Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 17 May 2019, 21:01 (Ref:3904409)   #51
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, it was quite a nasty one, just seemed to fly through the sky. Shows the effectiveness of roll cages and other safety devices

Still Rally Chile was great for a first time rally. Plenty of drama and challenges and Tanak, could this be his season?
Old 17 May 2019, 21:11 (Ref:3904412)   #52
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Neuville's crash in Chile was quite shocking, it reminded me of two of the biggest rally accidents I've ever seen in the sport: Makinen in Argentina 2004 and McRae in Wales 2001. The sheer violence of the crashes makes you wonder how anyone gets out of the wreck. Thankfully they all did.
I've caught up on the coverage from Chile this evening - looked to have been a good event, if anything it reminded me of rally GB. As you say Neuville's accident was huge (Solberg in Germany was the other that sprang to mind in addition to your two ) and it was good to see the crew get out relatively unscathed. Neuville's championship assault took a big hit as well - Tanak and Ogier picked up big scores this weekend and have jumped Neuville in the standings.
Old 3 Jun 2019, 20:42 (Ref:3907786)   #53
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Portugal.

Quite a dramatic rally! Fafe as always looked incredible.

Is Lappi on borrowed time at Citroen? I can't understand why he went there given where the Toyota was heading in terms of performance. Well, as much as I'm a Meeke fan, if he carries on like the super stage then maybe Lappi will have his seat back at Toyota. That kinda off so close from the end while looking like bringing much needed manufacturer points can't be good for one's standing in the team.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 07:05 (Ref:3907816)   #54
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That was a very interesting event. The dust made it a bit of a survival at times. Great win for Tanak, shame Meeke made that mistake at the end when it was looking close. Great to see Neuville back up there. And Lappi, how many times did he go off the road?
Old 4 Jun 2019, 12:00 (Ref:3907850)   #55
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Quite a dramatic rally! Fafe as always looked incredible.

Is Lappi on borrowed time at Citroen? I can't understand why he went there given where the Toyota was heading in terms of performance. Well, as much as I'm a Meeke fan, if he carries on like the super stage then maybe Lappi will have his seat back at Toyota. That kinda off so close from the end while looking like bringing much needed manufacturer points can't be good for one's standing in the team.
Lappi's and Mäkinen's relationship got strained last season so he left. But yeah, I do wonder how Lappi will bounce back from this.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 13:36 (Ref:3907883)   #56
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It seems like only Toyota and Hyundai are making effort, Citroen thinks that great driver can save them, M-Sport probably doesn't have resources to be up there.

I'm 100% that Lappi didn't left because of the car, it had to be some other reason in the team.
Old 13 Jun 2019, 09:25 (Ref:3909748)   #57
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Interesting voting results:
https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/june...1--12-12-.html

Curently 51% for Tanak and only 5% Ogier
Old 13 Jun 2019, 10:10 (Ref:3909756)   #58
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
Interesting voting results:
https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/june...1--12-12-.html

Curently 51% for Tanak and only 5% Ogier
Seems reasonable - the Toyota looks to be the quickest car at the moment (and the Citroen is arguably the slowest), whilst Tanak and Ogier are both driving well. So I'd certainly expect Tanak to beat Ogier if they both have clean runs. Even if Tanak hits problems there are plenty of other drivers that could realistically beat Ogier - Neuville, Latvala, Meeke should all be in with a shout.
Old 14 Jun 2019, 10:06 (Ref:3910057)   #59
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Well Ogier won't be winning now - he's done for the day. Suninen had been going well in the Fiesta but has dropped back now. We're back to a Toyota 1-2 now with Latvala leading the way.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 01:41 (Ref:3912346)   #60
NSX_LeMans
Racer

NSX_LeMans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just finished watching RedBullTV coverage, didn't know if I was watching 2019 WRC or 2016 Le Mans. Spanish drivers have been luck this weekend.

Lehtinen experience seems to have made a difference, this is quite a good result for M-Sport, who are now catching up with Citroen in the manufacturers championship.
Old 18 Jun 2019, 13:45 (Ref:3912662)   #61
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I caught up on the coverage from the weekend - brutal result for Tanak. He had it in the bag and then lost all that time on the final stage. It could have been a great weekend for Tanak with Neuville struggling all weekend and Ogier dropping out but in the end none of the 3 main contenders ended up with a good result. Strong showing from M-Sport - how much of that was genuine pace and how much was other people's struggles? Another weekend to forget for Lappi, he's having a really poor season, whereas Mikkelsen put in his strongest drive for some time - I did think Hyundai were going to pull team orders and drop Mikkelsen behind Neuville but they didn't - will that come back to bite them?
Old 18 Jun 2019, 14:10 (Ref:3912666)   #62
S griffin
Veteran

Unlucky for Tanak, especially with Ogier not scoring much. He would have really looked good in the championship. Still nice to see Sordo back on the podium
Old 25 Jun 2019, 09:32 (Ref:3914072)   #63
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Hyundai are bringing in Craig Breen for Finland (alongside Neuville and Mikklesen):

https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/june...3--12-12-.html

It's a good opportunity for Breen but it's a bit of a random decision isn't it? They've got Loeb and Sordo on their books already so I'm not sure why they need to bring in Breen.
Old 25 Jun 2019, 09:59 (Ref:3914076)   #64
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Hyundai are bringing in Craig Breen for Finland (alongside Neuville and Mikklesen):

https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/june...3--12-12-.html

It's a good opportunity for Breen but it's a bit of a random decision isn't it? They've got Loeb and Sordo on their books already so I'm not sure why they need to bring in Breen.
Neither of them wanted to compete in Finland.
Old 25 Jun 2019, 11:42 (Ref:3914109)   #65
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Neither of them wanted to compete in Finland.
Really? Firstly - why not? It's one of the classic events. Secondly - surely if Hyundai said "you're driving" then they drive? Very odd.
Old 25 Jun 2019, 12:40 (Ref:3914117)   #66
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Really? Firstly - why not? It's one of the classic events. Secondly - surely if Hyundai said "you're driving" then they drive? Very odd.
Both have contracts for a certain number of rounds and both have filled in for Mikkelsen when he have gotten benched.

Loeb said it was vacation time so it was a no-go. Sordo just didn't want to compete in Finland.

So Hyundai was put in rough spot with Adamo trying to figure out what to do. There is an Autosport article about it.

Last edited by crossfades; 25 Jun 2019 at 12:45.
Old 25 Jun 2019, 15:22 (Ref:3914139)   #67
S griffin
Veteran

It's nice to see Breen being given the chance, although it is bit weird that neither Loeb or Sordo want to do Finland
Old 26 Jun 2019, 08:43 (Ref:3914243)   #68
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Also you'd have thought they might have given Paddon a call. Good for Breen though - and he's getting an outing at rally Estonia before Finland so he'll have had some seat time before Finland.
Old 26 Jun 2019, 18:51 (Ref:3914329)   #69
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Kalle Rovanpera has a full time drive for Toyota next season - so who's out? Meeke or Latavla? (or both)
Old 26 Jun 2019, 20:38 (Ref:3914337)   #70
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Also you'd have thought they might have given Paddon a call. Good for Breen though - and he's getting an outing at rally Estonia before Finland so he'll have had some seat time before Finland.
Paddon posted on Facebook about it and was pretty disappointed. Apparently they had some dialog, with Paddon happy to get whatever time he could in the seat, even if it was just testing. Personally I feel sorry for him as he is one of my favourite motorsport profiles.

Quote:
Kalle Rovanpera has a full time drive for Toyota next season - so who's out? Meeke or Latavla? (or both)
Wilson wanted Tänak in M-Sport and with the Yaris not being completely reliable, I think there is a possibility he might leave. But yes, Meeke and Latvala haven't been too impressive so it is probably more reasonable that one of them gets cut.
Old 26 Jun 2019, 21:14 (Ref:3914340)   #71
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Paddon posted on Facebook about it and was pretty disappointed. Apparently they had some dialog, with Paddon happy to get whatever time he could in the seat, even if it was just testing. Personally I feel sorry for him as he is one of my favourite motorsport profiles.
Paddon seems like a nice guy and I really don't know why Hyundai didn't put him in the car - he's running all sorts of Hyundais in his other commitments at the moment so he's clearly still 'in the family'. If they needed another driver I'd have thought he'd have been first choice.

Quote:
Wilson wanted Tänak in M-Sport and with the Yaris not being completely reliable, I think there is a possibility he might leave. But yes, Meeke and Latvala haven't been too impressive so it is probably more reasonable that one of them gets cut.
It's a tricky one for Tanak - the Toyota looks to be the fastest car at the moment but it also seems the most fragile. Would the Fiesta be enough though? M-Sport hit the ground running with the new regs but how much development can they do compared with the manufacturer teams? The Fiesta looks to be dropping back in the pecking order so he'd be trading fast and fragile for slow and more reliable. I can't see Tanak leaving (I'd also imagine Toyota can pay considerably more than M-Sport). It'll be an interesting set of driver moves for next year (even more so if Ogier retires - as he always seems to be on the brink of doing).
Old 27 Jun 2019, 08:55 (Ref:3914396)   #72
S griffin
Veteran

I'm not sure why Tanak would leave a seat in what is possibly the best car, unless he has more faith in the Ford in terms of reliability
Old 27 Jun 2019, 11:12 (Ref:3914410)   #73
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I'm not sure why Tanak would leave a seat in what is possibly the best car, unless he has more faith in the Ford in terms of reliability
That's the trade off - speed vs reliability. I have to say though I'd be very surprised if he left Toyota.

In other rally news Neuville will compete in the Ypres rally with an i20 WRC and Marko Martin will compete in rally Estonia in a Fiesta WRC. Both Ypres and rally Estonia are looking like great events this year.
Old 3 Jul 2019, 20:33 (Ref:3915747)   #74
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Well Paddon didn't get the call from Hyundai - but he's got a run in Finland in an M-Sport Fiesta! Funding looks to be coming from his own backers.
Old 9 Jul 2019, 21:01 (Ref:3916747)   #75
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well Paddon didn't get the call from Hyundai - but he's got a run in Finland in an M-Sport Fiesta! Funding looks to be coming from his own backers.
Fantastic. I like the guy. About time. All the best to him.