Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jul 2007, 17:57 (Ref:1970330)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What did this weekend say about Hamilton?

After waiting nine races for some incident involving Lewis, it all happened at once. The qualifying shunt left him down the grid and having to put an incident out of his mind, and he had his first taste of wet racing. How do people feel he got on overall?

On the plus side, he made a great start, almost moving up to 4th before seemingly being an innocent victim of a Heidfeld mistake. He kept his brain in gear when he went off (at a much lower speed than for example Sutil), made several overtaking moves, and never gave up.

However, there are a few little question marks. He was lucky to get the lap back due to a frankly ludicrous rule. He squandered much of that with a strange tyre choice (maybe the team should have overridden him on this). Finally, the time he lost in being lapped probably cost him a point.

Have we seen weaknesses in his character, or has he just learnt several important lessons in one weekend, rather than from 3 or 4 disasters? Does anything make him look a more or less likely or worthy champion this year?
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:01 (Ref:1970336)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
He has made a few small errors in the last two Grands Prix, which may help people realise that he is human after all, and take a bit of pressure off him.

I certainly don't think he's any worse a driver, but I'm starting to think that Alonso's experience may put him ahead of Lewis when the beans are counted at season's end.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:04 (Ref:1970342)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This weekend was a freak weekend, nothing more.

Any errors in judgement calls were magnified.

And the accident in qualifying was not helpful. Personally, I see no reasons to worry about him at all.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:04 (Ref:1970343)   #4
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it just reminds us that he's still a bit of a newbie F1 driver.

I'm still a bit puzzled as to why they choose to pit him instead of making use of his warmer tyres while he was allowed to un-lap himself. I was fully expecting to see him pass a few cars on the next lap.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:06 (Ref:1970347)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0MAT01

I'm still a bit puzzled as to why they choose to pit him instead of making use of his warmer tyres while he was allowed to un-lap himself. I was fully expecting to see him pass a few cars on the next lap.
Definitely a bad call.But I think it was probably his decision to make.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:07 (Ref:1970348)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It shows that if a wheels falls off the car unexpectedly he can crash.
It shows that he (with his team) can make a poor choice on tyres.
It shows he can't overcome a massive tyre disadvantage.

It also shows that he did kep trying despite the above even though it led to no reward.

Shocker of a race for him.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:09 (Ref:1970350)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The best of them make poor tyre choices and stuff anyways. Look at Alonso in the Chinese GP last season, making that decision to change only his front tyres.

Everyone will get excited and fear for Lewis Hamiltons career prospects but, in reality, he is making errors that all drivers have to make, particularly rookies. It has taken him ten rounds to do it!
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:17 (Ref:1970361)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I've seen Stewart,Prost,Senna,Hakinnen,Schumacher(M) and Alonso have worse weekends.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:18 (Ref:1970362)   #9
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It shows he has the luck of a champion too, ie receiving a push ('crane') start. Schumacher, Alonso and Senna have gotten them in the past. He is a champion no doubt!
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:19 (Ref:1970363)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Alonso doesn't get pushes. He chooses to spin at Monza, where they pull his car away (thinking 2004 here).
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:19 (Ref:1970364)   #11
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
I've seen Stewart,Prost,Senna,Hakinnen,Schumacher(M)and Alonso have worse weekends.

Precisely, has everyone forgotten the Canadian GP ?
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:32 (Ref:1970379)   #12
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Lest we overlook the fact, I think it shows that Lewis's team can do a fantastic job in rebuilding yesterday's wreck so that it went as well as ever today, and Lewis himself went as well as ever in between the moments of high drama.

He was very lucky to be able to re-start after spinning off and then being allowed to pass the Safety Car and regain the best part of a lap. I've never seen that happen before.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:35 (Ref:1970384)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well, it is a new rule...
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:38 (Ref:1970385)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
I've never seen that happen before.
Me neither. Probably down to the new rules for this season.Interesting that he had to wait for one and a half minutes before he was allowed to pass.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:41 (Ref:1970388)   #15
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Well, it is a new rule...
I remembered that just as I hit the Post Quick Reply Button! Still think the re-start after being hoisted was pushing the limit a bit. Time was when only Schumi would have got away with that. But credit to him for keeping the engine running.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 18:41 (Ref:1970389)   #16
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its just brought him back down to Earth a bit. At the end of the day though he's still 2 points ahead of Alonso which is still remarkable for a rookie of any calibre. Massa, Alonso and Kimi have all had bad weekends so it didnt take much to think Hamilton would have his sooner or later. There'll be things he learnt and probably a few things he'll make the same mistake with but overall he had that cushion in the WDC standings so i think perhaps had he been within a handful of points to the Ferrari's or Alonso, we couldve seen him make some errors fighting for points towards the end. That didnt seem to materialise though.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 19:11 (Ref:1970405)   #17
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He drove well, but all of the good breaks that fell his way during the first half of the season all came back at him at once this weekend. What does it tell us? Lewis Hamilton is capable of having a poor weekend. That's it. No harbinger for a total collapse, no conspiracy theories, no fall from grace. He just didn't have it today.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 19:21 (Ref:1970420)   #18
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The biggest mistake was the daft tyre choice, which the team should have protected him from. Being the championship leader, points were more important than a roll of the dice.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 19:24 (Ref:1970424)   #19
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
It tells us that he is a fighter, is prepared to try, never give up and can set fastest race laps even when the odds are against him. Several times in the afternoon he set fastest lap of the race to that point and few drivers on the track were actually faster than him.

There is nothing wrong. Character building yes, but don't start he degenerating garbage the popular media will get into now he didn't finish on the podium or we'll get 'Hamilton to Ferrari, Red Bull or Williams' threads... ..
Old 22 Jul 2007, 19:43 (Ref:1970442)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Showed that while he's still immensely talented, he still does have one or two things to learn.

I think the lapped driver rule is absolutely ridiculous and Hamilton threw that all away with a daft tyre choice...
Old 22 Jul 2007, 20:33 (Ref:1970498)   #21
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ITV excelled themselves. I am not sure i can remember one line of commentary all weekend that did not have the name of Lewis Hamilton in it. The papers now have him as defying death. The sainthood can only be around the corner.
Lewistastic
Old 22 Jul 2007, 20:39 (Ref:1970502)   #22
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What did this weekend say about Hamilton?

He's human and will make some errors, he's also a very talanted peddler and is also willing to take some chances. It's all good
Old 22 Jul 2007, 20:52 (Ref:1970514)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
It shows that if a wheels falls off the car unexpectedly he can crash.
It shows that he (with his team) can make a poor choice on tyres.
It shows he can't overcome a massive tyre disadvantage.

It also shows that he did kep trying despite the above even though it led to no reward.

Shocker of a race for him.
It has all been said in this in this post, I would just add that some of you should see what it feels like to hit a tyre wall at 150MPH before being critical of his performance today...
Old 22 Jul 2007, 21:46 (Ref:1970559)   #24
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...That he has friends in high places, including a Crane driver!
Old 22 Jul 2007, 21:58 (Ref:1970565)   #25
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
...That he has friends in high places, including a Crane driver!

Pretty funny Rennen..I have never seen that before the car plus the driver being hosted into the air..