Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jul 2018, 20:34 (Ref:3838782)   #26
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Reports are that he died of an embolism which developed as a result of his shoulder surgery. That, I get. What I don’t fully understand is why FCA and Ferrari announced his various replacements with what I think was indecent haste, while he was still (it is said) in a coma. Why not wait a few weeks? He was going to retire at the end of the year anyway.
You are more kind than Marchionne ever was. Marchionne would want the same thing (RIP). They are businessmen, they know what is at stake to have the company and shares in uncertainty because of a lack of clear leadership. Everyone respects Marchionne, and naming a replacement is not a sleight against him.
Old 25 Jul 2018, 20:41 (Ref:3838784)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The markets were already spooked that he was leaving a period of time with no one officially at the helm would not help. If it was done for business reasons, I am guessing, that he’d approve.

Whatever as someone who isn’t that close to those involved I would not presume anything else.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 08:52 (Ref:3838839)   #28
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
You are more kind than Marchionne ever was. Marchionne would want the same thing (RIP). They are businessmen, they know what is at stake to have the company and shares in uncertainty because of a lack of clear leadership. Everyone respects Marchionne, and naming a replacement is not a sleight against him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The markets were already spooked that he was leaving a period of time with no one officially at the helm would not help. If it was done for business reasons, I am guessing, that he’d approve.

Whatever as someone who isn’t that close to those involved I would not presume anything else.
Agreed. No slight...what must be done, must be done.

RIP, Segio.

jimclark
Old 28 Jul 2018, 05:45 (Ref:3839216)   #29
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Italian media reporting that Marchionne's death was not due to complications from a shoulder surgery, but rather due to a long term battle with cancer. Marchionne was being treated by Zurich University Hospital for over a year.

Zurich University Hospital statement: "Mr. Sergio Marchionne was a patient at USZ. Due to serious illness, he had been the recipient of recurring treatment for more than a year."

"Although all the options offered by cutting-edge medicine were utilized, Mr. Marchionne unfortunately passed away."

Marchionne was a very heavy smoker, and it is rumoured that he's death was actually as a result of a cardiac arrest during surgery for advanced lung cancer. FCA are sticking to the 'complications from shoulder surgery' story. If the rumours on lung cancer is fact, then why would Marchionne (and/or his family) want to hide the truth? Lung cancer is the most common form of death from cancer. Strange.

A report from Reuters below:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKBN1KG2ET
Old 28 Jul 2018, 08:38 (Ref:3839246)   #30
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If, and I repeat if, the report about lung cancer were to be factual, then it's not being reported may be as a result of Ferrari's long term connection and closeness to Philip Morris and their products.

It wouldn't really be the message that either side would want to relay to the public.
Old 28 Jul 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3839248)   #31
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
If, and I repeat if, the report about lung cancer were to be factual, then it's not being reported may be as a result of Ferrari's long term connection and closeness to Philip Morris and their products.

It wouldn't really be the message that either side would want to relay to the public.
Very good point.....

jimclark
Old 28 Jul 2018, 12:54 (Ref:3839294)   #32
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Makes sense MH.

A report in Bloomberg about the situation HERE.

Why has anything to do with Ferrari got to be so secretive? Particularly in the last year in their F1 operations? Does not help with all the speculation going on and has been going on since 2016.

Old 28 Jul 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3839358)   #33
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i guess he had a responsibility to share the info with shareholders but at the same time i respect his right and decision to keep his health a private concern.

between rising prices of steel and aluminium and an increasing protectionist market emerging in the US, he might have actually done the share price a favour by keeping his health issues to himself.

anyways i tend not to feel too bad for institutional investors...if they are clever they will double down and buy more shares at the lower price and realize a gain when panic subsides and the share price returns to normal. if anything they are probably more upset the price didnt go down even lower during this transition period.
Old 28 Jul 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3839359)   #34
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Makes sense MH.

A report in Bloomberg about the situation HERE.

Why has anything to do with Ferrari got to be so secretive? Particularly in the last year in their F1 operations? Does not help with all the speculation going on and has been going on since 2016.

Ferrari? Any business dealings (or family situations for that matter...).
Simply, 'just makes sense. A good rule of thumb is "less is more"...except for "nosybodies"....

"Speculation" has been going on since the beginning of mankind by those that have nothing to do with the subject, whatever it is.

jimclark
Old 29 Jul 2018, 04:49 (Ref:3839720)   #35
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I think the classiest thing to do would be to use this thread to pay respects and remember the life of Marchionne, rather than for idle speculation and Ferrari conspiracies.
Old 29 Jul 2018, 07:46 (Ref:3839755)   #36
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Ferrari don’t help themselves when it comes to conspiracy theories. I fail to understand their ban on personnel apart from Arrivabene talking to the media. Would love to see someone like Jock Clear nabbed on the grid walk. It’s in sharp contrast to, say Red Bull and Christian Horner, who have a brilliant and open relationship with the press. You regularly hear CH talking to UK commentators from the pit wall during the race.
Old 29 Jul 2018, 08:33 (Ref:3839776)   #37
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Of course if a high-up in a company passes away suddenly then the default stance is for nobody to say anything other than pre-written statements. That's not a conspiracy, that's standard procedure in any company in the world.
Old 29 Jul 2018, 08:42 (Ref:3839780)   #38
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Of course if a high-up in a company passes away suddenly then the default stance is for nobody to say anything other than pre-written statements. That's not a conspiracy, that's standard procedure in any company in the world.
Absolutely. See post 34.

jimclark
Old 29 Jul 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3839924)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I think the classiest thing to do would be to use this thread to pay respects and remember the life of Marchionne, rather than for idle speculation and Ferrari conspiracies.
Old 29 Jul 2018, 15:46 (Ref:3839962)   #40
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Yes.

Richard
Old 2 Aug 2018, 11:48 (Ref:3840838)   #41
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.I.P Sergio Marchionne.