Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:01 (Ref:3846150)   #51
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan already rear gunner for Turks ?
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3846152)   #52
Londoner
Racer

Londoner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...Sutton's gonna win this title, isn't he. How displeasing. :/
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:11 (Ref:3846153)   #53
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
If it's going to be wet tomorrow than I think Sutton will win, given his track record in trickier conditions.
Nice to be right for once!
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:14 (Ref:3846154)   #54
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
...Sutton's gonna win this title, isn't he. How displeasing. :/
Ingram will come back strong at Silverstone... hopefully.

No arguing that he is super talented, and unbeatable in the wet - but isn't it amazing how much people don't want him to win compared to last year!
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:16 (Ref:3846157)   #55
Londoner
Racer

Quote:
Ingram will come back strong at Silverstone... hopefully.

No arguing that he is super talented, and unbeatable in the wet - but isn't it amazing how much people don't want him to win compared to last year!
I have nothing against Sutton personally, I just can't stand BMR.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3846158)   #56
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
I have nothing against Sutton personally, I just can't stand BMR.
Ditto
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3846159)   #57
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Purely because people get bored of the Subaru drama.

The car just seems absolutely impossible to balance against the rest of the grid. 5 second gap in less than 5 minutes. It's a bit silly really. The ballast for race 2 is going to make no difference - Sutton will walk it.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3846160)   #58
Londoner
Racer

GOD DAMN IT COLIN, WHY?!

Jelley :'(
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:18 (Ref:3846161)   #59
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wtf Turks? What was that?
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:20 (Ref:3846162)   #60
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Purely because people get bored of the Subaru drama.

The car just seems absolutely impossible to balance against the rest of the grid. 5 second gap in less than 5 minutes. It's a bit silly really. The ballast for race 2 is going to make no difference - Sutton will walk it.
Yep. Maybe even race 3 too.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:23 (Ref:3846163)   #61
porsche962fan
Veteran

the sooner the Subaru dissapears from the grid the better , and Alan should encourage them to go away

poor Jelley , really in dry that small tap would have been nothing but in full wet

my bet is Colin will get 3 points on license and a fine
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:27 (Ref:3846164)   #62
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Great drives by Cammish, Cook and Ingram in the FWD cars.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:28 (Ref:3846165)   #63
Evantra
Veteran

England
Very relieved to see a good race without any major incidents. Dan Lloyd was very lucky not to be collected!
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:29 (Ref:3846167)   #64
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plato 26th on a RWD track in a race your teammate just won.

Go home. It's over.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:35 (Ref:3846169)   #65
porsche962fan
Veteran

Turks claims Jelley slowed down in-front of him and he couldn't react in time .....

if the telemetry shows that he is off the hook !!

Last edited by porsche962fan; 26 Aug 2018 at 11:41.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:42 (Ref:3846174)   #66
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's somehow sad people are now displeased when Sutton is winning just because of his team. Guys, you're watching one of the greatest young guns that come from Britain and you'd better be happy now because in a few years he may be racing out of BTCC. His driving was amazing.

Turks and Jelley clash was untypical for the former and for me it also looked as if Jelley slowed down but we'll see.

Shame Cammish didn't win but a third is still a good result. I'm bit disappointed for Jordan.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:44 (Ref:3846175)   #67
porsche962fan
Veteran

if Sutton would be in normal car and would get same results nobody would moan!!

but that car is so controversial and now impossible to build by anyone else due to rule changes and you can see it can corner so much better in this conditions it's simply impossible to beat
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:45 (Ref:3846176)   #68
Evantra
Veteran

England
Tim Harvey put it well - Sutton's win was 80% driver and 20% car. Had he been at any other team on the grid, he still likely would've won. Not great to see a driver's fanbase fall (and that includes myself) because of his team.

Fun fact - Ingram has scored points in every race he's finished this year.

Last edited by Evantra; 26 Aug 2018 at 11:50.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:46 (Ref:3846177)   #69
Evantra
Veteran

England
Ginettas made it 3 corners before a pile up and a red flag.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:53 (Ref:3846180)   #70
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
It's somehow sad people are now displeased when Sutton is winning just because of his team. Guys, you're watching one of the greatest young guns that come from Britain and you'd better be happy now because in a few years he may be racing out of BTCC. His driving was amazing.

Turks and Jelley clash was untypical for the former and for me it also looked as if Jelley slowed down but we'll see.

Shame Cammish didn't win but a third is still a good result. I'm bit disappointed for Jordan.
tbh I just don't like when one car is miles faster. That race was phenomenal for the first half. But it's boring when one car is 1.5 seconds a lap faster around a 55 second lap. I don't have anyone to support in BTCC (although do enjoy seeing Ingram do well), so don't really care who it is. I'm just not a fan of one car having such an advantage.

Add in the weird pendulum effect the Subaru has, where one week it's terrible and they need assistance, and then the next week it dominates, and it's just a bit meh really.

I like Sutton - I'd like to see him in a BMW or Honda or any other 'normal' car, so we can enjoy him properly, without a Subaru filter applied.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:56 (Ref:3846181)   #71
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post

Ash Sutton- the best driver currently in BTCC, Discuss. The more I see of him, the more I think it may be the case....

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
if Sutton would be in normal car and would get same results nobody would moan!!

but that car is so controversial and now impossible to build by anyone else due to rule changes and you can see it can corner so much better in this conditions it's simply impossible to beat
...and yet, the double champion who's won more races than anyone else appears to be able to do sod-all with it. It's a pity Plato didn't make the sensible decision to knock it on the head and retire after last year, so BMR could put another proven driver in the car and we might have a better idea of how much of the current performance is down to Ash and how much is down to the car, without the distraction of the whole 'Is Plato past it?' issue.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 11:59 (Ref:3846183)   #72
porsche962fan
Veteran

look if say BMR folds and Sutton say ends up at WSR with Jordan and Turks and totally dominates them I give you that but if his car iis so much superior it takes away from his achievement

now the only benchmark is an old has been driver that should probably retire
Old 26 Aug 2018, 12:04 (Ref:3846184)   #73
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Ash Sutton- the best driver currently in BTCC, Discuss. The more I see of him, the more I think it may be the case....
Could be. Hard to tell. He's certainly in the top 5, without a shadow of a doubt. But he's certainly not a full second a lap faster than everyone else on a 55 second lap, is he?

The problem isn't that Sutton wins, the problem is that Subaru has days when it's so terrible that it's barely worth qualifying, and then it has days when you add maximum weight to it and it's still half a second a lap faster than the entire grid. Sutton isn't the problem - he's great. It's how strange the car is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
...and yet, the double champion who's won more races than anyone else appears to be able to do sod-all with it. It's a pity Plato didn't make the sensible decision to knock it on the head and retire after last year, so BMR could put another proven driver in the car and we might have a better idea of how much of the current performance is down to Ash and how much is down to the car, without the distraction of the whole 'Is Plato past it?' issue.
Little bit unfair there. Of course JP has won more races - he's been there since 1998. If he hadn't won the most it'd be a bit of a joke. And he's spent 20 years driving FWD cars, and now he's trying to wrap his head around a RWD that car that is far from a typical touring car.

Even if you ignore Jason completely and just talk about the one Subaru that does well, it's still odd. You shouldn't have a car going from absolutely nowhere, to having a performance advantage so large that it can negate the weight penalties.

I'd be saying the same thing had Cammish driven off at a second a lap consistently. It's boring.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 12:07 (Ref:3846186)   #74
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys, you have to live with it. If BTCC was more professional, such teams like BMR wouldn't exist. That's the first thing. Second, usually in motorsport there are drivers/teams/cars that dominate. Look at Supercars, DTM, F1, NASCAR or WTCC in, say, 2006-2008.
Third, if you think Subaru is that miles away then why Plato is occupying the rear of the field? I mean, ok, there are drivers who lose some edge but if they have car that is much better than the rest, they will be somewhere up there.
And Sutton, being 22 and a rookie in an old MG was able to really shine. He may have one of the best cars but those who are winning always have one of the best cars. You can't, however, deny the fact that Sutton is a megatalent, judging by his results, his abilities in regard of on-track battles and so on.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 12:14 (Ref:3846187)   #75
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Some absolutely horrendous driving in the Ginetta GT5 cup.