Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Mar 2004, 21:43 (Ref:891738)   #26
Fondmetal
Rookie

Fondmetal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
webber is just being bigged up in the f1 world as the next alan jones! OZ needs a big name hot shot in f1 and they are over hyping webber to become just that!
Old 2 Mar 2004, 21:45 (Ref:891743)   #27
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is all academic I suppose.....Ralf won't be at Williams next year, will he?
Old 2 Mar 2004, 21:49 (Ref:891749)   #28
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you apply the old points system to last year, Jaguar did worse in 2003 than they did in 2002 with Eddie and Pedro.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 21:50 (Ref:891754)   #29
Fondmetal
Rookie

Ralf should be, im sure they will find a solution and ralf will learnt to accept that with monto gone to mclaren he can be the team leader! face it if williams are as strong as they are expected to be this yr then ralf might even settle for the salary willaims have offered, instaed of his demands...time will tell

back to webber story, hes not big deal in f1, and as the other guy has said hes not a great racer either! a bit of a truli? what sthe point of qualiflying well if u fall asleep in the races? ala frentzen, truli syndrome!!
Old 2 Mar 2004, 21:51 (Ref:891755)   #30
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fondmetal......what's your problem with Webber?:confused:

Last edited by Knowlesy; 2 Mar 2004 at 21:52.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 21:54 (Ref:891762)   #31
Fondmetal
Rookie

webber is hype! simple as he hasnt achieved anything in f1 yet he is giving his expert oppinons on every driver in f1 as if hes a veteran!
Old 2 Mar 2004, 21:56 (Ref:891766)   #32
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I would say he's got more bragging rights than a lot of people on the 2004 F1 grid!

I'd understand your viewpoint if this was Baumgartner speaking!

Last edited by Knowlesy; 2 Mar 2004 at 21:57.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 22:01 (Ref:891772)   #33
Fondmetal
Rookie

dont knock baumgartner till hes had a season in f1, u never know he might suprise u!
Old 2 Mar 2004, 22:04 (Ref:891784)   #34
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I won't hold my breath.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 22:34 (Ref:891829)   #35
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny how new members blow in bag a bloke and then disappear.Answer me this if Webber is overrated,as you suggest,why is he still in F1?He doesn't have big financial backing and never has.Oh I forgot he can put an underperforming car up the pointy end where as the others you have mentioned have always had quick machinery.

The Grumpy1
Old 2 Mar 2004, 23:10 (Ref:891879)   #36
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
creditbltiy is important Fondmetal something Mark Webber has work hard at and he now has the respect of his peers.

Flapping at the gums at how bad he is with for no reason will do nothing to help yours
Old 3 Mar 2004, 00:11 (Ref:891913)   #37
P1-Paul
Rookie

P1-Paul should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, MW has worked his butt off to get where he is, he's doing a great job, and will continue to better himself. As for Zolt, don't make me laugh! Didn't you see him in F3000, actually probably not, he was at the back of the grid!!! He has $$$$$$
Old 3 Mar 2004, 08:24 (Ref:892114)   #38
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1
Funny how new members blow in bag a bloke and then disappear.Answer me this if Webber is overrated,as you suggest,why is he still in F1?He doesn't have big financial backing and never has.Oh I forgot he can put an underperforming car up the pointy end where as the others you have mentioned have always had quick machinery.

The Grumpy1
Nobody is saying Webber shouldn't be on the grid.

Nobody is saying that Webber isn't very talented.

---

What they are saying, is that at this point we don't know yet whether or not Webber is better than the other F1 drivers.
And we don't know yet whether Webber would be a championship contender if he would be driveing for one of the top teams this year.

He certainly is one of the drivers who "deserve" to be in one of the three top teams.
Unfortunately, there are at least 10 other drivers on the grid who also "deserve" to be in one of the three top teams...
Old 3 Mar 2004, 10:45 (Ref:892203)   #39
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those other ten drivers may "deserve" to be in a top 3 team but they have to earn it too and do the hard yards in mid-field teams to prove their worth.

The danger is that Webber might now begin to be flattered by and believe all the speculation and adulation that is beginning to swirl. Judging by his temperament he won't though.

Last edited by Mattracer; 3 Mar 2004 at 10:47.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 3 Mar 2004, 21:53 (Ref:892877)   #40
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some drivers are loved despite ordinary performances and Webber is one of them, lets face it he doesnt have the speed or talent of Alonzo. He has yet to proove himself.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 22:21 (Ref:892905)   #41
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering the cars hes had proving the speed thing is a bit hard.Consistancy is the thing.One must first finish before one can win.
Jag admitted it had a tyre wear problem last year hence good quailifying slower race times

The Grumpy1
Old 3 Mar 2004, 22:28 (Ref:892912)   #42
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by bosch!
Some drivers are loved despite ordinary performances and Webber is one of them, lets face it he doesnt have the speed or talent of Alonzo. He has yet to proove himself.
Well, we can put some reasoning to this...

Alonso had Alex Yoong as a teammate for 3 races in 2001 and was an average 1.4 secs quicker in qualifying. Ignore the fact that they were Yoongs first 3 races ever and that Fernando had already run in 14.

During 2002, Webber was an average of 1.4 secs faster than, guess who, Alex Yoong. Ignore the fact that Yoong had slightly more experience than Webber.

You might want to reconsider your opinion.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 23:16 (Ref:892949)   #43
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark has an excellent raw speed, you can´t say less than that...
Old 5 Mar 2004, 09:56 (Ref:894633)   #44
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by deeks6
Well, we can put some reasoning to this...

Alonso had Alex Yoong as a teammate for 3 races in 2001 and was an average 1.4 secs quicker in qualifying. Ignore the fact that they were Yoongs first 3 races ever and that Fernando had already run in 14.

During 2002, Webber was an average of 1.4 secs faster than, guess who, Alex Yoong. Ignore the fact that Yoong had slightly more experience than Webber.

You might want to reconsider your opinion.
No. Webber is overblown, if you have to use Yoong to bolster your arguement maybe you should reconsider.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 10:44 (Ref:894693)   #45
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by bosch!
No. Webber is overblown, if you have to use Yoong to bolster your arguement maybe you should reconsider.
On the other hand, if you're trying to assess Alonso and Webber by comparing their speed compared to their respective team-mates, then surely it's perfectly valid to include Yoong, as he's the one team-mate they both have in common....

For what it's worth, I rate both Alonso and Webber very highly, and would be very happy to see either- or even better both- in a Williams next year- can't imagine Briatore would agree with me on that last point though...
Old 5 Mar 2004, 10:59 (Ref:894724)   #46
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, considering today's potential showing of speed from the Renaults....
What do you suppose the odds of Alonso and Webber at Renault are if Trulli doesn't keep up (Unlikely, I think he'll buck up this year myself but we'll see)

Both are Briatore's lads, and I'd rate that as a combo that could match McLaren's next year.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 11:22 (Ref:894760)   #47
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mark Webber was brilliant in the public media stage today, set up in the middle of the V8Supercar paddock.

He held his audience of many hundreds with thoughts of his own preparation for the event, signing a lot of autographs while sharing his views on the Jag challenge.

Webber openly admitted the Jag is not as good a car as McLaren/Ferrari/Williams, that it was better than last season, but he would have to work hard to get the thing moving. And had genuine praise for Christian Klien also.

I still rate Webber, the car isnt that special, Cosworth isnt the best engine in the field (arguably it is probably the least powerful) yet the driver doesnt give up, keeps his motivation, and keeps pushing

Had Webber been of a latin temperment, he would be hot and cold every event... he isnt... and rarely has an off weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
zzzzz.jpg  
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Mar 2004, 21:33 (Ref:895317)   #48
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All i gotta say is that he performed magnificantly last season albeit the quick tire degregation. I'm hoping it's him and Button at williams next year and Ralf is banished to a Jordan or Miniardi...or more his style....IRL.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 07:41 (Ref:895592)   #49
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic

Had Webber been of a latin temperment, he would be hot and cold every event... he isnt... and rarely has an off weekend!
Totally agree...

Not just because I'm an Australian either. There are guys out there in arguably better cars who don't qualify as well. DC? Trulli? Fisichella?

It seems that Mark has thought, how do you succeed at this game and then modelled himself on Schumacher Senior as far as his application goes. After all, he doesn't have a safety net. He needs to do it by his own sweat and blood there is no rich corporation paying for his next drive should he fail.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 10:48 (Ref:895704)   #50
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The oncourse announcers geed up the crowd to voice their support for Webber as he headed out on his final qualifying lap....

... when Webber secured fastest time recorded at that point, the entire circuit went up as one in praise.

Blooody brilliant effort! Fastest he and the car had ever been at the track, and ended up 6th, ahead of some serious players you would expect more from.

Didnt old Nige say local support for a driver was worth a second a lap?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House