Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jul 2017, 16:42 (Ref:3751900)   #76
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Most records are easy when you have the best car.

Fangio, drove in less World Championship races than any modern driver, because there were far fewer in the '50's, but he won 50% of them.
When will THAT record be beaten?
Don't most of the best drivers have the best cars. Rosemayer, fangio, Schumacher, Vettel, Hamilton, button to name a few have all had utterly dominant cars and would have their championships without them
Old 16 Jul 2017, 17:34 (Ref:3751931)   #77
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I'm not sure if my post got people riled up, but I wasn't asking about records or trying to discredit anyone for having the best car. More wondering if people view someone like ricciardo, who improves his spots from qualifying more so than others as better or the ones that put it up front and stay there more often. It wasn't trying to pick an argument between drivers.

Was a fun race. Bottas is a serious contender at this point. Got to wonder if the bits Ferrari were forced to take off before last race means its back to Mercedes being a clear #1. Something about a flexible underbody piece or something? And maybe using oil in the fuel was mentioned abput Ferrari too.

Always fun watching verstappen when he's close to others. Once it's all.spread out, he can't show what he can do as much. His fight with vettel was great.
Certainly NOT riled up, just tossing in a record that I suspect might never (never, say never) be broken.

Personally I think these spurious statistics bandied about are just commentators floss, it seems there always some 'first' about to be reached.

Like my Fangio post, one can not realistically compare the various eras with each other, so winning more races that X does not diminish X's achievement.

Still it keeps the children happy.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 17:38 (Ref:3751935)   #78
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well that was a good race and the atmosphere shows why the British GP needs to stay.

Lewis what a drive, he certainly seemed to have that bit extra incentive to do it for his fans and after criticism for missing London, I found him interacting with the fans to be a top mark, as was giving Billywhizz and the other one with Cancer who's name I forgot, his time

Also well done Bottas, he's on a roll at the moment. If he continues like this, who knows? He's certainly justified his place in the team after doubts at the beginning of the season

Raikkonen seemed to be on top form, shame about that puncture, but hey at least Vettel's puncture meant he got the podium back

Nice to see Max at last finish a race again, his battle with Vettel was exciting, although I agree with Webber, he needs to watch his moving in the braking area. Would probably been a podium if they hadn't made that precautionary pitstop. And what a recovery from the Honey Badger too

The Hulk also impressed, taking full advantage of his latest updates and scoring a well earned 6th. Feel for Palmer, did well to get 11th on the grid despite not having the latest updates and then doesn't even get to start his home GP. Although he hasn't been performing as well as the Hulk, he certainly could sympathise with Max and Fred in the bad luck steaks this season.

And further to Razzor's point on Kyvat, Sainz could not have gone any wider, so it's stupid how Kyvat claims he shut the door
Old 16 Jul 2017, 17:48 (Ref:3751942)   #79
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Thanks goodness that Vettel had the issue - only because that means we do not have to hear any boooooooooooooooo's at the podium.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3751949)   #80
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Great weekend for Lewis. Utterly dominant from start to finish. Not going to say I'm disappointed about Vettel, karmas a ***** so it's even now this year. 1 point at half distance just shows how close it is
Old 16 Jul 2017, 20:05 (Ref:3751981)   #81
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
My God, what junk is that Pirelli tire.
Do they really think I want that kind of thrash on my car?
Thanks but no thanks, I'll buy a Michelin or a Dunlop instead.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 20:08 (Ref:3751983)   #82
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It worked well enough for some.......
Old 16 Jul 2017, 20:15 (Ref:3751989)   #83
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Drive a Firestone.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 20:16 (Ref:3751990)   #84
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yeah cos Michelin were brilliant. Especially at the US GP in 2005.

Pirelli were slaughtered in some quarters for producing tyres that were too durable earlier this year...
Old 16 Jul 2017, 20:20 (Ref:3751993)   #85
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
MY GOD, what an over reaction!

2 tyres go down, on the same car. After a very high speed, high loading Grand Prix.

Guess you will be ok with your road car, unless it's a Ferrari.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 20:22 (Ref:3751995)   #86
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Pirelli were slaughtered in some quarters for producing tyres that were too durable earlier this year...
Well there is degradation and just plain right going flat/exploding/whatever.

Pirelli is just producing junk, just as Continental is doing is IMSA. I just can't decide which one is worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Guess you will be ok with your road car, unless it's a Ferrari.
Can't afford a Ferrari, sadly. And if I could, I would probably buy a Porsche instead
Old 16 Jul 2017, 21:06 (Ref:3752013)   #87
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Copse flat out! [/QUOTE]

Copse has long been flat out for any slicks & wings single seater.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 21:14 (Ref:3752018)   #88
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Ooh-er!

Sent from my HANKY-PANKY PIGGYPANTS K3V876 using Tonkaballs
Old 16 Jul 2017, 21:18 (Ref:3752021)   #89
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Kimi runs into Hamilton. Vettel wins. Hamilton 11th. Kimi get's 2018 contract.

Sounds like a possible outcome you think??

No. Next?

Old 16 Jul 2017, 21:52 (Ref:3752031)   #90
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Well there is degradation and just plain right going flat/exploding/whatever.
that depends if the tyres were used within the operating guidelines the teams were given or not. if they were then pirelli has a lot to answer for. if they weren't then it's on the teams.

i've not seen anything on the major news sites from pirelli about those failures and the teams haven't exactly kicked off so...
Old 16 Jul 2017, 22:20 (Ref:3752046)   #91
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If such a thing as a perfect race tire/ compound exists surely some will use it well and other will not.
Generally think Pirelli are doing a good job this year though.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 22:32 (Ref:3752047)   #92
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes I second that, there has been less high deg than before and it's benefitted the sport
Old 17 Jul 2017, 02:47 (Ref:3752058)   #93
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkione View Post
Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Ooh-er!

Sent from my HANKY-PANKY PIGGYPANTS K3V876 using Tonkaballs

[/QUOTE]

Old 17 Jul 2017, 09:30 (Ref:3752091)   #94
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkione View Post
Copse flat out!
Quote:
Copse has long been flat out for any slicks & wings single seater.
Flat out for Locost too (or was when I was racing), if your testicles are large enough. Which is only about 105mph, still scary though.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 09:33 (Ref:3752092)   #95
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Presumably a Ferrari fan? Since none of the other teams suffered the same issue, doesn't that sort of implies a problem with the car/team, not the tyre?

Pirelli have be making tyres since 1872. I'm pretty sure they know how to make them by now.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 10:10 (Ref:3752104)   #96
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Flat out for Locost too (or was when I was racing), if your testicles are large enough. Which is only about 105mph, still scary though.
I could do the old Copse flat out in my Mini Se7en in 1983 but this was less to do with my testicular dimensions and more to do with how slow my car was!
Old 17 Jul 2017, 10:34 (Ref:3752106)   #97
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Presumably a Ferrari fan? Since none of the other teams suffered the same issue, doesn't that sort of implies a problem with the car/team, not the tyre?

Pirelli have be making tyres since 1872. I'm pretty sure they know how to make them by now.
No, not a Ferrari fan. I like Porsches though.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 11:31 (Ref:3752119)   #98
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
No, not a Ferrari fan. I like Porsches though.
Me too. Specially Porsche cars from the 1960's - 2015 era. Some of, if not THE best handling cars ever produced!
Old 17 Jul 2017, 14:10 (Ref:3752154)   #99
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I think I'd rather crash the F1 than the Locost though!
Old 18 Jul 2017, 10:36 (Ref:3752355)   #100
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I think I'd rather crash the F1 than the Locost though!
Yup, although being tee-boned on the exit of Maggots after a spin (not my fault) resulted only in a sore neck.

It is amazing how robust F1 cars are, so much more than all other racing cars. Some of the classic race cars are death traps.