Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 May 2005, 00:42 (Ref:1298797)   #1
groupnxu1
Rookie

groupnxu1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Info Needed EX HDT Group A?

Guy's your help is needed on this one.

Does anybody know the history on the John Farrell car in this photo taken at Wanneroo in 1988 the story told so far was that the car was originally built by HDT Racing in 1986 for Farrell and was sent to WA, HDT were then short of a car for the oversea's race's and leased the car back from Farrell not sure if this car was sent oversea's or if it was possibly used in Australia? when John got the car back from HDT it had been updated to VL, hence the VK Mobil colour scheme.

The only other VL to have this paint scheme was the Rothmans VL before it was purchased by Moffat.

I have seen a photo taken from Bathurst in 1986 of a VL in the VK colours on display and it was a VK to VL update for sure as it still had the VK dash in it, that makes me think that it is the Farrell car as the Rothmans car was a dedicated VL.

Your thoughts

Old 12 May 2005, 02:11 (Ref:1298819)   #2
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was an updated VK used as a test car in late 1986... there was an article in (IIRC) Car Australia... there was a line of chaps had a run in it... Harves was one of the guys who did laps... think it was at Calder... might be the one?

Harves, are you up on where that car ended up?
Old 12 May 2005, 04:24 (Ref:1298854)   #3
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just checked my results sheet for 1987 and I have Farrell's Commodore listed as a VK at Wanneroo, and as a VL at the AGP support race. I'll check the 87 review tape for you.
Old 12 May 2005, 05:10 (Ref:1298858)   #4
groupnxu1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
Just checked my results sheet for 1987 and I have Farrell's Commodore listed as a VK at Wanneroo, and as a VL at the AGP support race. I'll check the 87 review tape for you.

Thanks William Dale Jr,

I noticed the same for Wanneroo in 1987 in the Holden Racing History Book.

any info would be fantastic as a mate has just purchased the car and he spoke with Farrell the other day and was told the story above.

So we are just trying to compile as much information that we can.
Old 12 May 2005, 05:54 (Ref:1298869)   #5
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Farrell had a bit to do with HDT in those days, Did he puchase the 84 Bathurst winning VK off them before he sold it on to the Poms?
Old 12 May 2005, 06:00 (Ref:1298871)   #6
groupnxu1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group'C'
John Farrell had a bit to do with HDT in those days, Did he puchase the 84 Bathurst winning VK off them before he sold it on to the Poms?
Hi Group C,

Yes John did purchase one of the Group C VK's from HDT but as to it being 05 or 25 it is any ones guess, I personally feel it was the 25 car from what i have heard from team members that were there at time but who know's, i guess all that we can safely say is that both cars still exist!!!!!
Old 12 May 2005, 06:08 (Ref:1298876)   #7
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Yes thats right ,
but I believe the other way from what I was told by an ex HDT man.
I dont think Peter Champion would have spent all that money if it wasn't the car.

But we could go on for days with that won.

Did you end up selling the Gerald Kay car ?
Old 12 May 2005, 06:09 (Ref:1298877)   #8
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by groupnxu1
Hi Group C,

Yes John did purchase one of the Group C VK's from HDT but as to it being 05 or 25 it is any ones guess, I personally feel it was the 25 car from what i have heard from team members that were there at time but who know's, i guess all that we can safely say is that both cars still exist!!!!!
This one's been debated frequently since Peter Champion unveiled his restored GP.C VK... apparently his car, featured in AMC mag #18, was the 1984 Bathurst winner, which passed through Mr Farrell's hands, into Mr Cleland's hands... and the car in the Bathurst museum (which had always been identified as the Bathurst winner) is apparently the second-placed 25 car, with the livery re-touched. While evidently Mr Brock has verified Champion's car as the real deal, I haven't seen anyone confirm it via chassis no etc.....
Old 12 May 2005, 06:12 (Ref:1298880)   #9
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Only way to really tell is to have the original entry form from ARDC, which if it's like the records here in Tassie there long gone
Old 12 May 2005, 06:38 (Ref:1298895)   #10
groupnxu1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group'C'
Yes thats right ,
but I believe the other way from what I was told by an ex HDT man.
I dont think Peter Champion would have spent all that money if it wasn't the car.

But we could go on for days with that won.

Did you end up selling the Gerald Kay car ?
I sold the Kay car to a guy here in Vic about 12 months ago
Old 12 May 2005, 08:22 (Ref:1298954)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Farrell's car used at Wanneroo in 1987 was cosmetically a VL, underneath as far as i know it was all VK.
Old 12 May 2005, 08:49 (Ref:1298978)   #12
jiminee
Racer

jiminee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was also keen to find just which '84 Bathurst car was which, so I hunted down Larry Perkins at the Adelaide 500 and I do mean hunted, his team was at the other end of the pits and it took me three days to find him, but I did get to ask him and got a very thorough answer, with a great story to go with it, which I really wish I had on tape, as it was a bit tricky to keep up. Anyway he was generous enough to pass on his version of the truth and I walked away very happy, though he did ask that the answer not be passed on as there is obviously a lot of money at stake, but it ws one time that I was glad my own opinion was wrong!