Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Feb 2004, 09:40 (Ref:886001)   #1
oziengineer
Racer

oziengineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota, Coulthard and Schumacher

I read recently that Ralf and David will be fighting for a seat next to christiano da matta at toyota in 2005. Has anyone else heard about this and is it possible to happen?
Old 26 Feb 2004, 10:35 (Ref:886055)   #2
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, a queue forms for those who want to get whipped by Cristiano.

Last edited by Mattracer; 26 Feb 2004 at 10:36.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 26 Feb 2004, 11:08 (Ref:886095)   #3
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm old news

The Grumpy1
Old 26 Feb 2004, 11:11 (Ref:886100)   #4
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please not Coulthard, PLEASE. Ralf's better in my opinion, and I don't rate him much.

Stick with Chris and shoe in Briscoe or Dixon. That'd be dynamite.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 11:23 (Ref:886116)   #5
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'd prefer to see someone new alongside Da Matta, but if it means another seat is freed at Williams for Button then Ralf can go, and i'd think we'd truly see how good he is.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 11:40 (Ref:886127)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
My money's on Dixon.....if he wins Indy 500 and/or IRL again.

Or, they'll sign some current F1 driver who is either:
a/ overrated
or
b/ a has been

Hmmmmmm, i reckon there's at least two candidates there?

Old 26 Feb 2004, 11:48 (Ref:886134)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why all the negativity surrounding these two. Both have proven experience of developing good cars, and know how to gel a team to move up the gri. Their salaries will be no object to Toyota either. Unless da Matta shws signs of beign able to lead the team, pairing him up with a rookie would be disasterous. Dixon is best kept in the IRL, even in CART his best displays were on ovals. New Zealand isn't even a huge market, so commercial factors don't make him a wise choice.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 12:21 (Ref:886171)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I wasn't singling anyone out in particular but i take your point about experience of development.

However, the donkey work has been pretty much done now. What Toyota will need and i suspect be wanting a couple of drivers who will give it their all and be quick consistently.

It would be better to offer the 2nd car to a newer driver with potential, rather than take on an experienced guy who the management may know won't exactly set the world alight. Giving one of the more senior members of their 'academy' a chance would be good.

Unless Da Matta flops this year he will remain and if he does well, which he is showing signs that he may well do, then he may well become the 'no 1'.

In fairness, Toyota are not far away now and i think they'd be better off signing either a real ace ( not another seasoned pro) or a coming man who is recognized.

They wouldn't pick Dixon on his nationality, they'd pick him cos he's on their books and is pretty well known in the States, which is where their big market is.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 12:32 (Ref:886182)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely the issue for Toyota is to get the car on the pace before they need to look too much at driver line up's.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 12:35 (Ref:886188)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by chunterer
My money's on Dixon.....if he wins Indy 500 and/or IRL again.
Yeah, and watch him get all confused when he comes up to a right-hand corner!

DC would seem like a good choice. Years of work at McLaren would make him a good choice as a veteran team-mate, much like Panis.

But Toyota may want to plump for youth over experience with their next driver change. I hear Briscoe's name being called....

As for Ralf, ugh...
Old 26 Feb 2004, 12:56 (Ref:886226)   #11
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Um, no point having another seasoned campaigner in the team. The car is probably near enough to pace as it is but needs someone really quick to pedal it and start probing that limit.

Da Matta might be able to do that. DC has had his chance and he isn't consistently quick. Toyota have done the groundwork, they don't need another experienced guy. only reason they could possibly want RS or DC is for a little bit of profile, eg McLaren always had to have 'name' drivers in their team wherever possible, but aren't so fussed about that anymore.

Briscoe is in frame i guess but from what i've seen Toyota had to re-establish him in F3 before he started to show some form and pound for pound i don't think he's as good as Dixon.

Scott reminds me of Greg Moore for his pace, and Prost for his cool head (Kanaan shunt aside!)

PS See the newspaper quote on the Antipodean drivers thread.

If Scott isn't signed up to race an F1 car next year it won't be because he hasn't got the talent or potential, but we'll see
Old 26 Feb 2004, 15:09 (Ref:886353)   #12
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota needs a good car more than they need great drivers. I think everyone is going to be shocked how much off the pace they will be this year. In testing they have been very poor, even with the "best motor in F1". I would go with DC. He has his moments but he has years of experience and is a better racer than RS.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 15:18 (Ref:886360)   #13
Cobra
Racer

Cobra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Toyota start to show the promise early this season that I was expecting from them last year, they might find themselves a Japanese driver to give their home fans something to cheer about.
As a part timer I have been away, now having read through a lot of the forum it seems that Panis has been well and truly written off according to peoples opinions, but he is still the one with the experience.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 22:55 (Ref:886808)   #14
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They need a driver who has experience of developing and setting up a championship winning car, they need coultard. But they will probably get shue lite 'cause hes German
Old 27 Feb 2004, 06:53 (Ref:887003)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ralf vs. DC? Let's have a poll to see if anyone thinks that qualifies as a fight. I think the question has to be asked, why not Panis? Everyone would agree that he's done quiet well at Toyota. He might be old, but he really seems to want to continue to drive and he's not slowing down. F1 drivers don't seem to get "too old" now adays, they quit before then.

PS. If one more person posts about Dixon I'll....
Old 27 Feb 2004, 09:31 (Ref:887108)   #16
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You think they might get Jos Verstappen?
Old 27 Feb 2004, 11:53 (Ref:887235)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jos? Not if they have any sense. DC, Ralf and Panis are all better in virtually every respect, and money is no object for Toyota.

Neil, they certainly haven't made any major impact in testing, but then neither have Jaguar or the non-works teams. It could be that the top 5 teams are very much clear of the rest this year.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 11:59 (Ref:887240)   #18
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Lets see...

da Matta for about $2-3m and rapidly improving
Briscoe or Courtney for about $1m maybe and ??

Jos for $0 and 0 performance
DC for $8.5m and mediocre
RS for $15m and mediocre

...is this decision easy or what?
Old 27 Feb 2004, 13:22 (Ref:887319)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Please save us from the Briscoe and Courtney crowd again!

If Panis leaves, and I don't think he necessarily will, you're far more likely to see an experienced driver in the car.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 13:46 (Ref:887342)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by deeks6
Lets see...

da Matta for about $2-3m and rapidly improving
Briscoe or Courtney for about $1m maybe and ??

Jos for $0 and 0 performance
DC for $8.5m and mediocre
RS for $15m and mediocre

...is this decision easy or what?
Ah, but if you are Toyota does it work like this? I know Toyota doesn't have an bottomless pit of money, but maybe £15m isn't that much of an issue for them. Also they are buying someone who has come from a big team - which must be worth something.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 14:08 (Ref:887364)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Right on Adam. DC or Ralf is a fundamental achievement for Toyota. Months ago, I would say RB was the favourite for that seat...
Old 27 Feb 2004, 14:42 (Ref:887386)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Purely rating Ralf or DC's significance to Toyota on the basis of percieved pace strikes me as narrow-minded. Their knowledge in gelling the team, car development, and race strategy (which was Toyota's worst area last season), will be worth its weight in gold.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 16:36 (Ref:887470)   #23
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panis seams to think he is staying at toyota next season
Old 27 Feb 2004, 16:54 (Ref:887491)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly. It's the old story - whoever is among the oldest drivers in F1 always faces the "must be retiring soon" claims.
Old 27 Feb 2004, 17:17 (Ref:887517)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by hamsmith
Panis seams to think he is staying at toyota next season
That's what Salo and McNish were thinking before they got sacked...