Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 9 Jan 2008, 21:26 (Ref:2102925)   #1
7UpJordan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Yorkshire, UK
7UpJordan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race CV

I have made contact with a Formula Ford team that I am looking to arrange a test drive with soon. They asked if I could send them through my Race CV, trouble is I am new to motor racing and don't have any racing experience. I met with the team at the FF open day and explained I'm looking to get started in motorsport in FF and they recommended that I start with them as they have cheaper race fees than the other teams.

What do you think I should say?
Old 9 Jan 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2102950)   #2
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"No thanks".

I don't want to sound cynical, but if their only selling point is that they are cheap, I'd run a mile. You've explained your position, you're new to racing, they're just trying to bull**** you.

Speak to some more teams first, get a feel for what's going on. Then make a decision.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 21:58 (Ref:2102952)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman
"No thanks".

I don't want to sound cynical, but if their only selling point is that they are cheap, I'd run a mile. You've explained your position, you're new to racing, they're just trying to bull****

Speak to some more teams first, get a feel for what's going on.

VERY sound advice 7up,I would be extremely cautious about any teams that are cheap,there is usually a reason!!
Old 9 Jan 2008, 22:06 (Ref:2102957)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1. Do you have a race licence?
2. Do you have any racing school experience?
Old 9 Jan 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2102962)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=midgetman
Speak to some more teams first, get a feel for what's going on. Then make a decision.[/QUOTE]

Always a good idea anyways to know what out there on the market.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 22:18 (Ref:2102969)   #6
7UpJordan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Yorkshire, UK
7UpJordan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
1. Do you have a race licence?
2. Do you have any racing school experience?
I have a National B Licence and have also taken a 1-2 tuition course.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 23:01 (Ref:2103014)   #7
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7UpJordan
Am I ignorant of how things are in FFord?
Does everyone buy their first drives?
Or get out there in their own car, however slow, out-dated and cheap, because they can't afford anything else, to get some experience?
Good luck, but..........
John
Old 9 Jan 2008, 23:14 (Ref:2103024)   #8
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have made contact with a Formula Ford team that I am looking to arrange a test drive with soon. They asked if I could send them through my Race CV, trouble is I am new to motor racing and don't have any racing experience. I met with the team at the FF open day and explained I'm looking to get started in motorsport in FF and they recommended that I start with them as they have cheaper race fees than the other teams.

What do you think I should say?

that means YOU PAY THEM TO RACE.

Most ppl build or buy their own race cars.
Old 10 Jan 2008, 00:54 (Ref:2103074)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Well that's a good start. I would just be upfront. You can't lie about the fact you do not have any race experience. One must start somewhere and FF is a good place.
Old 13 Jan 2008, 02:39 (Ref:2105041)   #10
Austinspace75
Racer

England
Cardiff
Austinspace75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hang on. If this guys got the budget to buy his drive (I assume so from his first post), that's his business.

Also, telling the first team you come across to get stuffed before you've decided who to go with, is worth nothing to you. Ask around, find someone who's done the same (there have been many), search the FF forums, look at previous seasons results, see which teams were consistenly on the pace, count the DNFs/mechanical if possible, talk to some people, have a think, talk to some more, make up your mind, hire the drive that looks best on balance (and there's no reason why the first team you came to shouldn't be included in the same appraisal as any other teams you consider).

If you've got the budget to buy-drive, (depending however on which FF Ford Championship you are trying to enter), you might have the budget to hire some help from someone who knows. I don't know, but your steps and decisions are largely driven by your budget. Which makes this question difficult to answer more accurately.