Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 27 Aug 2000, 05:33 (Ref:33011)   #1
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK here's your chance to namedrop by boasting the biggest name/most famous driver whom you have raced against. You have to have been on the track at the same time, in the same event to qualify for this one. Presumably he was an unknown young up and comer at the time, did you recognise his talent then or was his sucess a surprise to you?
Old 27 Aug 2000, 14:21 (Ref:33055)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
formula holden driver Steve Owen..he flogged me...I believe I raced against Melinda price..but i carnt remember how she did..probably flogged me as well..Brother of Brad Jones Kim..allthough that was just a muck around race..and me being alot lighter managed to beat him in that one..thats about it..maybe a few guys I have raced against will make it big in the sport but only time wil tell.
Old 28 Aug 2000, 06:39 (Ref:33323)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have you raced against Nathan Pretty, HRT's main man. I thought he was in your Kart club?
Old 28 Aug 2000, 14:17 (Ref:33400)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I never got the chance to race against nathan as he was already in cars by the time i got into karts..but I have seen him out there practising and am glad i never raced him as he probably would have lapped me ..he is awesome in a kart..but he shows up every now and then for a bit of a look and helps out with a bit of advice which is great.

top bloke

hope he does well at the QLD 500
Old 29 Aug 2000, 00:54 (Ref:33540)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wayne Wakefield, it was obvious he was on the way up, exceptional talent and amazing car control.

Kevin Heffernan, he was already well known by then and just running his sponsor's cars in our races for a bit of fun.

Danny Osborne and I joined the club on the same night and both started racing at about the same time, 16 months later, he was club champion, so neat and tidy he doesn't look quick till you see the times.

Ian Palmer, always had a good car and ran at the front, but didn't seem too special.

John English was well known long before I started racing and he's now a consistent front runner in my class.

David Auger still holds the lap record for my class at Lakeside.

I've also been soundly whipped by Bob Tweedie and both Donahers and Alan Heath.

I raced against Jamie Brock at his second ever meeting, didn't see which way he went. Very much like his step father, fast, smooth, tidy, no-fuss.
Old 29 Aug 2000, 13:21 (Ref:33658)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
thats a very impressive list David..ever thought of moving on (if maoney was there) to bigger and brighter things like they have ??

I just thought of another..also ran against formula ford driver Cameron Shearer..he mainly does the vic state series and the vic rounds of the Oz title but he is a heck of a battler and a hard nut to crack.
Old 29 Aug 2000, 19:58 (Ref:33754)   #7
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

All the following raced at the West of Scotland Kart Club when I was there. David Coulthard, Allan McNish, Dario Franchitti, Alex Jack, Louis Di Resta, Jim Forsyth.
Old 30 Aug 2000, 09:25 (Ref:33879)   #8
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Absolutely Marcus, I wuld love to move on and up, but I don't have the money or what it takes to bring in the money. So for the forseeable future I'm staying where I am.
Old 31 Aug 2000, 23:17 (Ref:34308)   #9
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Karts: Alex Barron, Richie Hearns, Memo Gidley, Eddie Lawson (after bike career), Elton Julian.

Formula Dodge: Tony Renna, Jeff Simmons, Roger Yasukawa, Jeff Shafer, Nicolas Rondet, Jon Fogarty, Derek Hill, Austin Cameron, Will Langhourne.

Plus actors: Grant Show, Alfonso Riberio, Mark-Paul Gooslaar and Sean-Patrick Flannert in both karts and Formula Dodge. All are very good drivers and very serious. Flannery is VERY GOOD!
Old 1 Sep 2000, 13:35 (Ref:34409)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
now that is a most impressive list..did you do any good against the likes of barron,gidley ,and hearn ???
Old 1 Sep 2000, 20:37 (Ref:34444)   #11
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well? Not really!

Hearns already did Formula Renaults when I raced against him. He is a multy-time kart champion in 100c class. I raced 125cc Gearbox only. I did 2 races against him. 1 was an hour & half 125cc enduro race, which I think he won. I caused a huge wreck on the first corner, buy jumping the start and finished well down the order. The second I actually ran ahead of him. He was driving some experimental 125cc motor that wasn't any good.

Alex Barron was the guy to beat in Shifter Karts in 90 to 95. we ran for the same shop in 91 & 92. I just started then and he was already known...He still races Karts once in a while, just ran a race 2 weeks ago.

Memo Gidley ran mostly in another part of California, he'd come down and do a few races in my area. He was always very quick & his motors were supper quick, that's how I remembered his name. Also, I did an end of year 'Iron Man' Race at the end of 98 & Memo was there too. He just won the SKUSA American Shifter Kart Championship last November...So, he too still races Karts.

I still have my Kart and use all the time, but it's not competitive anymore. I do the Iron Man Race between Christmas & New Years for fun, but that's about it since quiting karting in 95. I quit karting because of way too many different rules by different organizations, especially for shifter karts. I also didn't like the fact that a guy, who couldn't drive would spend $5,000 building a motor a win races...Now, there is a good shifter-kart organization (SKUSA), but I already moved up. It doesn't make sense to me to start racing karts seriously again...Driving, yes! Racing, no.
Old 12 Sep 2000, 16:59 (Ref:36755)   #12
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I raced against Michael Andretti, Dennis Firestone, Herm Johnson and others. Michael was very fast in FF, and a friend of mine bought his car when he moved to Formula Atlantic or whatever. We quickly found out one reason Mikey was so fast. His car (engine) was a rocket! My buddy went from midfield backmarker to the fastest car on the track as soon as he strapped it on. Regional points leaders all wanted to rent his engine!

Also ran against Paul Newman during open sessions when open/closed wheels ran together. His Datsun Z was very fast on the straights, then my FF would pass him on the twisty bits.

Oh yeah, the dark haired guy from Hall & Oates. Ha!
Old 5 Nov 2000, 03:59 (Ref:46765)   #13
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Danny Osborne came along to one of our club meeting nights recently, he said the team is staying in V8 Supercar but he won't be doing the driving. He's looking to get an XU-1 Torana and have a run in historic Touring Cars, purely for the fun of it.
Old 26 Nov 2000, 10:25 (Ref:49955)   #14
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
At this year's historic meeting at Lakeside, I raced against Brian Potts and Steve Land. Potts co-drove at Bathurst for Russell Skaife and Barry Jones in the 70s. Land co-drove at Bathurst for Graeme Bailey in the early '80s.
Old 25 Jan 2001, 12:49 (Ref:60274)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Just thought I'd bring this back to the top as Alan Heath has now gained celebrity status in the Touring Car Forum.
Old 25 Jan 2001, 17:04 (Ref:60311)   #16
BMWRacerITS
Rookie

BMWRacerITS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's see, the two biggest names I can come up with are:

Hurley Haywood: On track at the same time during an HSR (Historic Sportscar Racing) race.

Bill Auberlen: Drove one of the PTG BMW M3's in a BMW club race at Road Atlanta during the annual BMW CCA Octoberfest this past year.
Old 31 Dec 2001, 11:37 (Ref:191876)   #17
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I forgot to mention Ironman Grant Kenny. He started off in Club Cars a couple of years ago in a KE55 twin-cam Corolla coupe.
Old 6 Jan 2002, 01:44 (Ref:194658)   #18
Old Hairpin
Racer

Old Hairpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tested a formula ford at silverstone in 99 when JButton was whizzing round in his F3 Promatecme! Very fast cars in a straight line.... Whoooom!
I raced with Kiesa in FFord although I was in a **** heap and nowhere near as good as hime. I followed him in the wet once and he whooshed off at becketts on the international track and dissapeared into the fog, i was quite worried bu the next lap he appeared again from some grass so it ws ok.
Old 6 Jan 2002, 01:47 (Ref:194659)   #19
Old Hairpin
Racer

Old Hairpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tested a formula ford at silverstone in 99 when JButton was whizzing round in his F3 Promatecme! Very fast cars in a straight line.... Whoooom!
I raced with Kiesa in FFord although I was in a **** heap and nowhere near as good as hime. I followed him in the wet once and he whooshed off at becketts on the international track and dissapeared into the fog, i was quite worried bu the next lap he appeared again from some grass so it ws ok.
I also had a mini spin battle with Van der Merwe in testing at Silverstone where we kept overtaking each other then spinning for three fun laps before he put it in the gravel at luffield!! I put it in the gravel at Copse two laps later trying to stay with Craig Murray and failing... All good.
Old 7 Jan 2002, 01:22 (Ref:194733)   #20
pisland
Rookie

pisland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got beaten by a girl (Leanne Ferrier) in a national class only and will never live it down Was only filling in myself. However dont be fooled by her being in the Konica series at the time, that is one driver who it would be sinful not to see given a ride in an international or British class. Her fiance (Garth Tander) should hurry up and marry her so the rest of the male racing population can retain our macho unbeatable image. Wonder what will happen there now that GRM has folded??

And a pity Paula Elstrek hasnt been given more opportunities, I recall her testing in an F1 in the UK about 98/99. Plus never ever even think about getting on a drag bike against either her or Angelique the US drag champion. Oh well so much for any alleged male superiority when it comes to racing, its purely been a weight of numbers game to date! (PS all apparent chauvism in this post is purely out and out jealousy/rivalry; its meant in good humour - there should be a lot more support given to female racing aspirants)
Old 6 Jun 2002, 12:12 (Ref:306292)   #21
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I can now add Queensland's most exciting rally driver, Bruce Dummett, to the list.
Old 7 Jun 2002, 13:26 (Ref:307327)   #22
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I can also add Wayne Rogerson, he drove for the Mazda team at Bathurst in the early-mid '70s and was also a bit of a star in a Falcon Hardtop Sports Sedan.
Old 7 Jun 2002, 13:28 (Ref:307328)   #23
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Oops, i can't believe I forgot multiple Australian Sports Car Champion, Lionel Ayres.
Old 7 Jun 2002, 18:22 (Ref:307633)   #24
garry
Racer

garry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I raced in FF1600 in 89 against, David Coulthard, Kelvin Burt, Warren Hughes, Gill De Ferran, Adrian Fernandez, plus a few others that are now in international GT's but not in the same league as the names above. It was obvious from the start that David was destined for the upper levels.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 17:39 (Ref:309830)   #25
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's an interesting one, Chuck Nicholson when he had a Mazda RX7 in Thundersaloons.