Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 7 Jan 2003, 00:00 (Ref:465855)   #1
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Otto Merz

My main interest being in postwar racing, I only recently came across this name - sounds like he must have had quite a life till that fateful day in 1933 when he perished on the Avus. He won the inaugural race on the Nürburgring, and 13 years before that, was the chauffeur - or at least one of the chauffeurs - of the Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand (who appropriately was shot in his car).
Can anybody tell me more about this man, or refer me to useful other sources?
Old 1 Sep 2003, 20:34 (Ref:705082)   #2
Karolingerheinz
Rookie

Karolingerheinz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hallo,
in der Angelegenheit "Otto Merz" könnten Sie sich an das Archiv der Daimler-Benz AG wenden. Dort gibt es Ordner auch über Rennfahrer der 20er- und 30er Jahre. Vielleicht können Ihnen die Herrschaften dort weiterhelfen.
Mit freundlichem Gruß
Old 1 Sep 2003, 23:52 (Ref:705216)   #3
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You couldn't possibly translate that into English could you? My German is somewhat lacking!!
Old 2 Sep 2003, 13:37 (Ref:705699)   #4
Karolingerheinz
Rookie

Karolingerheinz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello,
Translation is no problem!
Otto Merz was a famous driver in the Golden Twenties of the last century. He drove very often Mercedes-Benz and therefore one can write to the archive of Daimler-Benz at Stuttgart-Untertürkheim. In the archive they have material about every famous racing-driver, who drove racing-cars of Mercedes-Benz.
But it can take a lot of time till the answer will come. You know: Much work, less people to do the work!
Another possibility would be to go personally into the archive. But one must have a registration from the people in the archive.
You can phone or e-mail or you can write.
Best wishes to you
Old 2 Sep 2003, 18:45 (Ref:705942)   #5
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for your efforts!