Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Sep 2004, 13:15 (Ref:1094007)   #1
AndyP MyCo
Rookie

United Kingdom
on an Event Horizon somewhere....
AndyP MyCo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Italy GP Alonso's off/ Marshal intervention???

Hi there, I wonder if anyone, especially anyone who has a definitive correct answer (or even a BLUE BOOK owner!!), to what should have happened regarding the Alonso spin at Monza this weekend Sun12 sept.
Alonso spun entering an 'S' bend (unsure of its name!) and ended up beached half in (back end) and half out of gravel, nose facing oncoming traffic (at speed), obviously in a very dangerous position, BUT, with engine still running, Alonso wanted a push!!
TV commentry said that it warranted a push from the marshals, but I wonder what you all may think about this, were the marshals correct to tell Alonso "NO (no push), out of the car" and then the snatch vehicle removed the car.
The marshals were on the relatively safe side of the car.

Hope someone could answer this one!
Old 12 Sep 2004, 14:55 (Ref:1094089)   #2
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They should have done the same thing as was done for MS at last years German GP, and pushed him. Going by what the commentators where saying, as he had kept the engine running, and was in a dangerous position he was right to want to be pushed out.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 15:21 (Ref:1094114)   #3
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AndyP, the blue book does not cover FIA events, you need the yellow book (I think it is called).

Personally I would of given him a shove, less work than winching his car off the track and less time spent exposed to danger.

If the rulebook says he should of retired and you gave him a push out of the gravel the answer then would be the black flag.

Of course it shouldn't of come to that, as he shouldn't be in the gravel in the first place.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 15:26 (Ref:1094118)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
should clearly have been pushed - the marshals were in error
Old 12 Sep 2004, 15:29 (Ref:1094122)   #5
Neil Warland
Rookie

England
Woking, Surrey
Neil Warland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, because the car was only half in the gravel, I would have given him a shove. Any further in, and you'd never have got it out. The rest would be up to the stewards to decide.

The only other consideration was that Alonso would have had to cross the track or do a 180 in order to rejoin - quite a dangerous manouvre, blind around the corner.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 15:46 (Ref:1094139)   #6
F1JordanUk
Racer

England
Stroud, Gloucester, UK
F1JordanUk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should have been a shove in my oppinion, It would have been far quicker and safer than snatching it afterwards.
If the FIA thought otherwise they could have just black flagged him afterwards
Old 12 Sep 2004, 15:52 (Ref:1094149)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was correct not to push him.

That would have been a dangerous place to rejoin - and he was most of the way into the gravel.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 16:36 (Ref:1094185)   #8
F1JordanUk
Racer

England
Stroud, Gloucester, UK
But they could have easily used the gap between the Ferrari's and the rest of the grid as a safe place to rejoin!
Old 12 Sep 2004, 19:23 (Ref:1094348)   #9
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its easy to comment on a situation when you look at it on tv. I would have said push him out of the gravel, but with the kerbing that he was beached on it may not have been possible. That and the fact he is not in a Ferrari or Italian.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 13:11 (Ref:1095141)   #10
aprescott
Racer

United Kingdom
At a computer in Hampsire!!
aprescott has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
At the end of the day it was a judgement call of the marshals there, not the ones sitting on the sofa. If I had been there I think a push would have been in order.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 13:27 (Ref:1095160)   #11
Micky.H
Racer

England
A Little Town In East Yorks
Micky.H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With it being F1, was it more the judgement of race control rather than the marshals?
Old 13 Sep 2004, 17:42 (Ref:1095438)   #12
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it had been Silverstone it would have been down to race control and the I/O. But I would have not pushed him out even if I had been ordered to by race control. Thats what you have snatch for to get them out of the gravel. They shouldnt get in there if they want to race.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 17:55 (Ref:1095456)   #13
F1JordanUk
Racer

England
Stroud, Gloucester, UK
It's not about whose Job it is, it's about the quickest and safest way to remove the danger
Lee
Old 13 Sep 2004, 18:13 (Ref:1095478)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The back of the car was well beached, especially after he'd spun the wheels and dropped the bottom of the car onto the gravel. In addition, it would have needed to be pushed over the kerb, and it was clear that it was greater than the ride height as the underside hit it on the way over. It would have been exceptionally difficult to move the car with the driver in it, in addition to which they would have been pushing it into the path of oncoming traffic which they couldn't properly see (at very high approach speed). The right decision was made in my opinion.
Old 15 Sep 2004, 07:43 (Ref:1097002)   #15
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso has probably watched the incident by now and may well agree it was the right thing to do. At the time he'd have been full of adrenaline and wouldn't be thinking "is it safe to get a push", but more like "####! get me on the track NOW!" Its natural for a driver to want to continue, even if he has 3 wheels on the car (Mr Gronholm....) and it's up to us to be more rational and decide what the safest course of action is.

Under a safety car it would have been fine to try and push him, but under yellows only it was too dangerous. Bear in mind also that it's the same corner that a marshal died at a few years back...
Old 15 Sep 2004, 08:40 (Ref:1097030)   #16
NiG_21
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepperton, Middlesex
NiG_21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Warland
Personally, because the car was only half in the gravel, I would have given him a shove.
You need to watch the replay again. You'll see he barely had a single wheel on the circuit and the rest are firmly in the gravel. :confused:

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Warland
Any further in, and you'd never have got it out.
So you answered your own question there.
Old 15 Sep 2004, 18:19 (Ref:1097508)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
...with a kerb in front that was higher than the ground clearance of the car. You could see that as it went over on the way in - bounce, bounce, SCraaaPpe, bounce, stop. Spin, spin, spin again for good luck, sunk. Then he asks for a push...

Maybe another good reason for drivers to spend a day on the bank?
Old 15 Sep 2004, 18:32 (Ref:1097520)   #18
F1JordanUk
Racer

England
Stroud, Gloucester, UK
What they need is hydraulic suspension!! (Citroen style)
Old 16 Sep 2004, 20:31 (Ref:1098708)   #19
tangoed sparky
Racer

England
DERBY
tangoed sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the reason that I am not that bothered about becoming an IO. Every body has an opinion and there will always be some body to pick fault!!!! I dare say that race control had told the IO to leave it there and get the driver out. The snatch vehicle was very quickly scrambled which is always done by race control. Those that have marshaled a GP will know that all IO's have radios and you can not usualy f**t with out race controls say so.
Old 16 Sep 2004, 21:21 (Ref:1098759)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
"Marshal to Race Control: permission to eat pork pie, please?"
Old 16 Sep 2004, 23:09 (Ref:1098824)   #21
SJC-214
Racer

SJC-214 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking as an IO I think you need to take a wider view. If there was a safe gap in the traffic (which you could not see from the TV coverage) and it was safe for the marshals to have an attempt at pushing it out then they should have done so. It would have been perfectly legal as Alonso had kept the engine running and the marshals where simply removing it from a potentially dangerous position.

However, if in the Marshals opinion it was not safe for whatever reason then they did the right thing, after all the Marshals safety is the most important consideration here.

Its easy to be critical of others when your watching it from the safety of your arm chair.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 14:12 (Ref:1101057)   #22
deebrief
Rookie

England
Haddenham
deebrief should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Difficult decision, but even if it had been possible to push him back onto the track, it was a blind corner and after the push you as the marshal are a target until you reach the safety area again behind the barriers.
Therefore no, bring in the snatch equipment.