Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 16 Nov 2007, 09:41 (Ref:2068711)   #51
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK then, what about dual carriageway / motorway driving, is that something that's taught?
It would seem not the way some people join and drive on them.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 16:04 (Ref:2068965)   #52
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My instructor took me out on a fast bit of dual carriageway and I did have some lessons in the dark but not on any unlit roads.
Also, someone learning in the confines of a big city could, I imagine, be completely freaked by speeds over 20mph!
Old 16 Nov 2007, 23:41 (Ref:2069248)   #53
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In Australia, driver licence testing is woefully inadequate and we have the road toll to prove it. We generally don't get tested on motorways or in the wet and never at night.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 01:20 (Ref:2069299)   #54
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
As regards fitting your own bulbs be warned. One of my customers decided that he would fit a bulb in his Volvo to save himself some money. He didn't know that bulbs (although they look the same) are different and put in a single filament one in place of a twin in the day run light system. The car didn't run very well and asked me to look at it. One new ECU and a big bill later he was back on the road !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Nov 2007, 10:34 (Ref:2071567)   #55
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I followed someone with no working rear lights on the M25 in heavy rain on Monday night....and was an unlit section. It was a black fiesta and not the easiest thing to see in the spray etc....

My driving instructor was reasonably ok, was taken on dual carriageways / tight twisty lanes / single track lanes / etc but still situations you aren't "taught" and you only get after you've passed the test....
Old 20 Nov 2007, 13:58 (Ref:2071718)   #56
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I blame the manufacturers, to some extent, for making it too difficult to replace bulbs easily.
Just as an aside a friend with an Audi RS6 (yes, I do have posh friends ) was going to Europe and enquired how to change the dipped beam to the r/h side. "Oh that's a dealer job sir...about £100! and another £100 to change them back"....madness. I remember some cars in the 70's/80's that had a small lever under the bonnet to do that. But that's progress for you!
Old 20 Nov 2007, 14:14 (Ref:2071731)   #57
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitmarshal
It's getting stupid now!!
If you drive on the A27 Westbound around Chichester around 1700 watch out for a tatty Black Ford Focus.
Would you believe that is the car that started this thread and I saw it again this evening, still without lights.
Trouble is I was not close enough to get the reg number.
Someone must get close enough when it parks to tell the driver surely?

Seen this one myself!

What gets me is that, try speeding on that stretch of road and this unmarked silver Mercedes police car will have you as sure as eggs is eggs.

No lights and he is nowhere to be seen.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 17:24 (Ref:2071834)   #58
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimlerman
Seen this one myself!

What gets me is that, try speeding on that stretch of road and this unmarked silver Mercedes police car will have you as sure as eggs is eggs.

No lights and he is nowhere to be seen.
If Mr Plod had lights on you would see him!!

Think that unmarked car must only work in daylight, I'v seen it a few times between 9 -5.
Old 7 Dec 2007, 10:23 (Ref:2083472)   #59
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
just thought i'd drag this up again. remember me saying earlier that the headlight unit was impossible to fit the bulb in without it coming loose? well, yesterday i got back to work with a big fire under the bonnet, which was started when the bulb was knocked loose, overheated on whatever it rested on, and caught fire...
yet to hear what the damage is and it really was just one of those things, but i think an email to bmw uk may be in order...
Old 8 Dec 2007, 09:29 (Ref:2084200)   #60
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Women and BMW drivers usually are the none observant one,s for this one!
As opposed to the lorry driver reversing down the hard shoulder when they miss the slip road?
or the tail-gating taxi driver; Volvo driver with hat etc.etc. come, come ......... we all have our prejudices - they're just not all about sex!
Old 8 Dec 2007, 09:35 (Ref:2084204)   #61
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX
we all have our prejudices - they're just not all about sex!
Sorry, you need to take that to Parc Ferme
Old 8 Dec 2007, 09:39 (Ref:2084207)   #62
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is that because they're protected?
Old 8 Dec 2007, 20:13 (Ref:2084507)   #63
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
As for my lighting problems, the second sidlight bulb went last week, but I went for my MOT yesterday at a lovely wee garage in Sidcup and the bulbs were replaced as part of the deal.

Mechanic suffered some skin loss though.....

The boss was a gem (well I would say that since he's on here, but I was a 10/10ths mystery shopper) and gave me good price for all the other work required. Shocked me that one of my fronts was down to the "canvas".
Old 8 Dec 2007, 20:54 (Ref:2084526)   #64
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
bmw, of course, deny lightbulb related fires are a common occurance. and to be fair, i'm inclined to agree with them

but seriously. what do they expect us to do, take it down to a dealership every time we need a bulb changed? we're not all housewives..
Old 8 Dec 2007, 21:08 (Ref:2084530)   #65
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
bmw, of course, deny lightbulb related fires are a common occurance. and to be fair, i'm inclined to agree with them

but seriously. what do they expect us to do, take it down to a dealership every time we need a bulb changed? we're not all housewives..

Before too long it will be a requirement ...

As cars become more and more dependant upon CAN line technology instead of using recogniseable wiring then any old bulb wont do the job...
A bulb out of a cheap shop up the town wont have the correct power drain and therefore the ECU's will detect a fault and put on an engine management light..
Getting a bulb from a dealership will come with free fitting...

Dont laugh.......Its going to happen sooner than you think..
Old 8 Dec 2007, 21:23 (Ref:2084538)   #66
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Black X,
What price FREE fitting??
Old 8 Dec 2007, 22:23 (Ref:2084566)   #67
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitmarshal
Black X,
What price FREE fitting??

The same price as progress it seems