Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Jan 2011, 12:06 (Ref:2810951)   #26
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
They were never disqualified. Walkinshaw dropped his protest against Longhursts car after it won. But Bondy had a big fight against the protest on his Turbo that went on for months. In the end the charge could not be proven and the fact it was purchased from Garrets the protest was thrown out.

I really believe now as I did then that Walkinshaws protest was to upset the race prep on the leading Sierras, I dont think he expected to find anything but by protesting suspensions and engines etc and having them taken apart before the race it did upset the teams involved. One interesting point was the only Sierra team up there that he didn't protest was the ANZ Allan Moffat team. Which were running Eggenberger Sierras and which only a year before had been found to be illegal.

Quite right, no Sierras were disqualified, but both factory HSV Commodores were outed. They were found guilty of using the VK Commodore steering rack and modifying the crossmember to suit it. The VK's was preferable to the VL's variable ratio rack, but it wasn't homologated for use. Neal Lowe - formerly with the HDT - knew this, protested, and both cars were disqualified. I've never seen this reflected in race results, though.

I agree with you about the purpose of Walkinshaw's protest, but wonder why he didn't protest either the Eggenberger car of Moffat's, Wolf car of Mark Petch, or either of the Miedecke Sierras (which had Eggenberger drivers aboard). Maybe the conspiracy theory that it was orchestrated by Eggenberger as payback for the year before wasn't far off?
Old 5 Jan 2011, 00:09 (Ref:2811274)   #27
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was strang thought that he did protest the CMS Team from Sweden of Ulf Granberg and Kiwi Inky Tulloch, didn't matter much as they only lasted a few laps, but it was the only European Sierra Protested. I often wondered that after the arse kicking that the Eurpeans got at the hands of Dick and John Bowe at Silverstone weather Eggenberger was giving Walkinshaw info on what he believes was making the cars so fast and he protested accordingly
Old 5 Jan 2011, 03:45 (Ref:2811314)   #28
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If payback was the motivation from the Eggenberger camp, why didnt the protest in the B&H Sierra stick, I mean Mr Gardner was the team boss there, and wasnt it JPS BMW's protest that saw the Eggenberger cars scrubbed the previous year?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Jan 2011, 05:15 (Ref:2811320)   #29
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
There was a lot of pressure on about not having a second year were the winner of the race is not know till months latter, so Walkinshaw agreed to drop it on what ever Sierra won the race. I think it was just bad luck for them that it was a Gardner car that won
Old 5 Jan 2011, 05:37 (Ref:2811321)   #30
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed. Walkinshaw advised the organisers he was dropping the protest at 11am. At that point the Eggenberger car was in the lead with Longhurst right behind but soon to lose a lap fixing a sticking throttle.
Old 5 Jan 2011, 09:08 (Ref:2811373)   #31
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
The atmosphere in the HSV pit that weekend was pretty poisonous and it had nothing to do with the protest. The relationship between TWR and Perkins wasn't a good one and was made even worse when Perkins car was considerably quick than the UK Built TWR Commodore. TWR didn't take too well by being shown up. The fact that Walkinshaw then invoked a contractual right to take over Larry's car during the race and didn't drive to Larry's instructions which in Perkins mind caused the car to DNF was another issue too.

All in all that race weekend would have to go down as one of the most fascinating there has been and mainly for all the off track dramas
Old 5 Jan 2011, 16:46 (Ref:2811535)   #32
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To the best of my knowledge the '88 Bathurst 1000 was the last drive for Tom Walkinshaw, so a low note to end an otherwise impressive career.

Jesper
Old 6 Jan 2011, 01:48 (Ref:2811727)   #33
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
I think by that stage there was too much going on via his motor racing and business interests too be able to devote the time needed to be a professional race car driver
Old 6 Jan 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2811979)   #34
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
To the best of my knowledge the '88 Bathurst 1000 was the last drive for Tom Walkinshaw, so a low note to end an otherwise impressive career.

Jesper
Yes I was racking my brain trying to think if he'd been out in anything after that race, but haven't come up with anything?

I'm sure he must've been doing some test driving at times though, he was renowned for that.
Old 6 Jan 2011, 17:39 (Ref:2812001)   #35
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Yes I was racking my brain trying to think if he'd been out in anything after that race, but haven't come up with anything?

I'm sure he must've been doing some test driving at times though, he was renowned for that.
The only thing I could guess at would be some sort of historic racing, like at Goodwood. 1986 must have been his last season for real, as his 1987 appearances were very one-off in nature.

Jesper
Old 25 Jan 2011, 07:07 (Ref:2820226)   #36
DV_08
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
DV_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Round 4 Wanneroo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PMLaxGjF4A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UROuFo5BPWk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ulNu4_E4CM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MocO5jK2Uuw
Old 25 Jan 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2820509)   #37
Jesper OH
Veteran

Great footage from Wanneroo! Thank you very much, DV_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr View Post
South Australia Cup
Adelaide Grand Prix Circuit, SA (12/11/1988)

Circuit Length: 3.78 km
Race Distance: 32 laps
Weather: Sunny

Most of the top runners had made the trip to New Zealand, but unlike the previous year's dramas all were back in time to prepare for the last race on Australian soil for 1988. However, the entry included no Moffat or Petch Sierras, while Pukekohe-winner Andrew Miedecke was racing at the Intertec 500 in Japan.

Sierras lead from the start, but the hot conditions soon gets to them; Longhurst blows a head gasket, while both Shell cars struggle with heat-related misfires. Into the lead surge the two HSV Commodores of Perkins and Denny Hulme, to record the General's only win of 1988. It is also the marque's first win since race 1 of the 1987 AMSCAR series, and their last until the 1990 Tooheys 1000.

PositionNumberEntrantDriverCarClassRace Time/LapsRetirement CauseFastest TimeQualifying TimeGrid Position 
110Holden Special VehiclesLarry PerkinsHolden Commodore VL (TWR)A32 laps/57m25.42s  1m43.73s4 
211Holden Special VehiclesDenny HulmeHolden Commodore VL (TWR)A32 laps/57m29.26s   7 
34Caltex CXT Racing TeamColin BondFord Sierra Cosworth RS500A31 laps/60m17.77s  1m44.19s5 
405Mobil 1 Racing TeamPeter BrockBMW M3B31 laps   10 
56Garry Rogers MotorsGarry RogersHolden Commodore VL (TWR)A31 laps     
624Jagparts RacingGerald KayHolden Commodore VKA31 laps     
7 Peter Jackson Nissan RacingGeorge FuryNissan Skyline GTS-R HR-31A30 laps   8 
852J.C. FarrellJohn FarrellHolden Commodore VL (HDT)A30 laps     
971Toyota Team AustraliaJohn FaulknerToyota Corolla AE86 CoupeC30 laps   (1) 
1028Capri ComponentsLawrie NelsonFord MustangA      
DNF2I.C.L. RacingAllan GriceHolden Commodore VL (TWR)A gearbox    
DNF Peter Jackson Nissan RacingMark SkaifeNissan Skyline GTS-R HR-31A7 lapshead gasket    
DNF17Shell Ultra Hi RacingDick JohnsonFord Sierra Cosworth RS500A28 laps  1m40.70s1 
DNF18Shell Ultra Hi RacingJohn BoweFord Sierra Cosworth RS500A29 laps 1m44.58s1m41.54s3 
DNF25Benson & Hedges RacingTony LonghurstFord Sierra Cosworth RS500A7 lapshead gasket 1m41.41s2 
DNF1Mobil 1 Racing TeamJim RichardsBMW M3B engine    
DNF72Toyota Team AustraliaMike OliverToyota Corolla AE82 HatchC      
DNF88David SalaDavid SalaNissan GazelleB7 laps     
 26Strathfield Car RadiosTony NoskeHolden Commodore VL (TWR)A      
 46Sunliner CampmobilesTony HunterHolden Commodore VKA      
 22Lusty Engineering Pty LtdKen LustyHolden Commodore VL (TWR)A      
 50Leeson Civil EngineeringGarry WillmingtonHolden Commodore VL (TWR)A      
 34Phil Ward Automotive ServicesPhil WardMercedes-Benz 190E-16B      
 49Wayne ParkWayne ParkHolden Commodore VL (HDT)A      
DNF38Grellis MarketingRay EllisHolden Commodore VL (HDT)A      
 3Yellow PagesPeter McLeodHolden Commodore VL (TWR)A      
DNF42Hella Australia Pty LtdLarry KoggeNissan Skyline DR-30A      
 13Bob Holden MotorsBob HoldenToyota Corolla AE86 LiftbackC      
 20Finnigan Mathews RacingKen MathewsHolden Commodore VL (TWR)A      
 75Belgrave 2-Way Radio Services Toyota Corolla AE86 LiftbackC      
 87Joe SommarivaJoe SommarivaBMW 635 CSiA      
 44A. MulvihillTony MulvihillHolden Commodore VL (TWR)A      
 73Toyota Team Australia?Toyota Corolla AE82 HatchC      
DNF51Bob Holden MotorsDennis RogersToyota Corolla AE86 LiftbackC      
?23BeaurepairesChris LambdenHolden Commodore VL (TWR)A      
Updates of results from Autosport. A look in the AMRY 1988/89 book there's a picture of one of the Peter Jackson Nissan and both Shell Sierras from Adelaide, with the #30 Skyline said to be Skaife. This is the usual George Fury number, so who raced what among the Nissans?

Jesper
Old 26 Jan 2011, 10:28 (Ref:2820740)   #38
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
From what i remeber of that race it was extremly hot and the Sierras couldnt cope with the extreme heat
Old 13 Feb 2011, 13:27 (Ref:2830549)   #39
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
bent65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They started using Motec in 1989 which was a horror season for them.
The motec was used throughout 88. Richard bendell has told me it was one of the earliest uses in a racecar And an exciting time for his company .
Motec Proudly advertised their 88 results (3rd ATCC, Amscar champs and 3rd & 5th Bathurst)
in auto action. The original motec is still in the car today.
Old 18 Mar 2011, 12:38 (Ref:2848070)   #40
sonarbell
Rookie

England
Leicester
sonarbell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if anyone is interested but just posted this:-)

http://www.youtube.com/user/sonarbel.../4/YX9Pd9S7hYg
Old 23 Apr 2011, 06:38 (Ref:2868472)   #41
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by bent65 View Post
The motec was used throughout 88. Richard bendell has told me it was one of the earliest uses in a racecar And an exciting time for his company .
Motec Proudly advertised their 88 results (3rd ATCC, Amscar champs and 3rd & 5th Bathurst)
in auto action. The original motec is still in the car today.
Ok thanks for that wasnt aware they were using them so soon. Wasn't Perkins using Motec from the inception of the Injected Group A Commodore?
Old 17 Sep 2011, 12:11 (Ref:2956833)   #42
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
It was strang thought that he did protest the CMS Team from Sweden of Ulf Granberg and Kiwi Inky Tulloch, didn't matter much as they only lasted a few laps, but it was the only European Sierra Protested. I often wondered that after the arse kicking that the Eurpeans got at the hands of Dick and John Bowe at Silverstone weather Eggenberger was giving Walkinshaw info on what he believes was making the cars so fast and he protested accordingly
A really random thought- I certainly don't think I've ever seen anything in print to suggest it's the truth.
The Swedish CMS Sierra (supplied as a kit of parts from Andy Rouse IIRC) had also been at Silverstone- I think it was the race debut for the car. Could there have been some potential issue with the Swedish car that Walkinshaw was already aware of from Silverstone which led to it being included in the protest, while the other two European-sourced (Moffatt/Eggenberger and Petch/Wolf) Sierras weren't?
Old 29 Oct 2013, 13:13 (Ref:3324727)   #43
Holden308
Rookie

Holden308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know its been over two years since anyone posted in this thread......but I will bump anyway.

Didn't Bondy's team actually find that the protest lodged by Walkinshaw was illegal and should never of been allowed to proceed? Under the rules only an entrant in the race could lodge a formal protest. The fact was that Walkinshaw lodged his protest under his TWR licence, but the entire HSV team (including car #20) were actually entered by Perkins. The stewards of the meeting (both the ARDC and FISA) completely stuffed up by acting on the protest. Of course it could have been easily rectified by Perkins protesting, which I've no doubt he would have if it was needed.

I find it ironic that the Sierra's were eventually cleared (even if the Longhurst car had its protest withdrawn) while the 3 HSV team cars were found to be illegal. All through the ATCC Perkins had been telling anyone who'd listen that the Sierra's weren't legal (in his opinion), yet in the end 2 of the 3 HSV cars that had illegal mods to their steering racks were built by.....Perkins.

Perkins recently came out in "Australian Muscle Car" magazine saying that the 1988 Tooheys 1000 was one that got away and that he believed Walkinshaw was death riding his #10 car by not sticking to its Perkins enforced rev limit. Typical Larry on that one ignoring the fact that he'd been caught cheating. If truth be told the cars DNF saved Holden and HSV the embarrassment of a post race DQ so Tom did them a favour, even if he didn't know it at the time. If car #10 had not retired there is a good chance it could have "won" the race as for the last 25 laps while Mezera was at the wheel of Longhurst's car it was suffering a break problem and was in no position to be pushed hard in a late race scrap for the lead (much like Moff's Falcon in 1977, but we all know how that ended). Holden and HSV were already somewhat in the public and media doghouse for the HSV VL Commodore being released so late (IIRC Holden had already launched the VN by the time the VL SV hit the race track), this would have been a PR disaster.

Last edited by Holden308; 29 Oct 2013 at 13:23.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 10:25 (Ref:3325855)   #44
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Holden308,

I pointed this out to the editors of Australian Muscle Magazine in a letter published in issue 68.

It would not have been good for the sport to have the winners of the Great Race disqualified two years in a row.
Old 1 Nov 2013, 13:45 (Ref:3325916)   #45
Holden308
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Holden308,

I pointed this out to the editors of Australian Muscle Magazine in a letter published in issue 68.

It would not have been good for the sport to have the winners of the Great Race disqualified two years in a row.
That was your letter saying the HSV team cars were as legal as a $3 note?
Old 2 Nov 2013, 02:13 (Ref:3326164)   #46
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden308 View Post
That was your letter saying the HSV team cars were as legal as a $3 note?
yes.
Old 2 Nov 2013, 16:51 (Ref:3326335)   #47
Holden308
Rookie

I still believe that the protest against the Aussie Sierra's (or at least, those with no English/European connection, not counting the Swedish Sierra) was not done to find any illegalities, it was simply done to disrupt race preparations. Why else would the protest have been lodged as soon as final qualifying finished and not earlier in the week? Although I think they did plan it that way, they were also shocked that the fastest Commodore (Perkins) was over 4.5 seconds slower than Dick Johnson's pole winning car.

Had to laugh at Walkinshaw's reason for only protesting the Australian built Sierra's....."they were the fastest ones". No credibility there since he protested the 12th placed Shell car, yet left alone the Moffat (Eggenberger) car and the Rouse kit Miedecke / Bagnall cars which were 4th, 5th and 6th fastest. Mad Andy and Bags also had Steve Soper and Pierre Dieudonné as co-drivers....
Old 30 Jul 2019, 10:33 (Ref:3920384)   #48
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr View Post
Terry Finnigan's Commodore punctured a tyre, depositing the carcass on Conrod. An unsighted Brock slammed into it, smashing the oil cooler and delaying the #56 car.
Interestingly with the full race released on DVD last year including what was happening during the ad breaks, Channel 7 was on-board with Brock during an ad break when he hit the tyre, yet it was never replayed.