Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 24 Oct 2009, 23:44 (Ref:2568979)   #126
Toads
Rookie

Australia
Toads should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for your response Tourer, seems we're getting somewhere without just writing off Gold Coast Autumn Weather.

Admittedly, this past decade seems to be drier than the 90's. But with that said, last summer and autumn has produced enough rain to see South East Queensland Dams at their highest levels in the last six or so years. I tried to pull some stats from Seqwater, but they haven't released this year's Annual Report yet.

Also, as you mentioned. There is the possibility that a cyclone could take a wander down this way and dump a lot of rain. But last time from memory that a cyclone has come close to the GC, was back in 1992 in the month of May, that produced 2 or 3 days of torrential rain.

When it comes to the weather affecting Motorsport events on the Coast in the past three decades. There are only 3 incidents I can recall. The last one was the date that JagtechOhio mentioned of October 27, 2002. Which seen rain equivalent to a monsoonal downpour, which was very unfortunate for the event. As the 3 or 4 months lead up to that Sunday, the coast hadn't seen a drop of rain, and if IIRC, the following Monday. The sun was shining like nothing ever happened.

The next, was the delayed start in 1995, that Micheal Andretti won for Newman-Haas Racing, just on dusk where they were running out of light.

Then the last one was from memory, was back in 1985 at the now deceased Surfers Paradise International Raceway at Carrara which at the time was a low lying area of the Coast, that was prone to flooding. I think it was a ATTC round which was held in the month of May. But the old boys didn't let that stop them either.

But getting back to the Surfers Street Circuit during the 90's. There was only two events I missed that decade (91, 95) and what rain we did see is what most would regard as Isolated Showers. It wasn't exactly show stopping weather. The last couple of years, for the open-wheelers they seem to have had the penny drop and moved the start of the race, closer to lunchtime, to reduced the odds of a wet start, and let the V8SC's finish off the days events. Why it took so long for the organisers to realise that, is anyone's guess.

But with all that said, believe it or not. I do agree with the rest of what Oldtony and Tourer have said. It's only Autumn thing I don't see eye to eye with. October does slot in the best for the event, with all things considered. But if need be, to keep the event going. I feel we just can't write off the possibility of an Autumn Event, because at the end of it all. I rather see some motorsport event on the Gold Coast, than none at all.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 00:24 (Ref:2569004)   #127
Toads
Rookie

Australia
Coool

Oh, also forgot to mention. That's it good to hear Andy report card has improved since last week. Here's hoping the remainder of the weekend is a blast for you. It's something I reckon everyone should experience at least once.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 01:50 (Ref:2569040)   #128
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry to introduce the subject of weather. I live on the Gold Coast and have lived in SEQ for 40 yrs. Probably my mention of weather is more related to what I have experienced over that period. Believe me Jan Feb March cand be VERY wet and looking up the records for Beaudesert since 1898 they are by far the wetest months. By the way I used Beaudesert because in weather record terms the first available for Southport are mid 1930, and of course the rest of the Gold Coast virtually did not exist before about 1950. I'll grant this the weather patern certainly has changed over the past few years. But theb we are told by some that Climate change is not happening!
My main reason for contributing was to outline the sort of budget that had been used, and potentialy what is available. The whole point about the Government subsidy is that it is intended to be an internationl event, and in particular to attract international TV coverage and international visitors.
With the declining drawing power of Champ Car in it's later years, and the very ordinary show put on by the IRL the V8s have become the dominant drawcard and that has lead to a down market trend in the crowd attracted. It has moved from Champagne and Chic to Beer and Booze. Great party, but the Coast is starting to wonder if those were the guests we wanted to invite.
The other point is trying to find a category that will attract international TV. The F3 carnival linked with Macau is the best suggestion I have heard, and would provide at least some variety for local fans and TV audiences to the V8s. The mobile Museum being shown at present is great, but for one who watched those cars really competing, it is a bit of an anti climax.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 03:01 (Ref:2569056)   #129
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh dear! How you can make oneself look an idiot.
Just had a look at the local weather radar and guess where a nice little intense storm is about to hit
Old 25 Oct 2009, 03:22 (Ref:2569062)   #130
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
I'll grant this the weather patern certainly has changed over the past few years. But theb we are told by some that Climate change is not happening!
Climates move in cycles, sometimes 40 year periods and then also several hundred year periods, not to mention El Nino and La Nina that change every few years and heavily influence weather in Australia as it does in the USA.

The weather is just outside of human control so I think they have to pick the best days possible at least in decent seasons like spring or fall and also take in account other factors like holidays and other grand sporting events.

For example picking an early June date for the Canberra race never made any sense.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 04:11 (Ref:2569078)   #131
Toads
Rookie

Australia
I'm not sure where you're pulling these figures from, Oldtony. I'll guess we'll just have to take your word for it, as it appears you're not prepared to reveal your sources. Also, I'm not quite sure why you're quoting weather from Beaudesert Statistics, as their not exactly the Gold Coast. Not only that, there's a range in between (Mount Tamborine, Beechmont, etc..) that can affect the outcome of the weather, between the two locations. Fair enough their early stats, but still fairly irrelevant in regards to the Coast.

I tend to agree with you about the entire event has lost a bit of it's shine since the withdrawl of Champcars. It be great to see another strong open-wheeler catagory of International flavour. As one of the main reasons of the event is to showcase our goods onto the International Stage.

I'm not sure if the street course has ever been up to FIA standards or has ever been classed by them. But I'd imagine for us to have a FIA sanctioned series running around our streets, it'd have to be done if not already. For the F2's there'd have to be some improvements, but i'm not sure where the F3's fit into the picture.

Ultimately, it'd be great to see an international OW series of some sort, to take it on. But at the end of the day, I wouldn't sneeze at another tin top series, maybe ALMS or GT.

As for Rain this arvo, I think we'll be right mate. Seems to be more noise than moisture in it, for now. If it does I highly doubt it'll be a show stopper, hehe
Old 25 Oct 2009, 04:38 (Ref:2569084)   #132
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Toads I think there will be a whole heap of journos lined up with FOI requests for Government records after the weekend.
The Corporate records, not being from public companies, might be harder to find.
I think the A1GP stuff will come out of the UK Examiner in Bankruptcy investication as some of them already have.
Some of what I have said is on the public record if you look hard enough but a significant percentage I admit is from "sources".
I reckon a lot of information will become very public shortly.
My real interest at present is in exactly what happened in the period of about 6 weeks when it was certain, but not legally enforceable, before the contract was finally declared void. Who was saying what to who, who is going to finish up profiting from the rescue, and were the Minister and the Event company made aware of the options for a replacement program.
Somehow the ground work has to start now in finding an International series for next year. Even if it is run next year as V8 only the event wont be able to justify the cost of building he street circuit and tearing it down again for a purely domestic audience.
CHampagne and Chic maybe. Beer and Boobs doesn't justify the spend.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 05:38 (Ref:2569100)   #133
Toads
Rookie

Australia
Oh yeah, without a doubt. When the laundry makes it's way to the washer, from tomorrow onwards. There's going to be a fair bit of dirt exposed. There'll be no end of it, until the point we'll probably grow tired of it, hehe.

I was up at the Townsville 400 earlier this year and what they put on, was a good spread. They set up the Motor Precinct, with minimum disturbance to the locals, as it's only loans on two non-residential streets (Boundary St and Charters Towers Rd).

The Surfers Precinct takes up several streets and impacts on a densely populated holiday/residential area. An International series can help justify the event. V8SC alone can't. I'm an avid Motorsport fan of many series, and even I can admit that.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 07:37 (Ref:2569155)   #134
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I've ever seen so much beer, drunk people or women dancing in nothing but thongs
Wheres the pictures?.....err for scientific research purposes only of couse
Old 25 Oct 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2569208)   #135
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toads View Post
Oh, also forgot to mention. That's it good to hear Andy report card has improved since last week. Here's hoping the remainder of the weekend is a blast for you. It's something I reckon everyone should experience at least once.

Thanks, its been a great weekend actually. Could only afford to go the one day (saturday) but the rest of the atmosphere outside the circuit has been great as well. Certainly beats any trip to a race meeting back in the UK.

I mean can you actually go and relax on the beach during race breaks back at Silverstone? Hehe

One thing I'll never get the knack of though is ozzies tolerance to beer. Oh my god! You get through the stuff like its water! Funny to watch though so full credit to you

V8s though...... Ripper mate!
Old 25 Oct 2009, 10:54 (Ref:2569254)   #136
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post

I mean can you actually go and relax on the beach during race breaks back at Silverstone? Hehe
There's always the gravel traps........
Old 26 Oct 2009, 00:06 (Ref:2569711)   #137
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
With the declining drawing power of Champ Car in it's later years, and the very ordinary show put on by the IRL the V8s have become the dominant drawcard...
The IRL show may not have been brilliant last year, but let's not forget that it was a non-championship race for a new series... it was never going to lead to fireworks...

Having said that, a reunified American open wheel series, if given a year or two, still represents the best opportunity for the Gold Coast race to achieve what it always intended...

The dismissal of the series for the good of the V8Supercar calendar was extremely short-sighted.

I fail to see a single period between early April and late September (the IRL season) that presents a compelling reason to knock back the IRL - with the possible exception of five weeks of school holidays.

As for weather, well the current slot hasn't exactly been free of monsoon... it can happen at any time on the Gold Coast...
Old 26 Oct 2009, 00:39 (Ref:2569721)   #138
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Mac, the date problem was more than an issue with the Supercar calendar - here is a quote from Judy Spence at the time (the whole article is linked in post 4 of this thread):
Queensland Sports Minister Judy Spence said the government had opposed moves by the Indy Racing League to move the event from October to March.

"They have an expanded series of events and our Indy clashes with the early part of the American Football season," she said.

"Moving our race to March as they had requested was not an option due to the clash with the F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne and the Clipsal V8 race in Adelaide.

"In addition a March race would have involved track construction right in the middle of January school holidays and we would not tolerate Gold Coast residents being inconvenienced in that way."

Having said all that though - I still think that a suitable international series is a good part of the event and it would be great to see something happen along those lines.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 01:18 (Ref:2570453)   #139
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
Just chuck my experience today in.

Went to the V8s today (saturday) and it was my first experieance of the V8s or Surfers as a race track. Overall I was blown away!!! Atmosphere was amazing, the V8s themselves were awesome and overall the day was great.

Have to say though I don't think I've ever seen so much beer, drunk people or women dancing in nothing but thongs (both ozzie and uk versions). Strange place
Glad you enjoyed yourself mate...there was quite a buzz off-track as well...I think I spotted you once...with the handkerchief knotted on all corners on your head, long pants rolled up and those sandels and socks
Old 27 Oct 2009, 06:03 (Ref:2570537)   #140
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Glad you enjoyed yourself mate...there was quite a buzz off-track as well...I think I spotted you once...with the handkerchief knotted on all corners on your head, long pants rolled up and those sandels and socks
Easy I'm only 29!

And besides, the handkerchief was in a bandana
Old 19 Dec 2009, 16:26 (Ref:2602395)   #141
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interestingly this week's Autosport says of the 2010 FIA GT1 World Championship calendar:

Quote:
Provision has been left on the calendar for an 11th round to be added. This would be at Surfers Paradise.
Not the replacement for Champ Car/IRL that I'd hope for, but if the IRL aren't interested and A1GP is dead, the only other hope as far as international single seaters go would be Superleague Formula (as was rumoured), but I struggle to see it making sense for them.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 17:32 (Ref:2602432)   #142
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FIA GT sounds good.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 10:57 (Ref:2610909)   #143
Parramatta_Power
Rookie

Australia
You Know, You Know...
Parramatta_Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
FIA GT sounds good.
It beats the A1 GP but the Gold Coast Indy felt understandably different without any Open-Wheel category to speak of. None-the-less, the extended V8 round was interesting to watch. Better than an almost empty schedule.