Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 19 Jul 2000, 21:42 (Ref:24216)   #1
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

As a Mini enthusiast, I enjoy looking at websites across the world, to see how our buzz-bomb is received elsewhere.

I was not prepared for this though...

Quote:
Year: 1977 Model: Austin Mini 1000cc
Description :
Right hand drive
Green & White with brown interior
White sport wheels
Excellent condition
Just Imported from the U.K.

Price : $8,995 (Cdn)
Contact Name : Mr. Mini (call to view)
Phone :1-905-664-4067 or 800-297-7976
$9,000 for a 1977 Mini! This sort of thing would sell 'round my way from about £600, and that's on a good day! It still has it's nasty brown velour interior, for crisp's sake! ..AND white eight spokes!!!

Hey! What are the rates for export to Canada? I have a few heaps of rubbi.. I mean, restored classics I could offloa.. I mean, just bear to part with.

Old 20 Jul 2000, 03:39 (Ref:24282)   #2
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Believe it or not, those are now collector items over here ! That price may be a bit high, but it doesn't surprise me at all !
Old 20 Jul 2000, 04:02 (Ref:24290)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny thing, I was just watching the British Show, "Junkyard Wars" where 2 teams competed to build devices that would retrieve a mini from the bottom of a lake. The minis looked like pieces of junk. Only one team was able to remove the thing sucessfully.

And, believe it or not I have actually seen one of those things driving around town. People just like to be different.
Old 20 Jul 2000, 09:10 (Ref:24315)   #4
Sparky
Veteran

Minis Minis Minis I love 'em, but if I could get $9000 (about £5000?) for a 1977 R-reg 1000, complete with brown velour, I'd sell 'em all! They're great cars, just not valuable. Even my '67, which was fully restored and collectable only fetched £3500 when sold, and I had to wait for that. That's about $5000, right? Just over half what this guy's asking for a plain-Jane model!

I'm now on my 34th Mini, I built it up last week and gave it to the missus. (She destroyed no.32 in a bizarre pickle incident. )

Thinking about it, bread and butter American cars are similarly priced over here in the UK. A '77 base-model Camaro could fetch about £4000 to £5000 - easily. I know these cars can fetch good money in the States, but I suspect the average would be about a grand, right?

Can I have a US slant on things?
Old 20 Jul 2000, 12:45 (Ref:24356)   #5
Regs
Rookie

Regs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are a couple of Mini's scooting about here in my town and you never fail to notice them. People are always like "Hey there's one of those Mini's" and then they'll go on about a trip they took to England way back when. So they have an effect. I would venture to say there would definitely be a market for them if they were more easily available. As for cars like Camaro's and Firebirds, the Seventies were thier era, a grand would get you a real poor one that you'd rather use for parts. Even better are the Chrysler Barracuda and Dodge Challenger with thier Hemi engines. Much harder cars to find and far more valuble. I'll look in my local paper for prices. I didn't know there was much of a market for those kind of cars outside Canada and the U.S. What's hot now are Hot Rods! Remember those? Some guy will find an old Model T chassis and body, restore it and put something like a dragsterized 350 cu.in. in the front, and an outrageous paintjob on the body(like a dark metalflake purple with yellow orange flames or something). Also I'm seeing a lot of Shelby Cobra's. They're sold as kits or packages that you assemble(or have assembled), and depending on a lot of variables you can be into one for around $15,000 to $60,000(US). Can I interest you in anything?
Old 20 Jul 2000, 13:27 (Ref:24358)   #6
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regs:

I think you may mean '60s Camaros & 'cudas, not '70s. The late '60s stuff is all the rage now, the post-'73 ( emission era) stuff is a dime-a-dozen. They were considered junk when new ! That will start to change soon ( may have already - I don't pay much attentio to it any more ), though, as the newest generation of enthusiasts starts looking for old cars to play with - they don't remember how disgusted we were with the '70s stuff ( all show - no go. Remember the Screaming Chicken ?) as they weren't born yet ! Personally, I don't think that Detroit has made a decent enthusiasts car since the '69 Mustang Mach 1 !

The wildest Mini I ever saw had a Olds 215 ( aluminium V8 from the '60) installed up front, with a narrowed Ford 9" in the rear. The chassis had been stretched 12" to accomodate everything - 4" in the bonnet, 8" in the body, and widened 3", with a one piece flip-up fiberglass front end. The proportions were such that it was hard to tell it from a stock Mini at first glance, unless they were side-by-side. (The larger tires were a dead giveaway though) It would turn low 13's in the quarter, & would eat most other muscle cars for lunch ! Yes, the owner was a total lunatic, but you've got to admire his sense of humor !
Old 20 Jul 2000, 14:41 (Ref:24361)   #7
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are a couple of Minis club raced at our local road circuit and both are in excellent shape. The one race car I have some pics of is nicer as a race than it was new from the factory. They are extremely popular among Brit car collectors over here and US$10,000 is not a bad price for a nice car. Consider, a guy just down the street from where I work, restores older cars and resells them. He has a late 50s? MGA and Triumph TR3A he is asking US$15,000 each for. The cars are excellently restored and look almost new. He also has a sweet Corvette Stingray split window coupe he wants US$25,000 for as well. I have seen rusted out Bugeye Sprites going for US$3000 as well. I guess its all what your market bears.
Old 20 Jul 2000, 14:42 (Ref:24362)   #8
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not that I'm bored you understand but FYI CAD 8,995 =
£ 4,000 US$ 6,000 AUD 10,500 DEM 12,900 ITL 12,773,000 NLG 14,500 SEK 55,200 and for our Asian readers JPY 659,300 approx.

Personally the Mach one and the Roadrunner are my fav's

and as for wild , I know a chap running a 4.5 ltr TVR Tuscan engine in his ... wait for it....Hillman IMP yes honest , and bloomin' quick it is too
Old 20 Jul 2000, 17:41 (Ref:24394)   #9
Sparky
Veteran

Enzo, thanks. That's exactly what I was trying to say: Dime-a-dozen post '73 (emmisions era) cars are unloved and hence cheap in the US. But in the UK, where for some reason a 6-cylinder Camaro Berlinetta is considered a classic car, (!) The prices are high.

KC, you mention the price of the MGA and TR3A at $15,000 each. Each fully restored and as new, but they're only 1 1/2 times the price of that Mini. That's what I was trying to say. That Mini in the UK would sell for £1000 to £1500 maximum, but those fully restored '50's sportscars would be closer to £10,000. I just think he's seriously over-priced the Mini, that's all!

There's a guy who advertises used ex-police cruisers and Caprice taxis (painted as NYC cabs) for about £3,000. That would be about $5,000, right? I'm sure these high mileage motors wouldn't even sell for peanuts in the US where they originated. But in the UK, where they're a novelty, the price is artificially high. But still not as high as our Mini friend suggests!!
Old 20 Jul 2000, 20:21 (Ref:24424)   #10
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I cannot imagine that anyone would actually drive a Chevy Caprice in England with fuel the price it is there. A police interceptor version of the Chevy Caprice in the US is a potent car. They come with the LT version of the high output Corvette/Camaro engine and the 400R automatic tranny. Those cars are seriously fast for a 4500 pound whalemobile. But, everytime you get on the gas pedal hard it's like flushing the toilet.