semi-pro driver type events) and the sort of mix one gets in many Historic club races. And that seems to be the present problem.

Perhaps there is a 'training' or 'Re-orientation' period required until people become familiar with them, the procedures are refined and the process becomes second nature. It may take a while especially when a few drivers participate rarely.

The multiple pace car suggestion was not intended to be permanent. Just something to consider whilst the learning process is underway. A training aid if you will.
Old 24 May 2010, 09:43 (Ref:2697013)   #205
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Grant the first paragraph is spot on - ultimately it relies on the front cars "playing the game" after the pace car has pulled off
Old 24 May 2010, 10:00 (Ref:2697021)   #206
james s
Rookie

United Kingdom
Alton,Hants
james s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been on the second row for this race i can assure you it was a very well controlled start, perfect formation and speed, i think i was in 3rd gear only around woodcote and i reckon full throttle about 30 yards before the lights.There was no"playing the game" going on as i remember.
Old 24 May 2010, 10:07 (Ref:2697027)   #207
simon drabble
Veteran

James see post 198 - I agree with you but as SAMD said the problem normally starts a few more rows behind yours - consider it a post B8 issue!!
Old 24 May 2010, 10:15 (Ref:2697032)   #208
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Firstly, let's get our terminology right. The leading car for a rolling start is the PACE CAR - and in Europe, they actually call it the 'leading car' - in English - or at least they do in France. Belgium, Holland and Germany.
The SAFETY CAR is used to neutralise the race, once started, for safety reasons. Sometimes, it's the same car, sometimes, because of the layout of the circuit, it's not.....but for the purposes of the start procedure it's the PACE CAR
Secondly, the rules for rolling starts are quite simple and are explained at every drivers briefing. If you don't understand them ask.....and then if you still don't understand them, ask again - it's what we're here for!
Break the rules and you take your chances, sometimes, like empty speed cameras or a traffic cop, looking the other way, you get away with it.....but don't complain if you don't. Simples!
See - I can be even more grumpy than John Ruston
Old 24 May 2010, 13:12 (Ref:2697167)   #209
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
Break the rules and you take your chances, sometimes, like empty speed cameras or a traffic cop, looking the other way, you get away with it.....but don't complain if you don't. Simples!
See - I can be even more grumpy than John Ruston

IMO This is an accurate summation.
Old 24 May 2010, 13:14 (Ref:2697169)   #210
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not the very last bit!, the bit before it, but not the first bit which I didn't quote. ooooooooooooohh
Old 24 May 2010, 13:15 (Ref:2697170)   #211
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Aaaaaaaah, Cantonaaaaaa!
Old 24 May 2010, 13:20 (Ref:2697172)   #212
SAMD
Veteran

Old 24 May 2010, 13:28 (Ref:2697176)   #213
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I think I've lost the plot now

......and no slap for going off thread Mr T? You're slipping
Old 24 May 2010, 15:03 (Ref:2697238)   #214
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRACER View Post
......It would just be up to the drivers to use their brains......
Ah, I think I've spotted a flaw in your argument
Old 24 May 2010, 16:52 (Ref:2697301)   #215
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
I think I've lost the plot now

......and no slap for going off thread Mr T? You're slipping

Not much change there then!
Old 24 May 2010, 19:31 (Ref:2697405)   #216
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You all went off topic ages ago; we had a thread on rolling starts very recently.

Now what about this meeting, especially on the Sunday. Anymore pics?
Old 24 May 2010, 20:04 (Ref:2697428)   #217
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Aaaaaaaah, Cantonaaaaaa!
Off topic what are you talking about here then John. BTW its Oooooo Aaaaaaa Cantona.
Old 24 May 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2697475)   #218
SAMD
Veteran

Go back a post Iain
Old 24 May 2010, 21:39 (Ref:2697502)   #219
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
Not the very last bit!, the bit before it, but not the first bit which I didn't quote. ooooooooooooohh
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Aaaaaaaah, Cantonaaaaaa!
Old 25 May 2010, 08:24 (Ref:2697663)   #220
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Dear old Iain, bless him!
Old 25 May 2010, 18:09 (Ref:2698061)   #221
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Not sure what ive missed but never mind. John do you fancy a trip over too Henley on Thames June 12th/13th. Terrance is comming and Mike Bell. You could hitch a lift.