Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 24 Jan 2011, 02:38 (Ref:2819702)   #51
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Day by day, I'm starting to think Brundle is a very bitter man.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 02:48 (Ref:2819706)   #52
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
& how would history have judged Brundle if he'd got the Williams drive instead of Hill. He was strongly considered & thought he'd got it, until Frank changed his mind at the very last minute, after concerted lobbying by the Williams test team. Hill became World Champion, Brundle did not but the results (& opinions) could have been very different. We'll never know.
What if Alesi got the ride with Williams a few years later? I think the results would say that he'd have fared better than Patrese, or Brundle for that matter.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 10:54 (Ref:2819797)   #53
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It doesn't matter how good/bad Martin Brundle was as a driver.

He's a media pundit now and even if he was an English Giovanni Lavaggi whilst driving, in his role as media pundit and as a fan of the sport he should call it as he sees it.

I think Brundle was an excellent driver but in F1 got very unlucky. Each and every year, it was wrong place, wrong time.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 12:27 (Ref:2819835)   #54
Angus Theape
Rookie

Angus Theape should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
It doesn't matter how good/bad Martin Brundle was as a driver.

He's a media pundit now and even if he was an English Giovanni Lavaggi whilst driving, in his role as media pundit and as a fan of the sport he should call it as he sees it.

I think Brundle was an excellent driver but in F1 got very unlucky. Each and every year, it was wrong place, wrong time.
Brundle was a good F1 driver, but an exceptionally poor selector of cars. The point I was making was that he never had the results you would have expected in F1 from his F3 career. He was the only driver to seriously challenge Senna in an F3 car. Drives where he did perform to his ability in F3 for some reason finished up being ended by lapped cars, ie Detroit. And when he needed to perform, Spa 93, he failed. Certainly as good if not better than Alesi who basically always had the car and never lived up to his hype.

To start a real arguement. How about drivers who had the car and never rose above it to make it win. I am discussing drivers who only won with the winning car under them and never made a non winning car win.

1st candidate? David Coulthard?
Old 24 Jan 2011, 13:29 (Ref:2819868)   #55
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
If Flav was a real talent spotter...
I'd suggest he was much better as a spotter of earnings potential than driving potential.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 13:30 (Ref:2819869)   #56
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Theape View Post
Brundle was a good F1 driver, but an exceptionally poor selector of cars.

Drives where he did perform to his ability in F3 for some reason finished up being ended by lapped cars, ie Detroit. And when he needed to perform, Spa 93, he failed.

Certainly as good if not better than Alesi who basically always had the car and never lived up to his hype.
The selector bit, well he might only have had certain choices to make at any time, and if there was nothing at all available he popped off to WSPC with Jaguar.

I reckon for the races when he needed to perform, you probably mean F1 for Detroit and '92 for the Spa example?

Not really sure that Brundle was 'better' than Alesi. The amount of times Jean had his Ferrari's further up the road than they belonged (for example, Mexico 1991 was an inspired drive until he spun it out of contention), or times where they simply broke down (think Monza '94 when he was miles in the lead) meant he would have won loads more races just for Maranello.

He generally couldn't hold a candle to Prost most of the time in 1991 but then that isn't something to sniff at for any driver. I reckon he was the quickest teammate Alain had after Senna.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 13:32 (Ref:2819871)   #57
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
To start a real argument. How about drivers who had the car and never rose above it to make it win. I am discussing drivers who only won with the winning car under them and never made a non winning car win.

Angus that's a good idea, but do you think you might fancy starting a new thread for this subject?
Old 24 Jan 2011, 15:30 (Ref:2819934)   #58
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Brundle was a good F1 driver, but an exceptionally poor selector of cars. The point I was making was that he never had the results you would have expected in F1 from his F3 career. He was the only driver to seriously challenge Senna in an F3 car. Drives where he did perform to his ability in F3 for some reason finished up being ended by lapped cars, ie Detroit. And when he needed to perform, Spa 93, he failed. Certainly as good if not better than Alesi who basically always had the car and never lived up to his hype.

To start a real arguement. How about drivers who had the car and never rose above it to make it win. I am discussing drivers who only won with the winning car under them and never made a non winning car win.

Laughable, as the only top car he ever drove was the 96 Benetton, and he was running away with it at Monaco. Basically he spent most of his career in also ran cars, much the same as Robert Kubica up to this point. And people still think highly of him. The guy wasn't without fault but to say he's overrated is questionable.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2819951)   #59
Angus Theape
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
The selector bit, well he might only have had certain choices to make at any time, and if there was nothing at all available he popped off to WSPC with Jaguar.

I reckon for the races when he needed to perform, you probably mean F1 for Detroit and '92 for the Spa example?

Not really sure that Brundle was 'better' than Alesi. The amount of times Jean had his Ferrari's further up the road than they belonged (for example, Mexico 1991 was an inspired drive until he spun it out of contention), or times where they simply broke down (think Monza '94 when he was miles in the lead) meant he would have won loads more races just for Maranello.

He generally couldn't hold a candle to Prost most of the time in 1991 but then that isn't something to sniff at for any driver. I reckon he was the quickest teammate Alain had after Senna.
Soory, brain fade and it was 92 at Spa.

As for Alesi and Monza 94. His great friend Nigel Roebuck even reported what he did. Alesi half selected 1st gear, let the clutch up and stripped the gear. He then repeated the action on 2nd gear. Hardly the cars fault.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 20:07 (Ref:2820070)   #60
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Soory, brain fade and it was 92 at Spa.

As for Alesi and Monza 94. His great friend Nigel Roebuck even reported what he did. Alesi half selected 1st gear, let the clutch up and stripped the gear. He then repeated the action on 2nd gear. Hardly the cars fault.
Ha ha great stuff, I bow to your greater memory Angus.

Clearly I chose the wrong example for my response to you, but there were plenty of other ocassions when something or someone ruined his chances of the top result.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 23:33 (Ref:2820138)   #61
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Laughable, as the only top car he ever drove was the 96 Benetton, and he was running away with it at Monaco. Basically he spent most of his career in also ran cars, much the same as Robert Kubica up to this point. And people still think highly of him. The guy wasn't without fault but to say he's overrated is questionable.
Yeah and the '96 Benetton was effectively a Schumacher car that was constructed in such a way that noone else could drive but Schumacher.
Old 25 Jan 2011, 00:47 (Ref:2820163)   #62
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If Sir Jackie Stewart had said something similar to this, would we be questioning his credibility so intensely
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 25 Jan 2011, 02:06 (Ref:2820179)   #63
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
If Sir Jackie Stewart had said something similar to this, would we be questioning his credibility so intensely
Lets keep it to apples and apples..... I dont think anyone is saying Martin Brundle was in the league of Sir Jackie Stewart, which of course is not what you have said, but I think JYS has his critics over certain controversial statements he has made, as much as if not more than other pundits.

As for would we question it if JYS HAD said what Brundle did...... lets not forget in a similar vein within the last month or so JYS has already stated that he rates the current Formula 1 pack as the 'best ever', and believes the likes of Sebastian Vettel can be compared to legends such as Jim Clark, Jack Brabham and Graham Hill.

He copped an awful lor of criticism for that little gem. Even in this forum.
Old 25 Jan 2011, 10:17 (Ref:2820274)   #64
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah and the '96 Benetton was effectively a Schumacher car that was constructed in such a way that noone else could drive but Schumacher.
So much so that Berger, and I think Alesi shunted it heavily during the first test sessions that they drove it!

Come to mention it not many guys 'got on' with Benetton chassis' designed around Michael did they?!!!
Old 25 Jan 2011, 12:26 (Ref:2820329)   #65
Angus Theape
Rookie

Quote:
So much so that Berger, and I think Alesi shunted it heavily during the first test sessions that they drove it!

Come to mention it not many guys 'got on' with Benetton chassis' designed around Michael did they?!!!
Well Johnny Herbert, with assistance from Damon Hill, won twice in 95 and that is with two broken legs to one.
Old 25 Jan 2011, 13:06 (Ref:2820351)   #66
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:

Nigel Roebuck talks about it in this month's Motorsport. He was talking to Berger and said that the 96 Benetton was nuts to drive, that the car was all front end so much so it was almost like there was no rear wheels! He said, in his lengthy career, that he'd never experienced a car like it. If there is any substance to that it might half explain Schumacher's woes this year.
Old 25 Jan 2011, 13:52 (Ref:2820379)   #67
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Nigel Roebuck talks about it in this month's Motorsport. He was talking to Berger and said that the 96 Benetton was nuts to drive, that the car was all front end so much so it was almost like there was no rear wheels! He said, in his lengthy career, that he'd never experienced a car like it. If there is any substance to that it might half explain Schumacher's woes this year.
That's a coincidence! ha ha..

Schu loved the front end going in first with a wobbly rear IIRC. He should still love that now?
Old 25 Jan 2011, 13:55 (Ref:2820381)   #68
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Well Johnny Herbert, with assistance from Damon Hill, won twice in 95 and that is with two broken legs to one.
Impey hated that car as well though remember. He did bloody well to go as well as he did.

The cars got more and more Schue esque from 1993 onwards. Patrese struggled, Lehto broke his neck trying to drive the thing hard, Jos and Johnny struggled and then it was Alesi and Berger.

The one thing in common incidentally about these guys is that they've all been considered overrated by people (not all of them by Brundle I must say) and I wonder if this is because of their times at Benetton!!!