Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 19 Aug 2012, 11:54 (Ref:3121741)   #901
Buildtech
Rookie

United Kingdom
Tasmania AUSTRALIA
Buildtech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri Carl View Post
Thanks Buildtech, they look good, but as you say, not much detail to be seen. It seems they were always in the background of other cars photographed.
Look forward to see the Pinkney ones when you find them.

Cheers, Carl
OK; here is a shot of the Dave Pinkney TDR RS500 from 1989. Dave's liveries were always based around, 'ere' pink? As you can see major sponsorship from Warranty Holdings and a distinctive pink, white and blue scheme.

Just to give you a better perspective, also shown is the Terry Dury Racing RS Cosworth from 1987-88 which Pinkney drove in the Production Saloon series with almost an identical scheme.
Attached Thumbnails
image0000018A.jpg   18410016A.JPG   RSCosBrands87.jpg  

Old 19 Aug 2012, 12:47 (Ref:3121750)   #902
Capri Carl
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Capri Carl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildtech View Post
OK; here is a shot of the Dave Pinkney TDR RS500 from 1989. Dave's liveries were always based around, 'ere' pink? As you can see major sponsorship from Warranty Holdings and a distinctive pink, white and blue scheme.

Just to give you a better perspective, also shown is the Terry Dury Racing RS Cosworth from 1987-88 which Pinkney drove in the Production Saloon series with almost an identical scheme.
Thanks Buildtech, very interesting! I had seen pics of the Pinkney Production Saloon, but didn't realise it was run by TDR.
I wonder if this Prod Saloon was turned into the Group A RS500 that he had in '89. Pinkney's Sierra was the only one with a Steel(painted white) cage,same as the Prod Saloon.
Great to know what happened to it after '89.

Cheers, Carl
Old 24 Sep 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3141038)   #903
martinlabatts
Racer

United Kingdom
southampton
martinlabatts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi,

anyone help me with any racing pitcures

from 1987 of any wolf sierras

xr4ti or sierra rs500
Old 19 Nov 2012, 16:36 (Ref:3168602)   #904
PAUL S
Rookie

PAUL S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a fairly new website and forum dedicated to the RS500 which is going from strength to strength, with many owners of original RS500 race cars on board if anyone wants to take a look and contribute

http://rs500owners.com/index.php
Old 8 Dec 2012, 20:38 (Ref:3176646)   #905
PAUL S
Rookie

Calling all owners of original RS500 touring cars worldwide

Would you be interested in participating in a visit to Australia to either parade or race your car at Bathurst against the local RS500s if your cars located in Europe/Far East and vice versa would any Australian/ Far East owners by interested in visiting the UK to do battle against the pommies? say at the Silverstone Classic.

The idea of opposing visits is currently being muted over on the RS500 owners forum, (an RS500 version of the ashes) and one of the owners of a UK example is keen to find out of sufficient interest is out there to make it happen.
Here is a link to a discussion thread on that forum

http://rs500owners.com/index.php?topic=472.0

Please take a read and contact Jim if you like the idea.

Alternatively just drop me an email to paul@cybersourced.com and I will pass your details across.

If you are aware of any owners anywhere in the world who maybe don't use the net can you please let them know, and see if they would like to be part of this opportunity - the more the merrier :up:

We appreciate any assistance that can be provided in getting the word around in order to make it happen.
Old 10 Dec 2012, 14:02 (Ref:3177107)   #906
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL S View Post
Calling all owners of original RS500 touring cars worldwide

Would you be interested in participating in a visit to Australia to either parade or race your car at Bathurst against the local RS500s if your cars located in Europe/Far East and vice versa would any Australian/ Far East owners by interested in visiting the UK to do battle against the pommies? say at the Silverstone Classic.

The idea of opposing visits is currently being muted over on the RS500 owners forum, (an RS500 version of the ashes) and one of the owners of a UK example is keen to find out of sufficient interest is out there to make it happen.
Here is a link to a discussion thread on that forum

http://rs500owners.com/index.php?topic=472.0

Please take a read and contact Jim if you like the idea.

Alternatively just drop me an email to paul@cybersourced.com and I will pass your details across.

If you are aware of any owners anywhere in the world who maybe don't use the net can you please let them know, and see if they would like to be part of this opportunity - the more the merrier :up:

We appreciate any assistance that can be provided in getting the word around in order to make it happen.
If the Australian cars come over it would make good sense to package it to bring the other Group A cars as well, the M3's, 635's, Skyline's etc.

Fantastic as this sounds, they would surely need it to be worth their while - coming across for a one-off race meeting, or even just exhibiting at Goodwood wouldn't be enough on it's own I doubt. Then there's people having to take the time off work I guess?

There are 2 series that could cater for the upto 1986 cars, both Ken's and Jonny's and Jonny's would cater for the RS500's, M3's and Godzillas etc...

It would be interesting to see how this develops....
Old 16 Dec 2012, 22:16 (Ref:3179284)   #907
Richieracer
Rookie

Richieracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Zealand Group A

Don't forget the KIWI's. The BMW M3 guys were planning a visit in a year or two and there's 3 or more RS500's in New Zealand.
There is lots of RS500's coming out the woodwork for next year in Australia. It will be a great year.
The Hertage Touring Cars will run a 5 round championship next year in Australia. The rules are very tight to ensure the cars remain close to how they were in the day.
I look forward to seeing all these RS500's in my BMW's Mirrors!!!
Old 16 Mar 2013, 21:29 (Ref:3219606)   #908
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Found this in the BTCC 2013 thread- pics from a test session at Brands earlier this week.

The red ex-Hodgetts Brooklyn car much in evidence...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletri...7632994348147/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletri...57632994348147

...but there was another red RS500 there. It certainly looks the part, but is it an original Group A car, or a modern build?

Old 17 Mar 2013, 02:43 (Ref:3219778)   #909
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
...but there was another red RS500 there. It certainly looks the part, but is it an original Group A car, or a modern build?

I would say its a modern build. Wheel offset is wrong for an RS500, and centrelock hubs/nuts look "home made" rather than originals.The front bumper is not RS500, and fuel filler is not convincing either. A look under the bonnet or underneath would be more telling though.

Conrad Timms
Old 17 Mar 2013, 22:06 (Ref:3220254)   #910
yesnomaybe
Racer

yesnomaybe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the plain liveried one crashed on the run into paddock, such a shame to see it damaged as it looked extremely tidy
Old 18 Mar 2013, 14:24 (Ref:3220595)   #911
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post
the plain liveried one crashed on the run into paddock, such a shame to see it damaged as it looked extremely tidy
There are photos on Facebook of the damage... but apparently the owner's upset that they've been published. Not sure what that's all about. In any event, I'm not going to link to them here in case there's trouble... but they're not too difficult to find if you look for them.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 15:34 (Ref:3220624)   #912
PAUL S
Rookie

The red one looks to be on the centre lock adapters and wheels made by Image. Probably a recent build trackday car.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 17:28 (Ref:3309686)   #913
io.stream.galaxy
Rookie

io.stream.galaxy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry for reviving an old thread but I couldn't find any info, and this thread looks like a good start for my problem.

I'm interested in any good quality pictures of AJTCC GrA Sierras. There's little to no info on them (except for Ciesse Piumini/Trampio one, as it's popular on the net thanks to Tamiya), let alone any good pictures on them. I found this thread thanks to PZR pictures but those are small and don't give out any necessary details (sponsors or whole livery paint).
I guess, there's some info in the japanese press or on the japanese forums but these resources are out of reach for me

The most wanted are Trampio (not Piumini) cars, Cosmo Oil or Dunlop/Shimizu ones, but to be honest anything will do really as its nearly impossible to find anything except few low quality footages on youtube or few unclear pictures, which don't help when I'm interested for example what is written on the Trampio no1 car from '89 or what sponsors are in the back of Cosmo Oil Sierra (I've deciphered from YT footage SSR and Endless but other two are mystery )

Thanks in advance and good day to everyone
Old 13 Oct 2013, 10:13 (Ref:3317082)   #914
Graham Clayton
Racer

Australia
South Windsor, NSW Australia
Graham Clayton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 1988 Tourist Trophy at Silverstone had probably the best line up of RS500s in the one race during the Group A era - all of the BTCC regulars, the Eggenberger and Wolf Racing teams from Germany, Dick Johnson from Australia, plus multiple ETCC privateers as well:

http://youtu.be/3ofV9WzPqz0
Old 13 Oct 2013, 10:45 (Ref:3317098)   #915
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Matthias RS500 (ex brock)at Silverstone yesteday, race winner in Blue Oval championship
Old 13 Oct 2013, 12:24 (Ref:3317128)   #916
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Clayton View Post
The 1988 Tourist Trophy at Silverstone had probably the best line up of RS500s in the one race during the Group A era - all of the BTCC regulars, the Eggenberger and Wolf Racing teams from Germany, Dick Johnson from Australia, plus multiple ETCC privateers as well:

http://youtu.be/3ofV9WzPqz0
That race will probably always go down as the unofficial Word Cup race for RS500's!

Bathurst had similarly strong Sierra entries in a couple of seasons as well though, and I think the Inter-tec race at Fuji one year featured a superb strength Cossie line up?
Old 1 Nov 2013, 00:59 (Ref:3325743)   #917
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stumbled across this on instagram. The Mike Newman RS500 looking in good condition, as if it only stopped racing yesterday. http://instagram.com/p/gEiPefkCSI/
Old 1 Nov 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3325812)   #918
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Stumbled across this on instagram. The Mike Newman RS500 looking in good condition, as if it only stopped racing yesterday. http://instagram.com/p/gEiPefkCSI/
The car is exactly as it was when it stopped racing (apart from a mechanical re-fettle to run at the RS Owners Club National Day at Donington Park in 2005 when it was one of only two cars that ran consistently & without problems in both track sessions!)
Old 2 Nov 2013, 12:53 (Ref:3326276)   #919
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Any images of the 635 from Mike's nephew?
Old 7 Nov 2013, 01:04 (Ref:3328281)   #920
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There you go http://instagram.com/p/gGgyMskCfz/
Old 7 Nov 2013, 16:51 (Ref:3328505)   #921
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Link hasn't come up craners....

but I found it anyrate.... from the front it still looks in v good nick?

Wonder if there are plans for the cars to be run again?
Old 17 Nov 2013, 16:16 (Ref:3332585)   #922
Mark.Silcock
Rookie

Mark.Silcock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all

Sorry I haven't taken the time to read all of this thread as it may have the answers I am after.

I am looking for driver interviews or quotes about what the RS500 GpA's were like to drive. I think I remember reading some of the drivers saying they were the hardest cars they have ever driven but finding those quotes are proving pretty hard!

If anyone has any information of what they where like back in the day I would be very interested in hearing from you.

Cheers
Mark
Old 18 Nov 2013, 14:32 (Ref:3333092)   #923
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I imagine you may have seen this track test done by Tiff Needell back in the day, but here it is in case you haven't.

Top Gear report.
Old 18 Nov 2013, 14:55 (Ref:3333101)   #924
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Silcock View Post
Hi all

Sorry I haven't taken the time to read all of this thread as it may have the answers I am after.

I am looking for driver interviews or quotes about what the RS500 GpA's were like to drive. I think I remember reading some of the drivers saying they were the hardest cars they have ever driven but finding those quotes are proving pretty hard!

If anyone has any information of what they where like back in the day I would be very interested in hearing from you.

Cheers
Mark
If you can get access to old Autosports. I used to get that and Motoring News at the time. Did most rounds 1988-1990.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 08:33 (Ref:3333496)   #925
Graham Clayton
Racer

Australia
South Windsor, NSW Australia
Graham Clayton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Silcock View Post
Hi all

Cheers
Mark
Mark,

Here are Dick Johnson and John Bowe giving their memories of racing Sierras back in the late 1980's:

http://youtu.be/B0TcptAlu4E

Tags
andrew miedecke, andy rouse, atcc, btcc, colin bond, dick johnson, dtm, eggenberger, ford sierra rs500, graham goode racing, group a, peter brock, trakstar, wtcc