Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Aug 2008, 21:58 (Ref:2268112)   #1
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supertouring Classic race in 2009

I have been reading recently about the proposed SuperTouring race planned to take place at the Sliverstone Classic over the weekend of July 24-26 2009.
http://www.silverstoneclassic.com/news/news.asp?nid=51

Already there are a number of interested owners of the cars from the 1990's.
http://www.supertouringregister.com/Silverstone09.php

And they are still working on getting other cars to the event.

I think that potentionally this may be the best race of 2009.

AND it doesn't clash with any other Touring car race!
Old 12 Aug 2008, 22:04 (Ref:2268117)   #2
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Danish driver I know, has the ex-Johnny Cecotto BMW E36 STW. Sadly he has been forced to set it up for sale, but I will try to cheer him to come.

IF it hasnt been sold, and IF we can find the finances for the trip..
Old 12 Aug 2008, 22:14 (Ref:2268124)   #3
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
A Danish driver I know, has the ex-Johnny Cecotto BMW E36 STW. Sadly he has been forced to set it up for sale, but I will try to cheer him to come.

IF it hasnt been sold, and IF we can find the finances for the trip..
IF you are interested... follow the link on this page.. http://www.supertouringregister.com/Silverstone09.php

There are no BMW's listed yet!
Old 12 Aug 2008, 22:28 (Ref:2268130)   #4
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I might just cross the channel for this one if my finances allow me next year Never saw the ST's in action (except for the famous STW BMW 320 in the Dutch Supercar Challenge) so don't want to miss this opportunity.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 22:39 (Ref:2268132)   #5
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
I might just cross the channel for this one if my finances allow me next year Never saw the ST's in action (except for the famous STW BMW 320 in the Dutch Supercar Challenge) so don't want to miss this opportunity.
Especially as they are trying to get some of the original drivers back in their cars.

Imagine.....
Biela back in an Audi.
Tarquini back in his Alfa.
Cleland back in a Vauxhall.
Rydell back in a Volvo.
Menu back in a Renault.
Winkelhock back in a BMW.
Aiello back in a Nissan... he did it at Goodwood this year..

Booked your ticket yet?
Old 12 Aug 2008, 23:00 (Ref:2268139)   #6
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDS
Especially as they are trying to get some of the original drivers back in their cars.

Imagine.....
Biela back in an Audi.
Rydell back in a Volvo.
Menu back in a Renault.

Booked your ticket yet?
I can talk to Aiello, if you want..?

Just need to know, if any of the other stars will turn up. He will ask me that..

Last edited by Aslak Vind; 12 Aug 2008 at 23:07.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 07:53 (Ref:2268298)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDS
Aiello's car, but it was Anthony Reid driving it as he has done several times before. I would be very surprised if it was anyone other than Reid in it at Silverstone.

Biela regularly drives an Audi at Goodwood. I think there's a good chance there will be an official Audi presence, hopefully with Biela driving.

The cars are available for Cleland and Rouse, it will depend if the drivers are available.

Hopefully Jan Nilsson and maybe another ex-Volvo driver. Not strictly BTCC but deserving of a place on the wish list.

With a couple of exceptions the entry list on that page is made up of UK based drivers. The purpose of that page is to drum up some more support, especially from international entries. Hopefully there should be some more from Europe and a couple of Serbian teams to come.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 08:44 (Ref:2268314)   #8
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDS

Imagine.....
Biela back in an Audi.
Rydell back in a Volvo.
Menu back in a Renault.

Booked your ticket yet?
Would SEAT and Chevrolet be happy with their drivers coming here and driving other manufacturers cars in this race. I hope it doesn't happen, but the contracts could get in the way. Muller and Thompson were'nt even allowed in the masters race cos' they were SEAT's.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2268428)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb
Muller and Thompson were'nt even allowed in the masters race cos' they were SEAT's.
That was somewhat different in that the Masters race was happening at a BTCC meeting. Either driver could have come away from the last race having won the championship and immediately stepped into a rival manufacturer's car, and not just any manufacturer but one they have been racing against a few minutes earlier. I can understand why Vauxhall had a problem with than.

In 2002 both Muller and Thompson did some ETCC races for Alfa and Honda respectively whilst still under contract to Vauxhall.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 07:45 (Ref:2269961)   #10
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I love this Idea there are Implications to possible or Inevitable damage caused to cars private people now own so this would need consideration and who is to foot the bill for running them through a race weekend. Unless the manufacturers of each car represented chip in for the cost I cant see this happening and this is on the assumption the drivers are going to drive for free, nice Idea though.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 08:24 (Ref:2269977)   #11
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
I can talk to Aiello, if you want..?

Just need to know, if any of the other stars will turn up. He will ask me that..

please tell him we want him back in racing

Ciao Marco
Old 16 Aug 2008, 08:37 (Ref:2269982)   #12
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
please tell him we want him back in racing
I miss him to. He is busy playing in the ocean these days, and doing a damn good job. But he has told me that he is into classic cars now, so it might not be impossible to get him out

Is there only a Nissan, not a Peugeot 406 racing?
Old 16 Aug 2008, 12:31 (Ref:2270076)   #13
Icebaby
Veteran

[quote=PDS]I have been reading recently about the proposed SuperTouring race planned to take place at the Sliverstone Classic over the weekend of July 24-26 2009.
http://www.silverstoneclassic.com/news/news.asp?nid=51

This link really gives little information on how they are to overcome or propose to actually have the cars racing with ex/current touring car drivers from this period

Already there are a number of interested owners of the cars from the 1990's.
http://www.supertouringregister.com/Silverstone09.php

Intersted and committed are two different things, as said before there are Implications here.

I can't see this happening personally, it has a "Team 48" feel to it.....
Old 16 Aug 2008, 15:54 (Ref:2270136)   #14
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, we have registered that you don't see it happening. Lets move on with the discussion.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2270243)   #15
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't see it failing, not after seeing the magnificent racecard they put on this year.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 12:04 (Ref:2270482)   #16
redshoes
Veteran

I don't see there being any question over this not happening.

If you are expecting to see 30 ex-BTCC cars driven by 30 ex-BTCC drivers then you are going to be disappointed. I agree that most current owners will be unwilling to hand the car over to an ex-BTCC driver knowing that there's a good chance the car will be damaged. However there are plenty of current owners who are more than willing to get out there and race themselves.

Obviously the best they can do at this stage is say they are interested as until the regs are available there's nothing to commit to. I expect a few of those cars to drop out but equally I expect a few more to be added to the list. The fact that less than a month after the race was announced we are already only a couple away from hitting the organisers' target of 30 cars speaks volumes.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2270861)   #17
Icebaby
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
I don't see there being any question over this not happening.

If you are expecting to see 30 ex-BTCC cars driven by 30 ex-BTCC drivers then you are going to be disappointed. I agree that most current owners will be unwilling to hand the car over to an ex-BTCC driver knowing that there's a good chance the car will be damaged. However there are plenty of current owners who are more than willing to get out there and race themselves.

Obviously the best they can do at this stage is say they are interested as until the regs are available there's nothing to commit to. I expect a few of those cars to drop out but equally I expect a few more to be added to the list. The fact that less than a month after the race was announced we are already only a couple away from hitting the organisers' target of 30 cars speaks volumes.
Cheers Redshoes, pretty much the further info I was expecting back in the "disscusion", so the proposal is a sort of britcar affair then really with some possible ex btcc drivers? ,if this is the case I still dont get it though as you can watch these cars in action already?
Old 18 Aug 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2270875)   #18
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
Cheers Redshoes, pretty much the further info I was expecting back in the "disscusion", so the proposal is a sort of britcar affair then really with some possible ex btcc drivers? ,if this is the case I still dont get it though as you can watch these cars in action already?
Do we take it you won't be going then?

Redshoes will know this... Has there ever been 30 Supertourers in a BRITCAR race or any other race since 2001 in this country?

I don't think they even managed that number in the Formula Saloons Championship.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2270897)   #19
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I went to see the LMA saloons at Brands purely on the strength of the Super Touring entries - 3 Accords, 2 Primeras and a Mondeo. You don't often get a hance to see more than that in one place so to get a full grid would be an awesome sight (especially as I never saw them live when they were current). There are plenty of super touring models I haven't seen in action too so the chance to fill in some of the gaps would be great.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 11:56 (Ref:2270898)   #20
Icebaby
Veteran

Im not really Interested in an argument here, just some more Info on how they propose the plan to work, Im all for it if they can get a few drivers from the past involved as long as the racing is not "sanatised".

As for going myself I would have had they not picked Silverstone as Im not a fan of this track for spectating. There is not 30 Supertourers in a Britcar race but I was trying to suggest you can already see ex touring cars in action.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2270899)   #21
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
In some cases people own more than one eligible car so there are "spare" drives available, also if people have sponsors then it's good publicity to have your car driven by a well known driver.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 12:19 (Ref:2270909)   #22
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really, really hope this comes off - the first race meeting I ever wet to was BTCC at Knockhill in 1995,. along with something like 30,000 other people. My abiding memory ios of hearing the most incredible sound of something flat out down the back straight, which turned out to be...the Volvo 850. Watching a few 1990's season reviews recently reminded me of how huge the BTCC was back then, and to see some of the cars back on track would be a real treat for a lot of people. Fingers crossed, and roll on next July!
Old 18 Aug 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2270913)   #23
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
As for going myself I would have had they not picked Silverstone as Im not a fan of this track for spectating. There is not 30 Supertourers in a Britcar race but I was trying to suggest you can already see ex touring cars in action.
It's at Silverstone because it will be part of the Silverstone Classic, this is just one small part of a much bigger meeting. You can still see some Supertourers on UK tracks but when was the last time you saw a Laguna, Volvo 850 or S40 race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDS
Redshoes will know this... Has there ever been 30 Supertourers in a BRITCAR race or any other race since 2001 in this country?

I don't think they even managed that number in the Formula Saloons Championship.
Without going back and checking all the race results I'd go as far as saying that we have never had 30 Supertourers in any UK race. Formula Saloons probably had 30 entries at some point but not necessarily at the same race and certainly not all Supertourers. Even the BTCC never managed that many cars.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 16:14 (Ref:2271034)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I watched some coverage of the Silverstone Classic on Motors TV. Have to say it's a great event. If I remember well this event will be live on Motors TV next year.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 16:35 (Ref:2271046)   #25
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just looked back at the old Formula Saloons points files i had and i think they managed about 15 SuperTourers registered in a year, and about 12 out as maximum.

I think the SuperTouring Saloons challenge event that happened at Snetterton had about 15 cars too. Its a shame this event did not get repeated, but i guess costs at that time were too great.

The supertourers are great bits of kit to watch and look at in the pits. In LMA series they have a few out and are great to watch but getting a big grid of these out will be special.

If we are lucky to get some of the old drivers into the cars to race, even better, but if we get 20 cars out next year it will be a great effort.

If they have 30 people showing interest in the event already then there is great potential for this becoming a great race.

I think the SIlverstone Classic is the best way of getting the cars out nowadays, as it has TV coverage, big crowds and an established race meeting.

Lets hope Dave Jarman and everyone else involved can get the word out to people in the uk and europe with cars to bring them over for this race.

Bring it on!!