Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One > Predictions Contest & Fun

Old 14 Oct 2002, 19:04 (Ref:404122)   #26
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good job R!

26th and 30th, not that bad.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 20:06 (Ref:404169)   #27
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Number Juan
so hang on...is the maximum amount of points for winning the world championship prediction 10 points? cos i got 10 points if it is.
Maximum number of points for WDC predictions is 12 points. No one managed 12 points, or 11, but you, along with several others, achieved 10 points.

Also, thanks for all the kind words from so many. Bononi's software made it very easy to run the competition, and the work I did do was very enjoyable. What I will wish however, is for next season to throw up some more variety in the results, to make the predictions more interesting and diversified. And, perhaps I will compete next season.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 20:20 (Ref:404188)   #28
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm thinking of that too, R... anyway I'll PM you with some ideas...
Old 14 Oct 2002, 23:43 (Ref:404352)   #29
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If I only hadn't forgotten about it until round3, an missed at least one other round, maybe I could've hit the top 10. Still, I'll see you in 2003, hopefully the results won't be so predictable.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 00:17 (Ref:404362)   #30
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My congratulations to the winners as well. I played faves a couple of times, and it cost me, but it was fun nonetheless. Thanks to R for running the show....I certainly know whose picks to study next season!

As for suggestions, how about adding a "guess the pole time?", for a bonus point or two.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 09:47 (Ref:404606)   #31
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bugger! I emailed a certain fan of Minardi to ask him to post my predictions for me, guess he never got my email. Still, never mind, still beat him
Old 15 Oct 2002, 09:49 (Ref:404609)   #32
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Not hard to beat a guy that picked a Minardi 1-2 at every race
Old 15 Oct 2002, 11:03 (Ref:404697)   #33
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
D'''uuuuuhhhhh!!! Actually my last prediction which was absolutely fabulous (and if it came true it would have been an Internet legend) could strike one of the 2 goals: Either win the competition or become the first prediction ever that scored a zero points!!!! Dammit, I failed both of them!!! I scored 1 point!!!!

Many thanks R, and congrats to the winners. But be very much afraid, next year I'm winning it. I mean it!

Old 15 Oct 2002, 14:33 (Ref:404929)   #34
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THESE RESULTS!!! I MISSED A RACE AND IT WASN'T MY FAULT!!! BAH!!!!!

But seriously, cheers R.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 17:40 (Ref:405065)   #35
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a suggestion for scoring next year. (This is how a few other sites on the Internet do it; it's a more fine-tuned scoring system, and allows extra points for accuracy, which might make things more interesting.)

Scoring:

You score points for each race based on how well your picks match the actual race results. For each driver that you picked, you score points based on where the driver finished versus where you predicted he'd finish:

didn't finish in the top 6: 0 points
finished exactly where predicted: 10 points
finished 1 place off from where predicted: 6 points
finished 2 places off from where predicted: 4 points
finished 3 places off from where predicted: 3 points
finished 4 places off from where predicted: 2 points
finished 5 places off from where predicted: 1 point

For example, if you picked Villeneuve to come in 3rd and he did finish 3rd, you'd score 10 points, but if he finished 5th, you'd score 4 points. If he finished 7th, you'd score 0 points.

Your total score for a race is the sum of the points scored for each driver in your pick.

Picks may be carried over for one race

If you fail to send in a pick for a race, or if your pick arrives too late to be counted, your pick for the last race will be used again, but it will only be carried over once (so if you fail to enter a pick for race #3, race #2's pick will be used, but if you fail to enter again, race #2's pick will not be used for race #4).
Old 15 Oct 2002, 17:46 (Ref:405071)   #36
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a good competition and provided some interest in an otherwise boring season.

36th with an average of 5.8 points per race. And I missed 4 races. Not bad.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 20:13 (Ref:405158)   #37
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Congratulations to all winners!
Thanks R, Great job!

Where am I .. 56th?? always the worst at predictions
Old 16 Oct 2002, 05:50 (Ref:405423)   #38
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Yes eatapc, I like that! I believe there's plenty of time and we can comeup with even more ideas. For example: Finished 1 place off might be improved a bit:
Predicted 1 finished 2 - 6 points (or something)
Predicted 5 finished 6 - 3 points (I guess that finishing a place off the first weighs more than a 6).
Predicted 5 finished 6 - 4 points etc...
Old 16 Oct 2002, 06:46 (Ref:405436)   #39
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah, Tristan, you pressed the "back" button in stead of "submit". But, look on the bright side - you wouldn't have won anyway.

eatapc's suggestion is definitely worth noting. If a driver you picked for 2nd finishes 3rd, then you have definitely made a better prediction than if he finishes 6th, so perhaps this also should be reflected in the scoring. One other thing I notice, is that eatapc's suggestion provides us with the Formula One way of scoring, with points distributed being 10,6,4,3,2,1.

I'm not a big fan of carrying over picks, but if many are in favour of this - and provided we keep it limited to a couple of times per season max. - then we will consider it, provided this can be handled in the software. And Red, I think I understand the basic principle of your suggestion, though I think you made a typo in your post (you have "predicted 5 finished 6" twice).

Last edited by R; 16 Oct 2002 at 06:48.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 10:02 (Ref:405527)   #40
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
ok, wanted to say "predict 5 finished 4," for the second of them...ops: The exact amount of points can be discussed....
Old 16 Oct 2002, 11:31 (Ref:405607)   #41
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uhn... still think that if you didn't make your entry you can't compete...not fair with others.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 13:35 (Ref:405740)   #42
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Yeah. You've gotta make the effort if you want to do well, even if your 6 drivers would be from Ferrari, Williams and McLaren anyway.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 13:50 (Ref:405751)   #43
eatapc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Kex
Yeah. You've gotta make the effort if you want to do well....
But we should make allowances for an isolated failure to enter in order to keep people in the contest. We're all human, and we're all busy, and sometimes we forget important things. Furthermore, "stuff" happens: computer or ISP goes down just before the deadline; car or train breaks down and you get home too late; you get stuck in a meeting or a class or the mall; you go away on vacation and belatedly discover that you have no access to the Internet; etc.

I hate to see people drop out or lose interest because they accidentally failed to enter one time.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 14:25 (Ref:405776)   #44
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Hey eatapc ! Your speech sounds like : "Come on, give the guys a chance ! Let's see if they can beat me !"

Following the "ballast" idea, as the reigning champion you will start with -10 points for next season !
Old 16 Oct 2002, 15:31 (Ref:405807)   #45
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Quote:
Originally posted by eatapc
Furthermore, "stuff" happens: computer or ISP goes down just before the deadline; car or train breaks down and you get home too late; you get stuck in a meeting or a class or the mall; you go away on vacation and belatedly discover that you have no access to the Internet; etc.
I see your point, but then again a person doesn't have to wait until Friday night/Saturday morning before they do their predictions. There's ample time to do them really. OK there might be a few people who can't predict until Friday night, but for the majority....
Old 16 Oct 2002, 19:35 (Ref:405998)   #46
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let It Be

For whatever it's worth, I don't think we should fine tune the scoring to much. The humble pick six for the race finish with the one or two point scoring has stood the test of time. What I would suggest is picking the first six qualifiers the same way we now pick the race finish. This is easier to do - at least the scores seem to come out higher for the qualifying - but adds to the overall fun IMHO.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 19:55 (Ref:406009)   #47
eatapc
Veteran

I don't buy it

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxmil
The humble pick six for the race finish with the one or two point scoring has stood the test of time. What I would suggest is picking the first six qualifiers the same way we now pick the race finish.
I don't think the "test of time" argument carries much weight in this case. There are many other sites on the Internet that have bigger and more popular F1 prediction contests, and they don't use our "humble" system.

Our system is simple to score, but that's all. With a computer program, a more complicated but fair system can be implemented.

As far as giving equal weight to qualifying -- I don't think so. There are no points for qualifying in F1, and the results tend to be more predictable anyway.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 20:38 (Ref:406036)   #48
R
Veteran

The future of the competition was very much in the blue after Gerard became unavailable, and what we decided - with very little time to spare - was to keep the same rules as he had introduced, the only alteration being the introduction of a point for pole. We even kept the same end of season rules, which in reality gave us two competition results. One thing we have decided already - no matter which format this competition takes on for next year - is to make sure we end up with one winner, and one winner only. So we'll need some rules to separate the competitors in case of a tie.

So soon after the season has finished, we have not yet had much time to discuss alterations to our current format. But we have a lot of time now to consider this, and in the mean time, constructive feedback is always welcome.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 15:29 (Ref:408555)   #49
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R (and anyone who also might have noticed!!): pretty good tactic, huh?? Every two weeks.... POST THE SAME!!!

Pole TGF

1. TGF
2. Rubens
3. JPM
4. Ralf
5. DC
6. Kimi.

AND IT WORKED!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!
Old 23 Oct 2002, 10:27 (Ref:411059)   #50
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Congrats Valve, I guess you voted red...

So what does Valve get a Ferrari or something?

I know, you get to watch all this years races back to back on one continuous tape. Until the beginning of March next year.